Flapjack Lakes Trail

Flapjack Lakes Trail is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 13.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,658 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 6.5 miles to Staircase Ranger Station and the trailhead.

As previous people had mentioned, there isn't much to see on the way up to the lakes. Not too scenic of an actual trail but once at the top, the lakes are great! We did some fishing while we were up there and caught 3 keepers in about an hour and a half. Spent the night then headed over to Black and White Lakes in the morning.

my pa n I went up da hill and saw some lakes there was nice and buggy.

The fallen trees mentioned earlier have been cleared out when I went up on July 2nd and there are no obstacles that requires climbing over that I could see. It starts out as a gentle trail, after you leave the river trail there's a few switchbacks but after Madeleine creek it starts getting really steep and gets worse until you hit the top. It's not a scenic trail and it's pretty boring until you get to the lakes, but they are really nice and there's a lot of good camping spots. Good place for an overnight trip.

It was fun but big fallen trees made it hard for a short person. Very challenging but lots of beautiful views.

Fun but very difficult. Quite a few trees across trail, too much snow this time of the year up top, but besides that a good hike.

I didn’t do the full loop, hiked up to the turn and back. Road was closed 1 mile from start so full distance in and out was just under 10 miles. Did it afternoon of March 3rd. Definitely still snowy, but packed down so no snowshoes needed. Micro spikes would’ve been helpful but you’ll be fine with waterproof boots with good grip if you have good balance. It’s beautiful, would like to do the full loop in the summer.

We hiked this trail the day after Mt Ellinor and greatly preferred the length and trail conditions. If you like long hikes with gentle grades, combined with doable ascents this is a highly recommended hike. The views at Flapjack Lakes did not disappoint, but it made us wonder if we should have left earlier and tried Gladys Pass. Total length is 15 miles, which we completed in a fairly casual 6.5 hours.

Nice hike with easy access to many beautiful & refreshing swimming holes close to the trailhead very convenient for summer hikes with little ones.

Absolutely beautiful! The trailhead is crowded - lots of trails start here. And the first half mile of the trail was a bit busy, but after that we were mostly alone. Yea, it gets steep, but really nothing crazy. Beautiful campground, with sites pretty spread out. A great swim with great views! One annoyance: there is some water flowing between the two lakes - but it was far from our campsite. So drinking water wasn’t as close as we’d like. Get out there! Enjoy!!

We made it in one day.It was quite difficult and I must say that the difficulty doesnt worth it. As one lady said It is good workout. The way is full of stones and the last past is quite steep. At the end of trail are 2 lakes (nothing special). Maybe if you plan to continue to the divide it would be nice because of view. But today was smoky because of fires. A hiker from Czech rep.

I did not make it all the way to the lake due to lots of smoke from the wildfire in Hamma Hamma not too far away, and very hot. I would classify this as a more difficult hike carrying an overnight backpack. Trail was in good condition, some pesky wasps circling my head for much of the hike. I look forward to trying it again when it cools down and the smoke clears out.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Great hike, beautiful lake, definitely coming back soon

Friday, June 22, 2018

With the intention of hiking Marmot Pass and Buckhorn mountain, we made last minute changes due to weather and chose Gladys Divide as our overnight destination. Seeing Flapjack Lakes rated as moderate, having finished the trail we would definitely say it should be rated as hard(ish), especially if you have the intention of bringing gear to sleep the night and travel the extra 3 miles rt to Gladys Divide. Around 3.5 miles in (cake walk), the trail junction for Flapjack Lakes is on the right hand side and immediately forces you to gain plenty of elevation over 3.7 miles. The last half mile is brutal and we got lost at the Black and White Lakes junction that splits off to Flapjack. On our way back we saw the sign post face down on the ground so I think that’s why we initially got lost haha. Make sure to turn off right before the last Creek you encounter that drains off Flapjack Lakes. We ended up crossing the creek and then cutting right and bushwhacked through terrible Alderwood until we met the trail. A few blown down trees obscure the trail, but it’s not too long until you reach the lakes. It’s beautiful with Olympic Sawtooth mountains overlooking the lakes. However the 8.2 miles clocked in didn’t feel “worth it” in all honesty since those 8.2 miles are without any views until you make it to the lakes. I injured my LCL on the way up and our plans to daypack up to Gladys Divide the following morning was thrown out. By the looks of it, Gladys Divide would of made the trip worth it, those jagged peaks and marvelous meadows past the forest have got to be beautiful this time of year and probably will continue getting more and more pretty. We met a few groups that saw a Bear in the forest towards the Divide so be cautious. Plenty of bear wire around to hang scented items or just bring a bear canister to be safe, that’s what we did. A group next to us said they think they were stalked by mountain lion the previous night after seeing reflecting eyes everywhere they went as they wandered back to camp in the dark. Overall, this place is true Olympic Backcountry and I enjoyed it. However, not completing Gladys Divide made the trip decent at best! Those looking for a moderate overnight hike should know that this “moderate” hike is physically demanding for backpacking.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Beautiful trail with plenty to see including beautiful waterfalls and plenty of flowers. I would rate it a bit more than moderate however. Based on the length and elevation gain alone. I've climbed Mount ellinor several times and it's rated hard but I found this Trail to be more taxing. nearly all of the elevation Gain is in the second half. According to the signs the round-trip is 16 Mi not 13.9 and it certainly felt that way. We started up the trail at quarter till 1 in the afternoon which we knew was a late start, but we got back to the car at 10:30 at night. Thank goodness for headlamps. Beautiful views at the lake and it would certainly be worth an overnight camp which is how we will do it next time. it took us 5 hours to get up including some tops for photography and rest and 4 hours to get down.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

amazing hike!

Monday, December 04, 2017

I love this hike but when we went there today the road to the trailhead is closed to not just vehicles but hikers too. It’s been washed out. :o(

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Great hike. Parked in lower parking and missed starting point off staircase. The trail is great up to cutoff for flapjack. Once on the flapjack trail, the trail starts to steeply climb, leveling at about 1.5 miles up. Almost made it to the lake (within a mile) but had to turn back due to time. It took 2 hours to hike back to the parking area.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Just so beautiful. This lake is amazing. It was beautiful to walk around and when I went there was a raft we paddled around on.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Lakes and snowmelt creeks are pristine.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great hike. First 4 miles are a breeze. Last 4 miles or so are all uphill. Was able to get to the lakes in 7 hours. Back to the trail head in 4 hours. Still snow over the trail in spots in the last half mile. Couple trees were down.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

awesome

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Good hike overall. Agree with what has been stated. First 3.5-4 miles are a breeze. The last 4 are fairly steep. Bring lots of water, especially on hot days. I went through over 3L on a warm day. The lakes at the top are pretty serene, but there are so many flies and mosquitos around them that I ended up leaving a bit hastily. The way down is much easier/ faster per usual. Good hike, but not my favorite. Ideal if you are looking for a lower traffic challenging moderate hike with decent views.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

First hour or so is a very easy trek. There are A LOT of mosquitoes, flies, and bees on this trail so just be cautious and ready for that. The last 4 miles or so you're just on an upward ascent. For what it's worth, I never take for granted views that nature has to offer but this one was sub-par for the work you put into it.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! Bring bug spray because the bugs were thick at the lakes in August. Also bring a swimsuit for the lakes to take a swim on hot days.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Tough hike for your average run of the mill hiker. Beautiful area beautiful lake. First 4 miles are very easy then the last 4 miles are straight up with not many level spots. If you are just beginning at backpacking and not conditioned well it's most likely not for you. Starting off on an easier trail would make things more enjoyable and then work your way up to this one. Not many views (good views from what I hear are another mile and a half up the trail and another 1k incline). Mountain blueberries were plentiful and delicious this time of year.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Did this as my first hike! Went all the way up and hit too much snow and ice to finish the last .15 miles to the lakes. Awesome and worthwhile day hike for sure or camp for the day.

Monday, August 17, 2015

My very first hike ever. We arrived at the trailhead 10:30 pm on July 31st. Hiked the 7.5 miles through the night underneath the blue moon. The lake was very warm, swimming was fantastic. All in all a very good experience, I am hooked! Absolutely worth it.