Flapjack Lakes Trail

Flapjack Lakes Trail is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 13.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,658 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 6.5 miles to Staircase Ranger Station and the trailhead.

This was my first hike to Flapjack Lakes. October 13 , 2019, no snow and the trail conditions were great. The first four miles, for the most part, lacked scenery. The climb really begins at the turn off for the lakes. Pretty steep and rugged in places with a brief view of Lightening Peak. Flapjack Lakes were beautiful and worth the miles.

The uphill was rough but the lake made it completely worth it!!! It was the most peaceful place I have ever been, literally the only sound I could hear was my breath!!! Ran back to the parking area. Have never had so much fun on a downhill than I did running this trail!!

My husband and I and friends have backpacked just below Flapjack Lakes (where you can camp next to the water and have a fire) for close to 10 years now. We went over Labor Day weekend this year, and it was the best experience yet -- although weather was a little colder than usual, as well as overcast with light sprinkles here and there. Bugs were practically non-existent, which is extremely rare for Flapjacks. Trail was in great condition as usual. Because we headed up the trail early on Friday (of Labor Day weekend), there were only 4 or 5 vehicles parked, and very very few people in the area while hiking. By the time we got down to Staircase, it was the most crowded I have ever seen it there in 10 years' time! Hike is always a challenge, and the lakes and the trail in my opinion are beautiful, and I go every year for those reasons ! I wouldn't listen to the reviews that say it's not worth the hike. (-:

awesome hike fishing great

This trail definitely has some great views along the way up and would’ve definitely enjoyed floating in the river. The hike up is extremely taxing (walking poles would be highly recommended). While all trails says it’s 13.9 miles out and back, one way it clocks in at 8 miles. You need to continue across the suspension bridge to the trail for flapjack which isn’t very clear at first. But overall a nice place to sit and enjoy lunch

You have to cross the bridge and continue it’s 8.1 miles from the parking lot to the lake

Day Hike. Gradual climb from stair case till you turn to flapjack lake. Climb gets steeper as you go. Day Hike there and back is no problem

As previous people had mentioned, there isn't much to see on the way up to the lakes. Not too scenic of an actual trail but once at the top, the lakes are great! We did some fishing while we were up there and caught 3 keepers in about an hour and a half. Spent the night then headed over to Black and White Lakes in the morning.

my pa n I went up da hill and saw some lakes there was nice and buggy.

The fallen trees mentioned earlier have been cleared out when I went up on July 2nd and there are no obstacles that requires climbing over that I could see. It starts out as a gentle trail, after you leave the river trail there's a few switchbacks but after Madeleine creek it starts getting really steep and gets worse until you hit the top. It's not a scenic trail and it's pretty boring until you get to the lakes, but they are really nice and there's a lot of good camping spots. Good place for an overnight trip.

It was fun but big fallen trees made it hard for a short person. Very challenging but lots of beautiful views.

Fun but very difficult. Quite a few trees across trail, too much snow this time of the year up top, but besides that a good hike.

I didn’t do the full loop, hiked up to the turn and back. Road was closed 1 mile from start so full distance in and out was just under 10 miles. Did it afternoon of March 3rd. Definitely still snowy, but packed down so no snowshoes needed. Micro spikes would’ve been helpful but you’ll be fine with waterproof boots with good grip if you have good balance. It’s beautiful, would like to do the full loop in the summer.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

We hiked this trail the day after Mt Ellinor and greatly preferred the length and trail conditions. If you like long hikes with gentle grades, combined with doable ascents this is a highly recommended hike. The views at Flapjack Lakes did not disappoint, but it made us wonder if we should have left earlier and tried Gladys Pass. Total length is 15 miles, which we completed in a fairly casual 6.5 hours.

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Nice hike with easy access to many beautiful & refreshing swimming holes close to the trailhead very convenient for summer hikes with little ones.

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Absolutely beautiful! The trailhead is crowded - lots of trails start here. And the first half mile of the trail was a bit busy, but after that we were mostly alone. Yea, it gets steep, but really nothing crazy. Beautiful campground, with sites pretty spread out. A great swim with great views! One annoyance: there is some water flowing between the two lakes - but it was far from our campsite. So drinking water wasn’t as close as we’d like. Get out there! Enjoy!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

We made it in one day.It was quite difficult and I must say that the difficulty doesnt worth it. As one lady said It is good workout. The way is full of stones and the last past is quite steep. At the end of trail are 2 lakes (nothing special). Maybe if you plan to continue to the divide it would be nice because of view. But today was smoky because of fires. A hiker from Czech rep.

Friday, August 10, 2018

I did not make it all the way to the lake due to lots of smoke from the wildfire in Hamma Hamma not too far away, and very hot. I would classify this as a more difficult hike carrying an overnight backpack. Trail was in good condition, some pesky wasps circling my head for much of the hike. I look forward to trying it again when it cools down and the smoke clears out.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Great hike, beautiful lake, definitely coming back soon

Friday, June 22, 2018

With the intention of hiking Marmot Pass and Buckhorn mountain, we made last minute changes due to weather and chose Gladys Divide as our overnight destination. Seeing Flapjack Lakes rated as moderate, having finished the trail we would definitely say it should be rated as hard(ish), especially if you have the intention of bringing gear to sleep the night and travel the extra 3 miles rt to Gladys Divide. Around 3.5 miles in (cake walk), the trail junction for Flapjack Lakes is on the right hand side and immediately forces you to gain plenty of elevation over 3.7 miles. The last half mile is brutal and we got lost at the Black and White Lakes junction that splits off to Flapjack. On our way back we saw the sign post face down on the ground so I think that’s why we initially got lost haha. Make sure to turn off right before the last Creek you encounter that drains off Flapjack Lakes. We ended up crossing the creek and then cutting right and bushwhacked through terrible Alderwood until we met the trail. A few blown down trees obscure the trail, but it’s not too long until you reach the lakes. It’s beautiful with Olympic Sawtooth mountains overlooking the lakes. However the 8.2 miles clocked in didn’t feel “worth it” in all honesty since those 8.2 miles are without any views until you make it to the lakes. I injured my LCL on the way up and our plans to daypack up to Gladys Divide the following morning was thrown out. By the looks of it, Gladys Divide would of made the trip worth it, those jagged peaks and marvelous meadows past the forest have got to be beautiful this time of year and probably will continue getting more and more pretty. We met a few groups that saw a Bear in the forest towards the Divide so be cautious. Plenty of bear wire around to hang scented items or just bring a bear canister to be safe, that’s what we did. A group next to us said they think they were stalked by mountain lion the previous night after seeing reflecting eyes everywhere they went as they wandered back to camp in the dark. Overall, this place is true Olympic Backcountry and I enjoyed it. However, not completing Gladys Divide made the trip decent at best! Those looking for a moderate overnight hike should know that this “moderate” hike is physically demanding for backpacking.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Beautiful trail with plenty to see including beautiful waterfalls and plenty of flowers. I would rate it a bit more than moderate however. Based on the length and elevation gain alone. I've climbed Mount ellinor several times and it's rated hard but I found this Trail to be more taxing. nearly all of the elevation Gain is in the second half. According to the signs the round-trip is 16 Mi not 13.9 and it certainly felt that way. We started up the trail at quarter till 1 in the afternoon which we knew was a late start, but we got back to the car at 10:30 at night. Thank goodness for headlamps. Beautiful views at the lake and it would certainly be worth an overnight camp which is how we will do it next time. it took us 5 hours to get up including some tops for photography and rest and 4 hours to get down.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

amazing hike!

Monday, December 04, 2017

I love this hike but when we went there today the road to the trailhead is closed to not just vehicles but hikers too. It’s been washed out. :o(

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Great hike. Parked in lower parking and missed starting point off staircase. The trail is great up to cutoff for flapjack. Once on the flapjack trail, the trail starts to steeply climb, leveling at about 1.5 miles up. Almost made it to the lake (within a mile) but had to turn back due to time. It took 2 hours to hike back to the parking area.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Just so beautiful. This lake is amazing. It was beautiful to walk around and when I went there was a raft we paddled around on.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Lakes and snowmelt creeks are pristine.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Great hike. First 4 miles are a breeze. Last 4 miles or so are all uphill. Was able to get to the lakes in 7 hours. Back to the trail head in 4 hours. Still snow over the trail in spots in the last half mile. Couple trees were down.