Learn more

Flapjack Lakes Trail is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Length 13.9 mi Elevation gain 3,658 ft Route type Out & Back

Facilities
Contact
Getting There

A National Parks Pass is required to park here

Olympic National Park Wilderness Information Center 3002 Mount Angeles Road Port Angeles, WA 98362 Tel: 360.565.3100

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 6.5 miles to Staircase Ranger Station and the trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (114)
Photos (292)
Recordings (67)
Completed (244)
Abhi Doddapaneni
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingOver grown

Great trail, just a lot of bugs!

Chris Tess
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingRocky

Rocky on the first 4 miles, than hit the trail to Flapjack it was a creek bed all the way up. Elevation gain was brutal not for the weak.

James Welch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
Backpacking

Beautiful lake with backdrop of the Sawtooth Range. We were there to set up base camp for fishing and day hiking. The brook trout in the lake are delicious! From Flapjacks we took a mesmerizing day hike up to Gladys Divide and onward to summit Mount Gladys. The last four miles from the Black and White Lakes/Flapjack Lakes Junction were pretty brutal with an overweight pack (50 pounds). If you plan on camping, scrub some weight!

Caryn Carter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingFeeRocky

Beautiful hike and getting to the lakes is well worth it. The lakes are a gorgeous variation of greens and teals. The mountains peaking over the tops of the trees reflected off the serene lake surface. It is definitely a little 'difficult'; not a technical trail, just has a steady grade all the way and gets increasingly steeper over the last bit, our legs were a little jello-y by the end. As other hikers mentioned, it is actually closer to 16 miles not 13.9. The substrate varies throughout which helps to keep things interesting. The landscape is beautiful with some creek crossings, bridges and tucked away waterfalls. We were worried about hiking on a Sunday due to so many people out on the trails lately, especially over the weekends, but we came across only 10 other hikers and 4 trail runners on a 6-ish hour hike.

Gordon Friedman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
Hiking

Went August 2019. There was probably an additional 500 ft climb than advertised. Trail was beautiful but challenging. The campground at the lakes was nice.

Julia Wilkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddy

Really nice trail, definitely a bit of a haul but doable as a day hike for sure. Flat for 4 miles, then picks up some elevation for the final 4 up to the lake. Nice trail part ways around the lake as well. Lakes were super pretty! Trail conditions overall good, a bit muddy and slick at times but overall a really nice long trail.

View Julia's Recording
Erik Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingMuddy

*Hiked 6/14/20. When I arrived at Flapjack Lakes I discovered the brown Whole Foods bag of snacks I packed for the hike was gone. If you happened to find it on the trail, I'd love to know where so as to prevent it from happening again. Please email me at eadams5 AT alumni.nd.edu. Thanks* Trail is in great shape to the lakes with no snow and only a handful of blowdowns that are easy to circumvent. Immediately upon arriving at the Lakes I spotted a large black bear grazing on the eastern shore of the east lake. A second, smaller black bear ran across the trail about 1/4 of the way to Gladys Divide. The trail to Gladys Divide is mostly snow free through the trees but ~80% snow covered beyond that to the Divide. Poles and microspikes were helpful but not required. From the Divide to the summit of Mount Gladys it's ~99% snow, with good route finding skills, poles and microspikes required. From the summit, I glissaded down the opposite ridge to Black and White Lakes. It's relatively easy going and always preferable to do a loop but be prepared for some bushwhacking and ready to use good navigation skills. Black and White Lakes are melted out. The primitive trail to Big Log is as steep and overgrown as advertised, but doable for prepared hikers.

Rachel Bouchard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 12 2020
Hiking

Such a beautiful trail! Very steep and long, it is definitely more than 13.9 miles. I hiked the trail in 6/8 my watch recorded 15.1. Unfortunately I turned back before I could reach the lakes. The trail is not too well trafficked when I was hiking I heard some animal noise and there have been bear sightings in the area so just be weary ! I definitely recommend hopefully next time I’ll be able to make it all the way up.

Collette Wylie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
Hiking

Beautiful, long and challenging trail completed 6/5. Not crowded, ran into 2 other groups at the top who reported a bear sighting from afar. Definitely 17 miles! Parking lot requires a park pass/day pass. Would love to come back here when backpacking is allowed again at the lakes!

David Fuller
Hiking

We only took this to the first camp site a few miles in, but it was spectacular! Nice views along the way, Crystal blue river, moss covered trees. 10/10.

View David's Recording
Amanda Cherkauskas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 05 2020
Hiking

It’s a long day hike, our watch recorded 17 miles around trip. I would definitely go back and backpack. Nice mountain view on the background of the lake. No bears!

Wade Hamre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 05 2020
HikingBlowdownRocky

Hiked on 6/4/2020. My trail recording had the total length out and back at 15.8 miles with a few detours to check out some views. Definitely more than 13.9 miles round trip per all trails. Started at 6am and got back down at 11:30am. Trail is in decent shape. Overall a great hike with relative elevation gain up to the lakes and awesome views of the Skokomish River throughout the lower part of the hike! Recommend

Nicholas Ghiglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 28 2020
Hiking

Trail up to the lakes can get steep at times, especially with a full pack. But the lakes and surrounding scenery, sawtooth range if I recall are gorgeous, and it proves a great spot to camp for a few days. We encountered quite a few bears at higher altitudes, come prepared

Bob Jensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
HikingSnow

I did this trail yesterday! My GPS said it was about 16 miles round trip. There were a couple of patches of snow to cross in the last half mile and I sank through a couple of times, but other than that it was beyond amazing! Great challenging trail and the lakes are stunning!

Joel Hecker
Hiking

I did this today and connected over to Black and White Lakes. The extra 1,000 feet elevation to those lakes resulted in a ton of snow. Flapjacks are clear and the trail is in great condition. Had it all to myself. Didn't see another soul until i got back to the staircase loop. no issue with bugs yet.

james Aliff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 23 2020
HikingSnow

I tried to make it to the lakes Yesterday but stopped at Madeline Creek. The snow starts there and we did not prepare for snow. Maybe next time

A.j. Gordon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 13 2020
HikingOff trailSnow

Went up for an overnight backpacking trip last weekend. Trail is in great shape for the first 3 miles outside of Staircase. After about a mile past the turnoff to the Flapjacks trail, we had to put on our micro spikes due to snow/ice. At about the 5 mile mark, the snow level was knee deep, sometimes thigh deep (we didn’t think to bring our snowshoes based on previous condition reports). GPS was the only way to follow the trail. Slow going but we made it to Flapjacks lake in 5.5 hours (from start). We hammock camped by the lake, which was frozen and covered in snow. Our decent Sunday was much easier as we were able to follow our tracks and it only took 3.5 hours to get back to the parking lot. Overall, great weekend, and looking forward to seeing the trail this spring/summer again.

Zac Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Dec 23 2019
HikingSnow

Great hike in the snow 12/22/19! We were the only ones on the trail yesterday. The snow started by the turn to go up to the lake at 3.5 miles but was only a couple inches until about a mile from the lake where it was about 6 inches then it went up to a foot deep the last half mile. The trail was easy to follow even with the snow and no foot prints from anyone else to follow (we had never been there before either). The lake was frozen and covered with snow but still a great destination with views of snowy peaks.

Chris W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 27 2019
Hiking

Hiked 10/26/19. This is a great, long hike. Love this forest; feels magical, hiking next to this amazing blue river. Lots of little things to see along the way; water runoffs, mushrooms, bridge, huge old trees covered in moss, small creatures, and the mountain tops peaking out. Feels super secluded. Keep in mind this hike is in a crevasse between hills and mountains. The sun doesn’t reach down in some areas, so plan accordingly for cooler temps and low light areas.

Reid Herman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 22 2019
HikingRocky

Outstanding trail and campground at the lakes. Trail gets steep after the Madeline Creek bridge. Trip is well worth the climb!

Michael Buchanan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 13 2019
Hiking

This was my first hike to Flapjack Lakes. October 13 , 2019, no snow and the trail conditions were great. The first four miles had beautiful fall colors. The climb really begins at the turn off for the lakes. Pretty steep and rugged in places with a brief view of Lightening Peak. Flapjack Lakes were beautiful and worth the miles.

View Michael's Recording
Mnkyfnacoconut2 Blaylock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 08 2019
Hiking

The uphill was rough but the lake made it completely worth it!!! It was the most peaceful place I have ever been, literally the only sound I could hear was my breath!!! Ran back to the parking area. Have never had so much fun on a downhill than I did running this trail!!

View Mnkyfnacoconut2's Recording
Rachel Ashe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

My husband and I and friends have backpacked just below Flapjack Lakes (where you can camp next to the water and have a fire) for close to 10 years now. We went over Labor Day weekend this year, and it was the best experience yet -- although weather was a little colder than usual, as well as overcast with light sprinkles here and there. Bugs were practically non-existent, which is extremely rare for Flapjacks. Trail was in great condition as usual. Because we headed up the trail early on Friday (of Labor Day weekend), there were only 4 or 5 vehicles parked, and very very few people in the area while hiking. By the time we got down to Staircase, it was the most crowded I have ever seen it there in 10 years' time! Hike is always a challenge, and the lakes and the trail in my opinion are beautiful, and I go every year for those reasons ! I wouldn't listen to the reviews that say it's not worth the hike. (-:

Tom Marler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 07 2019
HikingBlowdownBugs

awesome hike fishing great

Rachael Elizabeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 04 2019
Hiking

This trail definitely has some great views along the way up and would’ve definitely enjoyed floating in the river. The hike up is extremely taxing (walking poles would be highly recommended). While all trails says it’s 13.9 miles out and back, one way it clocks in at 8 miles. You need to continue across the suspension bridge to the trail for flapjack which isn’t very clear at first. But overall a nice place to sit and enjoy lunch