Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Flapjack Lakes Trail is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 13.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,658 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Hoodsport, west 9 miles on Lake Cushman Road to Forest Service Road 24. Turn left and drive 6.5 miles to Staircase Ranger Station and the trailhead.

I did this trail yesterday! My GPS said it was about 16 miles round trip. There were a couple of patches of snow to cross in the last half mile and I sank through a couple of times, but other than that it was beyond amazing! Great challenging trail and the lakes are stunning!

I did this today and connected over to Black and White Lakes. The extra 1,000 feet elevation to those lakes resulted in a ton of snow. Flapjacks are clear and the trail is in great condition. Had it all to myself. Didn't see another soul until i got back to the staircase loop. no issue with bugs yet.

I tried to make it to the lakes Yesterday but stopped at Madeline Creek. The snow starts there and we did not prepare for snow. Maybe next time

Went up for an overnight backpacking trip last weekend. Trail is in great shape for the first 3 miles outside of Staircase. After about a mile past the turnoff to the Flapjacks trail, we had to put on our micro spikes due to snow/ice. At about the 5 mile mark, the snow level was knee deep, sometimes thigh deep (we didn’t think to bring our snowshoes based on previous condition reports). GPS was the only way to follow the trail. Slow going but we made it to Flapjacks lake in 5.5 hours (from start). We hammock camped by the lake, which was frozen and covered in snow. Our decent Sunday was much easier as we were able to follow our tracks and it only took 3.5 hours to get back to the parking lot. Overall, great weekend, and looking forward to seeing the trail this spring/summer again.

Great hike in the snow 12/22/19! We were the only ones on the trail yesterday. The snow started by the turn to go up to the lake at 3.5 miles but was only a couple inches until about a mile from the lake where it was about 6 inches then it went up to a foot deep the last half mile. The trail was easy to follow even with the snow and no foot prints from anyone else to follow (we had never been there before either). The lake was frozen and covered with snow but still a great destination with views of snowy peaks.

Hiked 10/26/19. This is a great, long hike. Love this forest; feels magical, hiking next to this amazing blue river. Lots of little things to see along the way; water runoffs, mushrooms, bridge, huge old trees covered in moss, small creatures, and the mountain tops peaking out. Feels super secluded. Keep in mind this hike is in a crevasse between hills and mountains. The sun doesn’t reach down in some areas, so plan accordingly for cooler temps and low light areas.

Outstanding trail and campground at the lakes. Trail gets steep after the Madeline Creek bridge. Trip is well worth the climb!

This was my first hike to Flapjack Lakes. October 13 , 2019, no snow and the trail conditions were great. The first four miles had beautiful fall colors. The climb really begins at the turn off for the lakes. Pretty steep and rugged in places with a brief view of Lightening Peak. Flapjack Lakes were beautiful and worth the miles.

The uphill was rough but the lake made it completely worth it!!! It was the most peaceful place I have ever been, literally the only sound I could hear was my breath!!! Ran back to the parking area. Have never had so much fun on a downhill than I did running this trail!!

My husband and I and friends have backpacked just below Flapjack Lakes (where you can camp next to the water and have a fire) for close to 10 years now. We went over Labor Day weekend this year, and it was the best experience yet -- although weather was a little colder than usual, as well as overcast with light sprinkles here and there. Bugs were practically non-existent, which is extremely rare for Flapjacks. Trail was in great condition as usual. Because we headed up the trail early on Friday (of Labor Day weekend), there were only 4 or 5 vehicles parked, and very very few people in the area while hiking. By the time we got down to Staircase, it was the most crowded I have ever seen it there in 10 years' time! Hike is always a challenge, and the lakes and the trail in my opinion are beautiful, and I go every year for those reasons ! I wouldn't listen to the reviews that say it's not worth the hike. (-:

awesome hike fishing great

This trail definitely has some great views along the way up and would’ve definitely enjoyed floating in the river. The hike up is extremely taxing (walking poles would be highly recommended). While all trails says it’s 13.9 miles out and back, one way it clocks in at 8 miles. You need to continue across the suspension bridge to the trail for flapjack which isn’t very clear at first. But overall a nice place to sit and enjoy lunch

You have to cross the bridge and continue it’s 8.1 miles from the parking lot to the lake

Day Hike. Gradual climb from stair case till you turn to flapjack lake. Climb gets steeper as you go. Day Hike there and back is no problem

As previous people had mentioned, there isn't much to see on the way up to the lakes. Not too scenic of an actual trail but once at the top, the lakes are great! We did some fishing while we were up there and caught 3 keepers in about an hour and a half. Spent the night then headed over to Black and White Lakes in the morning.

my pa n I went up da hill and saw some lakes there was nice and buggy.

The fallen trees mentioned earlier have been cleared out when I went up on July 2nd and there are no obstacles that requires climbing over that I could see. It starts out as a gentle trail, after you leave the river trail there's a few switchbacks but after Madeleine creek it starts getting really steep and gets worse until you hit the top. It's not a scenic trail and it's pretty boring until you get to the lakes, but they are really nice and there's a lot of good camping spots. Good place for an overnight trip.

It was fun but big fallen trees made it hard for a short person. Very challenging but lots of beautiful views.

Wed Apr 24 2019

Fun but very difficult. Quite a few trees across trail, too much snow this time of the year up top, but besides that a good hike.

Tue Mar 12 2019

Sun Mar 03 2019

I didn’t do the full loop, hiked up to the turn and back. Road was closed 1 mile from start so full distance in and out was just under 10 miles. Did it afternoon of March 3rd. Definitely still snowy, but packed down so no snowshoes needed. Micro spikes would’ve been helpful but you’ll be fine with waterproof boots with good grip if you have good balance. It’s beautiful, would like to do the full loop in the summer.

Wed Sep 19 2018

We hiked this trail the day after Mt Ellinor and greatly preferred the length and trail conditions. If you like long hikes with gentle grades, combined with doable ascents this is a highly recommended hike. The views at Flapjack Lakes did not disappoint, but it made us wonder if we should have left earlier and tried Gladys Pass. Total length is 15 miles, which we completed in a fairly casual 6.5 hours.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Nice hike with easy access to many beautiful & refreshing swimming holes close to the trailhead very convenient for summer hikes with little ones.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Absolutely beautiful! The trailhead is crowded - lots of trails start here. And the first half mile of the trail was a bit busy, but after that we were mostly alone. Yea, it gets steep, but really nothing crazy. Beautiful campground, with sites pretty spread out. A great swim with great views! One annoyance: there is some water flowing between the two lakes - but it was far from our campsite. So drinking water wasn’t as close as we’d like. Get out there! Enjoy!!

Wed Aug 22 2018

We made it in one day.It was quite difficult and I must say that the difficulty doesnt worth it. As one lady said It is good workout. The way is full of stones and the last past is quite steep. At the end of trail are 2 lakes (nothing special). Maybe if you plan to continue to the divide it would be nice because of view. But today was smoky because of fires. A hiker from Czech rep.

Fri Aug 10 2018

I did not make it all the way to the lake due to lots of smoke from the wildfire in Hamma Hamma not too far away, and very hot. I would classify this as a more difficult hike carrying an overnight backpack. Trail was in good condition, some pesky wasps circling my head for much of the hike. I look forward to trying it again when it cools down and the smoke clears out.

Sat Jun 23 2018

Great hike, beautiful lake, definitely coming back soon