Explorer Falls Trail

Explorer Falls Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snohomish, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Follow Monroe Camp rd all the way to the end. Park. Walk behind the gate that says closed to all motorized vehicles. Follow the trail. You'll come to a fork and you'll go to the right. (If you go left you'll have to climb over old railroad track and rail road ties. Wrong way) After going right a little ways down you'll see a blue sign in the tree that says Explorer Falls and to the left of it you'll see a big pile of trees. Follow the trail behind the pile of trees you'll go down a little more and turn left at the hill and fallen trees. You'll go down a big ravine and follow the road you'll go behind another gate that has shot gun holes in it. You'll start to hear a stream. When it gets really loud you'll look to the right and there will be a dirt trail to the bottom of the Falls. Follow the stream up a little ways and you'll be at the bottom of the waterfalls.

First, won’t call it a hike so much as a walk...

The trail is rated as Moderate, probably because of the tricky directions. The walk is not hard though. Until you get to the stream, the directions are good but the access road continues, so STOP and turn right into the trees at the stream!!

Then the path to the base of the waterfall is easy to miss (you essentially need to start hopping rocks along the side of the stream). There’s a cave at the base of the waterfall, so that was cool.

The path to the TOP of the waterfall, however, was easy to spot, starting across the stream; but be warned: it’s a quick but very short ~200’ elevation climb, and getting to the top of the waterfall involves climbing over logs on a steep downward slope.

Most of the trail is just a flat gravel access road, so probably won’t do it again, but it was worth the easy adventure with some friends.

Awesome hike! Took my 4 year old with. The trail up to the top of the waterfall is mildly difficult and quite steep, at the top you can sit by the falls but you don’t get a great view. At the bottom of the waterfall is absolutely beautiful. A small pool of water and a cool little hole in the side of the mountain. The trail is very well marked with painted orange arrows on the trees. A good hike just be prepared to carry your little ones all the way back to the car lol

The first part of the trail is an old gravel road then the trail turns into more like pine needles and dirt. I was the only one there in the tiny parking lot and trail. I was running and missed the trail to the right for the "falls." I couldn't see the falls once there due to the overgrowth of plants and trees. I ran 4 miles total out and back but could have kept going on the old closed logging roads. It was a pretty and quiet run but I probably won't do it again.

Went with 3 girls and a friend. Was a easy hike getting to the falls, but then decided we wanted to go up to the top of the waterfall and that was a elevated, workout hike.

Took my dog, ‘trail’ access from the access road has a huge burm with logs stacked, deep and steep ditch on the other side blocking the trail. Little water coming over the falls. Looked like someone living in the woods there with dogs off-leash. Once past the obstacles it is a very nice hike.

This was a great hike to start out the season with! Went with two teens and our dog. Perfect weather. Water flow at the falls was good.

Very nice hike, mostly gravel. I would also highly recommend bug spray.

Starts off on gravel. You can take a trail to the top of the falls as well.

Great little hike. Mostly on a gravel road. Then you get off the gravel and the falls are right there! We did notice a trail that goes up to the top of the falls for next time! Round trip with exploring was 4 miles.

Enjoyable walk in; really pretty.

The falls are pretty, the hike is fairly level/flat and follows gravel roads most of the way. Easy and not too long!

Went on Sunday 3/11/18.. beautiful weather! Went with friends, 4 younger kids, 2 toddlers and a tween. All enjoyed the hike to the falls and no one complained! A great starter hike!

Fun, easy trail that the dogs loved. Was worthwhile to cross the stream and follow the trail up to the top of the falls. Would highly recommend.

Not accessible. The river that needs to be crosses is moving way to fast. And the road out is not passable unless you have a truck.

Short, 2.4 miles out and back to a pretty waterfall.

it us a well marked trail with spray paint. it was a easy hike, on a nicer day I may even try to climb to the top of the tidge

Neat little adventure hike with spray paint marking the way. If you want to go up to the waterfall I'd suggest waterproof shoes that go up to at least the ankle to cross the creek, it's cooooold!

It was a lot of fun! Not too wet for November at all! The dogs had a blast

Short kid friendly hike! My 7 year old loved it. Beautiful falls.

I recommend if your vehicle can take it, to drive down the gravel road to the trail head and park on the side of the road. I also recommend lots of bug spray because the flys will follow you for miles. The hike was easy and worth it none the less. Beautiful for pictures and a good workout if you decide to make the climb up to the top of the falls.

A nice, sort, fairly easily hike. It was very quiet during the Thursday afternoon that I went. The falls are small, and the pools have interesting things to look at.

Great trail easy to follow lots of little orange marks or signs however there are ALOT of flies and they bite! So just be prepared for that and have fun! There's two ways to go, up to the top(which is difficult and steep) or walk up the river a bit and see an amazing little waterfall (what I recommend)

I took my 6yr old girl and 10yr old boy, who have hiked Heather Lake a few times and enjoyed it. Explore Falls is not kid friendly, my opinion - too steep of dusty hills in most parts; once you arrive on the trail, lots of slipping and falling. I am not a fan of rock road the first .75 mile, hence the logging comments below. Once you get to actual trail it's marked by orange utility spray paint. Bring bug spray and sun screen. I would not recommend a dog with all the broken jagged rocks everywhere. This hike goes down in my book as not a good one.

We had a blast! Nice and easy hike. There was a few logging trucks but there is plenty of room on the sides to get out of the way. the water fall was beautiful and very picture friendly! I suggest going on a weekend when no loggers are working but I do recommend this hike to anyone and everyone.

We tried hiking today, but there were numerous logging trucks on the road. One of the truckers stopped and told us there were "a lot of bears less than mile away". He showed us a picture he had supposedly taken from his truck less than 10 minutes ago. We didn't have bear spray, and we had our two kids... made the decision to turn back and not chance the bears!

I'm confused...nobody says anything about the logs and cement blocks that block the hike...the logging trucks are a bit of a distraction...was the hike the logging/gravel trail? Does one have to travel that before getting to the trail head? Looking for information ...

Saturday, July 15, 2017

huge hazard to the logging trucks head on with your walk. lots of deer fly and biting bugs. waterfall is great and lots of pics to take

Monday, July 10, 2017

fun trail its a easy hike if u want to take the kids on and short enough for them to do without getting burned out nice little cave also at the falls

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Took the kids. Had so much fun. A relatively easy hike with a cool waterfall and cave at the end to play in.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Verrryyy short. More like a nature walk than a hike. Not much water rn either. Very pretty but there was more drive time than hike so it wasn't completely worth it to me.