Excelsior Pass Trail

Excelsior Pass Trail is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

Directions from Glacier: Travel east on Mt. Baker Hwy. 542 for approximately 7 miles. The parking area is located on the right hand side of the highway. The trailhead is on the left just across from the parking area.

Up, up, up. The hike lives up to its name - Excelsior "ever upward". But so worth it at the top. 360 degree views including Mt. Baker.

This is our 4th hike up Excelsior Pass in the past eight weeks ... moving higher as snow disappeared. Yesterday we made it to the Peak. Beautiful and few bugs.

Good climbing trail, a cardio builder. Took us around two hours 15 minutes to high divide. As far as climbing trails go, not too shabby.

27 May. Some snow closer to the top which we weren't prepared for so we turned around early

Great trail to snowshoe, well marked and easy to follow until just before leaving the forest into the upper bowl. Really grateful for my heel lifts though. Great views at the top!

Beautiful beyond my expectations

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Friday, August 12, 2016

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Monday, June 20, 2016

kicked my butt but i did and going again

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Incline pretty much all the way up but what a great hike! At least two waterfalls to be seen along this hike.

Sunday, March 08, 2015

The best hike I've been on in a long time! The views are absolutely spectacular and definitely worth the climb. The hike in the woods is a pretty stead incline the whole way but definitely doable. One you get to the openness of the mountain, there is lots of snow and a great deal of an incline. The climb to the peak is worth it! We started at 9:30AM and stumbled across some snow in the woods but it wasn't too icy or slippery. We made it to the top of the peak around 1PM and stayed for about an hour eating lunch and enjoying the breathtaking view and made it to the bottom a little before 4:30PM.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

For a rare hiker, this is a more rigorous trail. It starts off with four miles of rather steep wooded switchbacks. There are no great views here, but the vast variety of foliage and fungi will keep one entertained. There's also a few visits to the creek which cascades down rocky surfaces. The meadows that follow offer quite a rewarding experience after the seemingly unending switchbacks. Beautiful flowers, nice hillsides, and pretty decent views from here. The views offered by this trail cannot be fully appreciated without scaling the initial peak of the Highline Divide. From there, you will get what I have been told as the best 360 degree view on that trail of all the valleys, peaks, and mountains (Shuksan, Baker) around. I'd say going up and down was rather torturous, but that is to be blamed upon my lack of physical fitness and my whiny hiking partner. In the end, the views really did pay off!