Learn more

Evergreen Lookout Trail [CLOSED] is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,328 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Climb a mountainside bursting with fall color to a fire lookout and commanding views of Central Cascades peaks. Hike to a forest lookout with commanding views of Central Cascades peaks.

Such a good short hike to beautiful wildflower fields, as well as snow fields! No one was up there but us, and it was amazing! The trail at the end is covered in chest deep snow, so we had to walk around in some places but we were careful. Very beautiful views of the peaks, and valleys below. If you don’t mind walking around in some snow go for it, but be extremely careful!

Wanted to see if the road to the trailhead was open this weekend. The Beckler River road was very rutted and there were numerous trees blocking at least one lane of the road. We got stopped approximately 1.5 miles from the top by about 2 foot snow drifts. We did get some good coffee outside of Skykomish and then an amazing burger at Zeke's.

Completed July 2019. Great views at the top and doable with a dog. Well maintained and easy to find. Would hike again!

Went 10/22/19 and we were the only ones on the trail. The lookout is boarded up now but still a good hike for views once the clouds open up. Be prepared for snow up to the knees once you get above tree line (wish we had brought gaiters and snowshoes haha). Trail was otherwise a tough uphill climb most of the way, slick with mud and snow headed up, so be careful and crampons are a must!

I believe this is off-leash, not on leash. wonderful trail. plan 2 hours walking. crazy drive up, have 4x4, prepare for mountain narrow passed, one car wide for an hour.

Excellent views all the way to the lookout. Moderately steep for the first .75 miles but gets easier after that. 360 degree views at the top

Short hike but the incline in the beginning can be tough for lots of people. Views along the way and at the lookout was amazing! We made it to the trailhead in a Corolla but there are some potholes along the way. The road getting to the trailhead is also really long. It took over an hour.

Steep but worth the views!!

The trailhead can be a little challenging to find and it takes about an hour to get there from HWY 2. The left turn onto Beckler Rd heading East will take you onto a paved road for a good while. They are doing some work on a culvert so they have the road down to one lane a few miles in. You'll pass what appears to be a trailhead marker with a FR sign 6550 but if you travel down this single lane road you will soon be blocked by a rock slide and will have to back out back onto the main road. Continue straight ahead over the narrow, one-lane bridge. You'll soon find yourself on a gravel road and eventually you'll come across a giant pile of gravel. Take an immediate right towards Evergreen Lookout. This road will take you to the trailhead but it is full of potholes and the area seems susceptible to rock slides and wash outs, (I saw evidence of a few). It's a one lane road with a sheer drop off on one side so proceed with caution, ad take the turn with care. Eventually, you will come across a left turn (uphill) and a closed gate straight ahead. The only obvious route is left so go that way. I traveled up this road with a 4x4 high clearance truck and I did just fine. I did pass a few sedans heading back down but at the trailhead were lots and lots of trucks and 4x4s. There is plenty of parking at the trailhead for a lot of vehicles so even if you come late, you'll still get a spot. The trail starts up very steep and never really flattens out until you reach the old growth forest. You'll hit some switchbacks that are short and steep but allow some beautiful views as you wander your way to the top. Once you get into the forest the trail widens a little more and evens out but just for a bit. Then its back up, up, up. Once out of the forest, if you look up to your right, you'll see the lookout. Press on, and follow the trail around to the north side of the mountain. From there it's an easy 500 feet to the lookout. When I arrived, there were about six people meandering around. Eventually they all left and I had the whole summit block to myself for about 20 minutes before another hiker showed up. I actually got cell signal so a quick FaceTime to the wife back home to show her the fantastic views even on an overcast day like today. In the distance I could see dark rain clouds swarming so I decided to cut my summit time short to get back down safely. After gulping down some water and eating a few Luna bars, I snapped more photos, gathering my pack and started my descent. I pretty much barreled down the mountain. I was back at my vehicle in about 20 minutes. Now it was time for the arduous trek back to highway 2. Just as I pulled out onto highway 2, the rain started and didn't really let up until I got into Baring. I'm glad I wasn't up on the summit during that. It was a great but short hike. The most challenging part was having patience on the long, windy road to the trailhead. There is also an old wooden bridge that has seen better days so proceed with caution over that, too.

8-14-19 Don’t plan to do this hike if you are short on time, thinking it will be a moderate short, 3mile hike. It takes a long long time to get there. I take it slow, driving forest roads, it took me 1 hr and 15 mins from Skykomish. The hike it’s short but steep, and dry, So bring plenty of water. since the beginning you get beautiful views, at mile .4 you can see the lookout far up the mountain. 4 people were working on the lookout so I didn’t go in. If you have time keep going after the lookout. Trail gets a little overgrown but still passable. Any type of car can make it, just be careful and you’d be fine. Beautiful hike, saw very few people, just be awake you are gonna spend over 2 thirds of your time just driving.

This was a wonderful and challenging hike! Especially since I hauled my youngest up the whole way on my back. This hike is rated as moderate/intermediate, but on a fitness level, it's very advanced. There are very few spots where the path levels out for a break. Note, the drive from highway 2 to the trailhead can take about an hour. We were being totally random and sporadic in the midst of our camping trip, so didn't really plan on that long of a drive. My older son (4 years) and wife only went up part of the way, seeing as we had such a late start. And there are lookout spots along the way if you don't want to do the whole thing. But I, for one, plan to do this again when I can enjoy the scenery and 360° view at the top for a longer time.

Sat Jun 01 2019

plenty of snow pack near peak, carefull walking on it, it's slick. Hike is definitely worth it!!!

Thu May 30 2019

The things you do on your day off. As early season trains go, this one wasn’t too bad. Trekking poles and micro spikes made this “easy”. A friend (old 2’s guy) and our kids got an early start for this one. In Gold Bar and on the trail, the weather was almost great. A cool 56 degrees, cloudy and little wind. The dodge got us to the trail head w/o any problems. Some snow on the trail. We started early enough that things weren’t too bad. On the way up we were in the fog. Lunch at the top was 1/2 a can of cold hard cider, hot coffee, gluten-free fennel pollen salami, Reese’s sticks, and some dog food. And then it started to clear up. WOW, what a view. On the way down we would take ten steps, stop, turn around, and take pictures. Repeat.......

Sat Oct 27 2018

WAY steeper than I anticipated, little longer too. Wow oh wow on the view though! The lookout itself was shut up so couldn’t inside it, however it was a gorgeous day so it was really unneeded. Like I said, for the duration of the hike it is very steep, you’ve been warned. A lot of hikes towards the end get that steep but not for the whole darn thing ... lol ... enjoy

Fri Aug 17 2018

I hiked it July 1st. i did it, but i am a climber. There will be to much snow (dangerous) until about mid July unless you have an ice axe and know how to use it. Nice hike with nice views. The trail, before I hit the snow, was in good shape.3 miles is a really short trail.

Wed Aug 15 2018

Road was closed 1 mile past the turn off onto FS 6550. Up until that point the road was in really good shape.

ohv/off road driving
Mon Jun 11 2018

I got all the way up to the trailhead with no real issue ... the parking lot ... or what I would assume is the parking lot is still a snow pack ... I DID NOT do the trail itself ... so no idea what the conditions where above parking. I did not even know it was there and was not prepared to actually hike. Drive was awesome though! A couple real cool places to turn your vehicle vertical if your brave enough. My guess is that is is freaking awesome to hike it though based on the scenery from the road alone ... now that I know it is there ... I will be back for sure a little later in the year.

scenic driving
Tue May 08 2018

Tried to get to the trail head, still covered in snow. Multiple cars were stuck including trucks. Was excited but going to wait a few more weeks.

Tue Sep 19 2017

steep but rewarding..

Fri Sep 15 2017

Absolutely beautiful

Sat Jun 17 2017

Road to the trail is a narrow, winding 9 mile road. There is an overhanging tree about 6 miles up coming across the road. It is passable but takes a little maneuvering to squeeze through. The trail itself is in pretty good shape and the views are incredible.

Tue Jul 05 2016

The narrow road up has been cleared. Short hike but offers great views of surrounding peaks and green slopes