Enchanted Valley via East Fork Quinault River Trail

Enchanted Valley via East Fork Quinault River Trail is a 30.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

From Forks, south on U.S. 101 to South Shore Road. Turn left and drive 18.5 miles to Graves Creek Ranger Station and the trailhead.

l

zx

I took 2 new backpackers with me. We hiked just past no name creek, roughly 10 miles in and it took about 6 or 7 hours. It was a little much for them. We wanted to get to enchanted valley in days time but that didn't work out. The trails were clear and I saw no bears, however we did get a lot of reports from hikers coming down of seeing many bears up in the valley. Gorgeous hike non the less.

really great hike. ..and yes you will see bears!

We started off at the Graves Creek Trailhead. The trailhead itself is closed to traffic. Due to a washout. We parked two miles down the road to plan that into your trip.

First night we got to Pyrites. Note: downed trees and a lot of scrambling between Camp Oneill and Pyrites. Drains your energy especially w a loaded pack. Noname Creek is a perfect place to load up on water before camping at Pyrites. Water access can be tricky there. Woke up to a herd of elk and their babies playing around the brush and downed trees. It was a beautiful way to start the day.

Second day we headed to Enchanted Valley from Pyrites where we encountered some rain, so took cover under the chalet shelter built for hikers. Rain subsided and off we went to Anderson Pass, spotting several herds of more elk and 3 bears. Anderson Pass is an ass kicker. That was a 9 hour day traveling 8.5 miles. 3700 elevation gain in what felt like the last 3 miles. Glad it was overcast skies and not scorching hot. Stayed on the pass and suffered thru and very rainy night. Only water source is a pond. Keep that in mind.

3rd day we woke to blue skies so decided to day hike to Anderson Glacier. Amazing!!! Should not miss, esp on a clear day. Breathtaking. Loaded up w our packs we headed to Enchanted Valley for the night where we camped along side the chalet. Water is tricky to get to, but once you do, it's an awesome way to end a day of all down hill hiking from the pass.

4th day headed to Pony Bridge. About a 10 mile day. Scrambling over the washout of trees was easier going back. Lighter load and stronger legs!! Spent the night at Pony Bridge right on the cliff of the Quinalt River. Water is again tricky to get, but can be done w a lot of climbing in/out of the canyon.

Woke up on the 5th day to a beautiful day. 4 mile hike to the truck. Including the extra 2 miles. Had a beer and toasted to a very memorable trip! Headed to Quinalt Lodge for the night. Shower!!!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Great time can't wait to go again
There is a lot for logs to go over , under or around it was a very slow trip with all log crossings

Thursday, May 19, 2016

awesome hike everyone should do once in a lifetime!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Monday, June 22, 2015

Awesome!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A-MAZING hike!
We did this hike in August. Camped at graves creek campground and hit the trail by 7:30 am. Many places along the river to stop for a break, water refill, snack or just to relax with feet in the clear cool water. We took our time and made it to Enchanted Valley by 5:30. I would say the hike is moderate for a somewhat ouy if shape person like me. There are many places to camp along the way that are not on the map. At Enchanted Valley you can pitch your tent almost anywhere; by the river, in the wide open field or in the trees. Be sure to use the bear wire to hang your food. The trail it's self was very nice. Wide variety of Washington scenery, trail well maintained with flat walks and some climbs. A little mud here and there, bridges, rocks, streams and fallen trees. The dirt road to the trail head is super long so be sure you have gas, parking is free, get your permits at the ranger station by the lodge. Plan to do this hike with lots of time to take it all in and enjoy, worth going back again and again!!

Saturday, June 28, 2014

This is a sweet hike. Elevation is easily manageable considering the 13 mile trek from East Fork. My girlfriend and I camped near the trailhead and started off in the morning. I would suggest, if you are not on the peninsula already, drive there, camp, and then get a fresh start. For a 13 mile hike why not get a headstart and not worry about the drive. This will get you ahead of everyone else at the campsites and you get your first pick. As the afternoon wore on, there were plenty of hikers coming in and getting desperate to find their own spot.

This is very doable as an out-and-back trek. We hiked in 6 hours to chalet with lunch and a couple rests. The hike out was completed in 5 hours. We don't have hundreds of trail miles in our boots a year, so we're not super trekkers or anything, just in relative fine shape and didn't pack the kitchen sink.

Spotted on the trail, one owl, chipmunks, a few snakes, elk, didn't see any bears, but there was a couple who saw one, all sorts of birds.

I would like to do the hike again particularly from the other side.

Friday, June 27, 2014

I cannot express how much I love this hike. I might be biased as it was my first backpacking trip but man, it is worth every ounce on energy. The Chalet was beautiful. We went the first weekend of June and the weather was perfect. So many waters coming off of each other into the start of the Quinault River. Our camp was right next to the river which was such a wonderful sight to wake up to. Good incline the whole way, not too harsh. We saw deer, a mama bear and some chipmunks. I can't wait to go up the the Glacier next time around.

Monday, May 05, 2014

Did this hike last labor day. Awesome hike 13 miles of steady incline to the chalet. Beautiful views of the valley and Anderson glacier. Ready to do it again. Lots of good camping in enchanted valley.