Enchanted Valley Chalet via East Fork Quinault River Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(194)
Olympic National Park

Enchanted Valley Chalet via East Fork Quinault River Trail is a 30.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Quinault, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 30.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,642 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Note: The Enchanted Valley Chalet is currently closed to visitors due to unsafe conditions. Graves Creek Rd is currently closed due to construction so this trailhead is currently not accessible as of Sept 3, 2019. Construction is expected to last 4 weeks. For more information, please see https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/east-fork-quinault-river-trail.htm

Backpacked 10/22-10/24. It had just rained on Monday, 10/21, so parts of the trail was overflowing with water. We tried to stay on the trail but at mile 4.4 and 8, we had to scramble and bushwhack onto some dry ground. By the time we hiked back on 10/24, there was no flooding. It was a beautiful hike! Saw lots of elk and mountain goats in the distance. Saw a cougar footprint too?? At the Enchanted Valley, a lot of the leaves had already fallen so we were looking at some pretty naked trees. Didn’t end up going to Anderson Pass to see the glacier, but heard the glacier was pretty much melted.

Left from Dosewallops up Anderson pass down through Enchanted Valley out to Quinault. Trails were excellent, went up to the glacier, total miles 36, time it took 19 hours.

Beautiful! This was my first backpacking trip and hike in the PNW!! I loved it. There are many bridges with only one side rail if that scares you. Other than that, we went out on a Tuesday and came back on a Friday. Camped at a spot before O’neil the first and last night and the Enchanted Valley in the middle. Great water access to the Quinault rainforest the entire time. We saw a herd of Elk and enjoyed our time. It wasn’t too crowded either.

Spent two nights around the chalet. The hike in was long and wooded before the valley opens up. There were a couple of stream crossings but nothing unmanageable. The valley is tall and beautiful with many run offs. Will definitely do this hike again!

Beautiful destination! Quality campsites. Bear cans required. Well maintained trails. The trek offers a variety of views and grades to navigate. We found an awesome swimming hole in the chilly but super refreshing Quinault (late July). Watched a herd of 40-50 Roosevelt Elk cross the river one evening while enjoying our trail chow (chicken, rice, black beans and peppers!).

Great hike, stopped at O'Neil for camp from the trail head.

Absolutely stunning!

Memorial Day Weekend at Enchanted Valley was unforgettable. This is the most lush place I’ve backpacked in WA. Beautiful terrain, historic landmarks, fantastic fauna, colorful flora, & diverse fungi. It’s a rainforest, so come prepared. 3 days was nice, but I’ll be back for longer trips. Trail conditions were above par, and bear canisters are required. Big thanks to the rangers for being extra prepared during the busy weekend. Wish that chalet was still in use.

It’s not called enchanted valley for nothin!!

Tue Jun 04 2019

Wow, wow, wow, WOW. TO DIE FOR, stopped off at the ranger station and got a canister (free of charge) We started at 2 on a Friday and hiked the 9ish miles to Pyrites, we made it around 8 ish, after LOTS of breaks because we had very heavy packs.We set up camp for the night and got up early the next morning, left our heavy stuff and hiked the 3.3 ish miles to the valley. BREATHTAKING. I was itching to see a bear and saw none on the way in, talked to a ranger who saw some between Pyrites and the valley. I lucked out.. we walked into the valley and to the right was a bear head staring my way. We were able to get the camera out and get some footage. We hung out by the Chalet for a few hours then headed back to get our stuff. We packed up and decided to go past O'Neil (6 ish miles in) and found a perfect camping spot with about 5.5 miles left of the trail down near the water and very secluded. On our way back, 2 women were alarmed by a bear (I didn't get to see). Sunday morning we hiked the 5.5 miles back in a little over 2.5 hours and were on our way out. Absolutely incredible. There are camping spots as close in as Pony Creek and spots along the way.

Sat Jun 01 2019

I went right AFTER Memorial Day solo. I have no (and i mean NO) thru hiking experience and am definitely out of shape. But i spent about 6 months researching what i needed to do to be prepared. I wanted to do this trek to take some high resolution photos —- my passion. Carrying a medium format camera, tripod and bear cannister, etc., I managed to go slow and still complete the trail in 4 days, 3 nights. But, going back down from Pyrites to the trailhead only took me one day. It was a schlep for me going up the incline on the way in. Going down was a piece of cake in comparison. I’m sure my mild asthma doesn’t help. I was lucky with weather: Sunny every day and only about 10 minutes of drizzle as I headed into the valley on Tuesday afternoon. There was a ranger stationed in the valley at the chalet for the Memorial Day weekend, so that made me feel quite safe when I arrived. There were campers throughout, but I’d hardly call it busy or crowded. However, when I returned to Pyrites, I was the ONLY person camping there Wednesday night which made me feel a little Blair Witch Project-esq. And folks had spotted bears at this camp site over the holiday, so I had those rumors stuck in my head and couldn’t sleep. Couple that with smelling smoke at 2:30 am and having to get out of the tent and investigate it only to find some idiot campers from the night prior didn’t properly extinguish their camp fire ——- scary. And I was still scared of the damn bear rumors. And then, the next day, as I was walking alone past ONeils to Pony Bridge, I was completely alone and ran across a cub and her very big Mama Bear right on the trail. And I wasn’t carrying bear spray. Needless to say, when I tried to make myself look big, and clicked my trekking poles to make noise ——- the mom really didn’t care and was sizing me up for a good 3 minutes, I was terrified. And felt really stupid. I did have a whistle that I tried blowing to make noise, but I felt like it was more of a dinner bell for the mama bear. It was like a bird chirping or annoying her precious cub. So I stopped and kept with the trekking poles —— alternating between waving them big and between banging them together. When that didn’t work, I tried to slowly walk backwards the opposite direction where I came from, up a slight incline, and I think that’s what made her relax enough to run into the bushes after her cub. It took me a good 10 minutes to work up the courage to pass the area where they were standing on the path before disappearing into the brush. When I got to Pony Bridge, no one was camping there Thursday eve —- again. So, because I didn’t want to repeat my prior nights fears, and because of my actual bear scare, I ended up suffering through blisters to get back to the trailhead and find a nice hotel for the eve. The trail itself was beautiful. If I had a hiking buddy and wasn’t doing this both solo and for the first time, and if i was carrying bear spray, I think I would have loved it. I could have also dropped the weight of the camera and tripod and that would have made me enjoy this more because then I wouldn’t feel like I was working so hard. If you have any experience hiking and camping, you will love this trail. If you wanna cut weight and keep up speed, drop the bear canister and use a bear bag and camp instead at Pyrites where there is bear wire. Then you can day hike up to the valley and back and not have to re-pitch a tent. I could have done a lot of things better. But for a first experience, and despite my own fears, it was still a good hike. Character building. And from now on, I’m never skipping the bear spray to save weight.

Tue May 28 2019

This is the best hike I have ever done!

Tue May 28 2019

One of the best backpacking trips i ever had ,got 2 see one bear but it was kind of stump ,they usually mind there own business. Also the views are worth hiking 30 miles. If possible I would definitely come back again with more friends.

Mon May 27 2019

Went today, Memorial Day weekend. Did this over days and I was very tired. Felt like at least 2 nights and 3 days were required. The green forest and the blue river all along the hike make this the most scenic forest hikes I have ever seen, unlike any other. Heavily trafficked trail but there are lots of places to camp, especially when you reach the valley. It was cold in the valley and in general was a wet and muddy trail with frequent drizzle or rain.

Sat May 25 2019

Wonderful. We hiked in at about 2 pm and stayed at the campground Pyrites (9 mile mark) Left our stuff there the next morning to sprint 3 more miles down to the Valley. Was breathtaking. Sprinted back by 9 am, grabbed our stuff and headed back out. Would definitely make it a 3 or 4 day trip next time because our fast pace wore us out! Very well rewarding. If not the most rewarding hike I have ever done. Be prepared for rain and bears. We did see a mama and her cub. Was sunny the first day and rainy the next. - Brenna

Sat May 25 2019

Did this hike over memorial day weekend. We camped at Graves creek campground the night before starting the hike. There are 30 ish walk up campsites and they get filled very fast. This is a beautiful well maintained trail with amazing views of waterfalls and streams all along. The mountain views at the valley make this super long hike totally worth it. There are many campgrounds through the trail and at the valley. Completing this hike over 2 days and one night made it strenuous. I would probably give it 2 nights and 3 days!

Mon May 13 2019

Yup, a great trail and the valley is stunning. Did encounter some bears but they were thoroughly bored by humans. A bear cannister is required for camping in the valley. The bears there don't associate people with available food, which is how we want it to stay!