Elk Lake Trail

Elk Lake Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 485 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Hoodsport: Travel US Highway 101 10 miles north to Jorsted Creek Rd (FS Road 24). Follow 24 for 1.25 miles to FS 2480. Continue on FS Rd 2480 for 5.5 miles to the spur road and trailhead.

Gate closed where you would turn off HammaHamma rd. Parked there and walked up the road to the trail. Trail started out okay, but quickly became an obstacle course of trees that had fallen across it. The area had burned and trees were all over so we only made it about a mile in. Will try again in a month or so.

Sat Nov 24 2018

FR 2480 was closed with gate and sign 4.5 miles in. Make sure you call ahead to see if open. Just putting 3 star to be able to leave a comment.

Sat Jul 28 2018

An amazing easy hike . I will be back

Sun May 13 2018

Lower half of trail is easy, family and dog friendly. Upper half of trail is steep, narrow, and huge drop off on one side. Made me very nervous with my dog, and would not recommend for nervous mothers of small children. Awesome views and a great work out though!!

Fri Jan 12 2018

This hike featured many waterfalls (several of which we had to walk though to continue on the trail). I would not take my kids on this again. One side of the trail is a straight drop down and it made me nervous having my 6 and 2 year old.

Thu Aug 10 2017

Great spot for an overnight on the way to climb Mount Olympus! Lots of bugs and the water source is a decent walk!

Sat Oct 22 2016

This trail has several TH. I entered from FS 2421. Some trees across the trail, but all passable.

Tue Jul 05 2016

Parked at the trailhead off FR2401. It is down a very short, but very steep spur from the main road. Our party checked out Jefferson Creek and although it was dry, the rocks looked too treacherous to cross. Continued back up the main 805 trail. It is a little overgrown in parts and there are a couple of small trees down. The creek bed about a half mile down was completely dry and we were able to continue on to Upper Elk Lake along the trail. Huge cedars lined this part of the trail. After crossing over the road, it was a quick hike up the steepest part of the trail to Upper Elk Lake. Saw lots of trees in the process of being taken down by beavers. Roundtrip was less than 2 miles.

Sun Jan 06 2019