Elk Lake Trail

Elk Lake Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Hoodsport: Travel US Highway 101 10 miles north to Jorsted Creek Rd (FS Road 24). Follow 24 for 1.25 miles to FS 2480. Continue on FS Rd 2480 for 5.5 miles to the spur road and trailhead.

Lower half of trail is easy, family and dog friendly. Upper half of trail is steep, narrow, and huge drop off on one side. Made me very nervous with my dog, and would not recommend for nervous mothers of small children. Awesome views and a great work out though!!

This hike featured many waterfalls (several of which we had to walk though to continue on the trail). I would not take my kids on this again. One side of the trail is a straight drop down and it made me nervous having my 6 and 2 year old.

Great spot for an overnight on the way to climb Mount Olympus! Lots of bugs and the water source is a decent walk!

Saturday, October 22, 2016

This trail has several TH. I entered from FS 2421. Some trees across the trail, but all passable.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Parked at the trailhead off FR2401. It is down a very short, but very steep spur from the main road. Our party checked out Jefferson Creek and although it was dry, the rocks looked too treacherous to cross. Continued back up the main 805 trail. It is a little overgrown in parts and there are a couple of small trees down.

The creek bed about a half mile down was completely dry and we were able to continue on to Upper Elk Lake along the trail. Huge cedars lined this part of the trail. After crossing over the road, it was a quick hike up the steepest part of the trail to Upper Elk Lake. Saw lots of trees in the process of being taken down by beavers.

Roundtrip was less than 2 miles.

Sunday, March 13, 2016