Eightmile Lake Trail

Eightmile Lake Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Directions from Leavenworth: Follow direction to Bridge Creek Campground. At Bridge Creek turn south onto Forest Service Road 7601 and follow for approximately 2.5 miles to the Eightmile trailhead.

Beautiful moderate hike. Much different than Colchuck and Stuart but just as enjoyable and scenic.

Great hike with huge glacier views in the beginning and nice all the way. No bugs:)

The hike starts out decently inclined but flattens out for the rest of the walk. Very easy and not many bugs. I personally enjoyed the scenery on the way to the lake a little more than the actual lake but there is a rock to jump off of and plenty of nice swimming once you're there :)

Got to the trailhead at about noon on Saturday and still was able to park my huge truck in the last remaining parking spot. I was shocked, I figured I'd be parking on the road. Was surprised at how few people we had to share the lake with. Smoke from Canadian wildfire clouded the landscape still, and also blunted the heat of the day. Even so, the water was really pleasant and we swam and floated for hours on the lake. It was really perfect. Easy hike in for anyone in fair hiking shape, just over 3 miles. Any car can make the drive including the Mercedes coupe convertible parked at the trailhead, last 3 miles is uphill dirt road, a little washboard action in places but few potholes.

-GETTING THERE-
Directions are somewhat misleading, but if you can make your way to the entrance of Leavenworth Village, it's the road immediately to the right (Icicle Road.) It's a 32 minute drive from there to the trailhead, but be prepared to use caution.
The road towards this trailhead is filled with loose gravel and dirt, I would recommend bringing an AWD or at least a car that you don't mind getting some dust on. Its also important to note that the road does get narrow, be aware of incoming cars!

-PASSES-
This trail requires the federal and/or forest pass, a green pass that can be found by the post, and a white envelope type pass to be kept on your dashboard. Parking is a bit tight and on dirt surrounded by trees. Get early (around 6-7am) for a good spot under the trees, especially since the weather will be mildly warm.

-THE ACTUAL HIKE-
I brought my boyfriend and best friend to get a glimpse of this beautiful lake early in the morning. We started at 7:30 and reached the lake by 9:30, a 2 hour trek. The beginning is a HUGE HILL INCLINE, use trekking poles if you wish. None of us used any, but brought a pair just in case. The trail is easy to follow, so you won't be able to get lost.

By the time we finished swimming it was 10:30 and decided to relax up until 11. The trek down took us an hour and a half, with two breaks. We aren't very athletic, but I'd say we did a pretty decent job getting up and down. We reached the trailhead just minutes before 12:15.

- THE VERDICT -
Much easier than Lake Serene, better than Lake 22. It's only my opinion, but Eightmile did give us a great view of what Washington has to offer.

This trail was beautiful the whole way. Lots of scenery changes and little places on the creek to dip your feet into. There were no bugs on this trail either. The big Eight Mile lake was so pretty. Places to swim and a toilet. Loved this hike!!!!!!!!

The first mile is the hardest, but well worth it. There are probably 7-8 really large muddy areas on the trail, so be prepared!

The setting of this hike offers multiple attractions. The trail is very well maintained and there are plenty of spots at the lake to hang out.

I really enjoyed this hike because a lot of the scenery is a bit different than many other hikes I have been on. A lot of beautiful flowers were in bloom which was really cool to walk through. There were also times when you would be walking through a huge open field and it was a nice change of pace to the trails with covered trees and lots of plants. The lake is beautiful and I found a massive log in the water that I could access to sit on. We camped up there and it was so peaceful!

Execellent hike! Start early on the weekends so that you can enjoy the gorgeous lake alone and not be in the scorching sun. I hit the trail at 6:30am and was back to my truck by 10:40. Good workout and all uphill; would not suggest if you're not in decent shape. Don't forget bug spray!