Echo Lake via Greenwater Trail

Echo Lake via Greenwater Trail is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Enumclaw, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

We took a Boy Scout crew of five boys and four adults. Started out Saturday evening and hiked into Greenwater lakes and found a small campsite there. There is a toilet after you cross the river near the Greenwater Lakes camping area. Woke up Sunday morning hiked 5 miles up to Echo lake and set up camp near the the lake right after the horse camp. There is a toilet near there also. You could see several decent sized trout swimming near the shore. Other folks said fishing was really good. Sunday morning we hiked out the 7 miles to the trailhead. Trail is in really good shape with only a couple blow downs, but manageable. The first bridge you come to is a little bit off kilter but is still safe to cross. The place you cross the river near the Greenwater Lkes campground is out but people have made a fairly safe temporary structure to walk over with a rope attached to two trees. Not much elevation gain from the trailhead to Greenwater Lakes. You don't really have much elevation change until you start getting about 2 miles away from Echo Lake.

What a great hike! There are a few damaged bridges, but we saw a park ranger there who was assessing the damage so hopefully this means they will get fixed soon! Other than that, beautiful scenery, trail is along the river, a little bit of snow at the end but when you get to the campsites at Echo lake there is no snow. Definitely recommend for a one to two day trip! Will do this one again!

Just hiked this this weekend. Packed to echo lake and hung out for an afternoon. Trail was great! There was one bridge that leaned some but was still cross able and one bridge that was out but there were several new routes across the river. Was a great hike with an amazing view at the end

Beautiful trail with fantastic smells of the Forrest and the sounds of rushing water. The first bridge is in pretty bad shape so be careful!

Monday, January 11, 2016

Good bit of work on snowshoes, not a lot of signs along the trail which made it difficult to stick to the trail in 3ft of snow. Made it to the first lake in 3.5 hrs. The high bridge was a little sketchy with the railing missing in one section but still manageable. I'll do this one again in the summer!

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Thought I'd take an easy hike in the rain yesterday but recent rain brought down a rock slide blocking the road! I tried clearing it but some rocks were just too big.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

While most people probably have the good sense to hike in and camp, my group made a roundtrip day hike out of this one in about 7 hours. The payoff is AMAZING...such a beautiful lake!

WARNINGS: Some narrow spots on the trail when you reach the fork at Echo Lake/Lost Lake. Nothing scary, you just have to walk single file. About 2 miles before the lake, we passed a very muddy hole but it looked like workers were building a bridge over it. We also had to defend our lunch against a lot of bees and other bugs once we reached the lake to eat.

Monday, August 10, 2015

We enjoyed the ride the trail is made for hiking but the horses did well.
Well maintained trail.
Trail is steep in places. Best for experienced trail riders.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

This is a great hike. LOVED everything except the last leg to Echo Lake, it is a good climb that had us (so-so shape & packed for an overnight) hoping the lake was around every corner and slightly rejoicing when the last half mile was down hill. It took us 4 hours each way.

Monday, August 03, 2015

Second time on this trail, and it's just as beautiful as the first time. Way more people on it this time trying to get down to, or come up from the water, since summer has been awfully warm.

Let the dogs play in the water at the few places you can easily access the river. Lots of campers on the lake, so we didn't get to go enjoy the shady side of the lake.

Friday, July 03, 2015

Monday, May 04, 2015

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The hike to Echo was a good one. It had some good elevation gain that was giving me a good run with my pack on through the snow. After balancing over falling trees where the washed out bridge was just after Greenwater Lakes, I hiked a few miles and decided to go to Echo instead of Lost Lake so i turned left and continued the ascent. Pretty views of water and forest are abundant. I hit a lot of snow in the shaded spots and it made for a hell of a time walking. It was definitely a nice lake when i arrived. I don't fish but i hear it's a great fishing spot from my buddies. Maybe ill bring a pole next time i'm up and give it a try again.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

This trail can be a little bit of a mixed bag. In the first few miles you end up sharing the trail with what I will call beer campers. The Greenwater lakes are beautiful, however because of the beer campers the camping experience can be challenging at best. In addition, the campsites at Greenwater lakes are small and spread out. This means that larger groups would not be able to camp with each other since the campsites will allow two tents at most. I have heard of a few sites at the lakes that larger groups could get into, but I could not find them when I was there. Now, if you pass Greenwater lakes and head into the wilderness you'll quickly find a group site (on the left) that could easily take 10 tents. It is also right next to the river and is gorgeous. To give you an idea of what I think of this place, I use the Greenwater lakes for very young cub scout groups... not for me or my family.

Here is where my review changes dramatically. As you head past Greenwater lakes and make your way either to Lost Lake (to the right), or to Echo Lake (to the left) the wilderness and views are amazing. Both of these areas and trails are easily five star experiences. The fishing at Echo Lake is outstanding.

Monday, May 19, 2014

I used the Alltrails app to find the head of the trail. It sent us down NFD-7140, which is closed. Since it didn't give us an alternate route on the app, we decided to walk along NFD-7140. Bad idea! It is in right above logged areas that are used as shooting practice ranges! Gun shots echoing everywhere and shell casings and beer cans were littering the road. A very disappointing day.