Eagle Peak Trail

Eagle Peak Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Longmire, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,054 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Longmire Plaza: Drive past the building with the flagpole, through the employee housing area and across a suspension bridge. Continue .1 miles and park in front of the Community Building. Walk a short distance back the road toward the bridge. The trailhead is on the right about 50 feet before reaching the bridge. As an alternative, park near the Longmire Museum or National Park Inn and walk to the trailhead. It is located 50 feet beyond the bridge on the left.

icy

icy

Hiked on 11-29 starting at about 9AM. One set of tracks in about 6-8 inches of snow pretty much from the get go. We were very grateful for the tracks of the first group as the snow got deeper and the grade got steeper. Turned into a really slog starting at mile 2 with the snow depth increasing to around 1’. Last mile was a brute with near 2’ of snow in parts and quite slippery. Blue bird day though and it paid in crystal clear views of Mt Adams and Saint Helens. The descent was fine and last two miles on the way down were a breeze due to many other hikers packing down the snow. Surely less challenging in the summer season, but we enjoyed the workout and the clear day. This time of year I’d say polls and boot chains or micro spikes required for the upper elevations of this hike to be safe and not be miserable.

Good

Very challenging 3/4 mile to the top, but worth every step for the view.

This is tough but I enjoyed it. Got a little sketch cause of the wind. I did it in June.

Did Eagle and Chutla peaks yesterday. Trail to the saddle is in good condition and pretty mellow for the first 2.5 miles then gets quite steep for the final 3/4-1 mile. Good views at the saddle. Eagle Peak is a class four climb. Parts are exposed and the fall zone is ugly so we roped up and belayed the route to the top. Summit is spectacular. Views of the Tatoosh peaks, Nisqually valley, Paradise, Rainier, Adams, St Helens and Hood. Descent to the saddle was challenging. Trail to Chutla looked good from Eagle Peak, but the good part is hard to get to. Had to work through trees, climb along ledges and scramble on ridges, then a nice trail to the top and more great views. Missed the trail we ascended as we headed back, ended up on the other side of the ridge. Bit exciting but the fall line included trees about twenty feet below so not as bad. Reached the saddle and headed out. Great experience even for a scaredy cat like me.

Fabulous experience on a perfect day. Skies were crystal clear in every direction.

Great Hike with a awesome view at the top. One can do some more perilous climbing at the top if one was into that.

Switchbacks up the whole way, gets pretty steep at the top. The majority of the hike is dense forest until you break through to a meadow close to the top. Hiked on 6/11 and there was still a snow field that you had to cross to get to the saddle. It wasn’t too bad to navigate but would recommend boots. Beautiful views from the top of Rainier, Mount Adams, Mt. St. Helens and Mount Hood. Definitely recommend on a clear day for the view.

Trail crosses a snow field towards the top. It’s a good idea to have GPS handy so you don’t get lost. Otherwise good experience, only saw a couple other people the entire time here. I did the hike in a pair of trail runners. If I had to do it over again, probably go with hiking boots due to snow. To actually summit either of the mountains you need some climbing gear, but the view from the saddle was amazing.

Great climb, switch backs go by the river. Nice views towards the top.

5/28/19. Yikes. The last 300 feet before the peak was steep, had to turn around due to grades 60 to 70%. I needed better equipment to scramble the last 300 ft.

We followed snow shoe tracks up to the bridge then stomped out the trail to the meadow below the summit. Steep, open hillsides close to the saddle are potential avalanche areas. It took us 4 hours to get the meadow. We turned around and came down in less than 2 hours. The snow was wet and heavy. Snow shoes recommended.

Sun Nov 25 2018

this is a very nice trail. climbed it yesterday and its got a great view.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Great early morning hike. It’s rated as Hard but I would only rate it as such if you push to the summit in under 60 minutes, otherwise it’s a moderate hike. Less crowed trail than others in the area and the path is well maintained. The view at the top is absolutely spectacular. Highly recommend.

Sun Aug 19 2018

I loved this hike. It was intermediate...not hard. The view was amazing and worth it.

Wed Jul 18 2018

This is a great hike with a huge reward at the top. Well worth the trek up. It is rated Hard... I would say medium/intermediate. I am not gonna lie, last bit is a little hard. Mosquitoes a plenty

Sun Jul 15 2018

The views were absolutely amazing and definitely an accomplishment when you reach the top. I am glad to have hiked this trail.

Sat Jul 14 2018

I agree with Cade, trail was not hard but the last 1/4 mile or so was steep but easy with the built in steps (I’m 62 btw). Hiked on July 3, 2018 and a few snow patches remaining but easy to see the trail. Marmots and views rocked! A really great gradual uphill trail otherwise. I highly recommend! Poles not really needed.

Mon Jul 09 2018

Cool trail, wouldn't rate it as hard, maybe a high moderate. Our group got on the trail around 10:30 and got back just after 3 with a huge break at the top. Saw a deer with her fawn and some marmots near the top, pretty decent trail.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Nice hike. Parking lot fills up fast on Saturday so get there early. Small parking lot by trailhead so I would suggest parking by the museum parking lot and hike to the trailhead. 5 min walk. Still snow up on the top. Trailhead starts by the Nisqually Suspension bridge.

Tue Jun 05 2018

We hiked up Eagle Peak today. It was snow covered starting around 3 miles up. We ended up hiking up a total of 3.4 miles because the snow was heavy at the top and clouds were rolling in so we didn’t make it all the way to the summit. We ran into a black tailed dear on the way up and she kept grazing as we were standing within about 10 feet of her. She slowly walked off the trail as we attempted to pass her. She remained very calm as we watched her for about 10 minutes. It certainly made the trip worthwhile. Thank you Mother Nature!

Tue May 29 2018

Was a nice hike today, beautiful views on top even though its a little bit cloudy and foggy. A lot of snow still near the top.