Dungeness Spit Trail

Dungeness Spit Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sequim, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge provides a great place to check out waterfowl and seabirds on the coast. First things first: this is an epically long hike on sand. It doesn't appear to be so bad from the start, but the spit is deceptively long. That said, it's a great way to spend a nice day. The nice part is that you can turn back at any point, there are no monumental landmarks along the way that you'll miss if you don't make the end. That doesn't mean there is nothing to see, however. The beach is a combination of fine sand and large cobbles - with enough variation in color and composition to keep it interesting. There are plenty of cairns constructed, seemingly, just for the sake of building cairns. The Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge and Dungeness Bay provide a sheltered area for thousands of seabirds and waterfowl, be sure to bring your guidebook to identify them. And, as always, the flotsam of the Pacific Ocean is washed up onshore - including unique beach glass and fishing floats among the ubiquitous plastic shards.

Loved it. Views of the Olympics, Cascades, Victoria Island and the San Juan Islands. Made it all the way out to the lighthouse. Watch the tide tables. Towards the end I was forced up into the rocky areas which is harder to walk on.

Really neat trail. You start in a forest before getting to the beach. There was a lot of driftwood, washed up trees, and cairns. The beach sand was packed and pebbly enough to run on. We didn’t make it out to the lighthouse, but still had fun. It was chilly in July, so bundle up. With the evening breeze I needed jeans and long sleeves when walking.

Nice, long beach walk....check the tides so that you are able to walk on sand, not driftwood, both out and back.

A beautiful walk on the beach. 5 miles one way to the lighthouse. You can also walk on the beach in the opposite direction. You can see many seabirds. Beautiful ocean. Very romantic.

Easy and nice walking to the light house. I walked exactly 11 miles out and back.

Easier walk than I thought. Great family outing too.

long walk lol
but worth it !!!

Didn't complete the entire walk to the lighthouse but whatever we did was stroller friendly, by that I mean a good jogging stroller. Didn't let our 18 month old out of the stroller because of all the driftwood on the shores. Nice views and relaxing time for all of us.

Great hike very scenic

Beautiful views, almost got caught by the incoming tide on the way back. Had a great time.

Friday, November 25, 2016

We went out for about 2 hours as we had a sleeping little one with us. The hike down through the forest was paved and beautiful once you got the towards the water it became a steep, wide, dirt trail which wasn't horrible (or very long) but for someone who doesn't do a lot of up hill leg usage it was "feel the burn". Once down to the water the sight took my breath away with the waves crashing beautifully on the smooth rocks. It was a little difficult as the tide was coming in to trek the entire trail as you had to somewhat Time the waves and occasionally meander through the driftwood. We saw a bald eagle nested but unfortunately didn't have a large enough zoom to capture. I would definitely say go for it!

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Have done this twice now. Always a nice time. Be aware of the weather and tides

Monday, September 19, 2016

awesome place for memories

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Perfect leisurely hike.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

amazing beach hike...we even encountered a gigantic sea lion bull...he wasn't as thrilled as we were, but he let us pass...and the lighthouse is totally worth your walk!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great trail. Remember the sunscreen.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

great walk, bring lots of water. check the tides and bring a lunch to stop at the lighthouse. and they do tours!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Like others have said it's a good workout and deceptive due to prolonged sand walking.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

great hike to the lighthouse and back, not a lot to see but it's an excellent workout. 11 miles round trip and a three dollar entrance fee the lighthouse volunteers were great make sure to check the tides before going. it's deceiving how difficult it is to walk in the sand so don't take this trail lightly

Friday, July 01, 2016

Great hike for adults and kids 10+. Make sure to bring a liter of water that you can refill at the light house. I hiked the entire 11 miles in flip flops (40 year old fit male) and had some mild soreness in my arches the next day. Our 10 year old was wining by about the 9th mile. The older kids loved it.

Monday, June 13, 2016

This was a great trek. My knees were sore after but the lighthouse volunteers are awesome. Had a great day!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Completed the hike today and it was a lot of fun. I parked right at the entrance and hiked the small trail to the trail head, this had some great views of the Puget Sound. Few tips: Use sunscreen, be prepared for spots with loose sand and small rocks, and use the bathroom at the trail head.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Sunny.... :) Beautiful and well worth it

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Beautiful day. Lots of wildlife.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

This trail is quite breath taking. We lucked out weather wise. We hiked earlier in the morning so the tide was a little higher and the air was a bit chilly. I would recommend packing lots of snacks, a pair of gloves depending on time of year and comfy boots or shoes because hiking on rocks and sand can be a bit difficult. The way back the tide was lower and the trail was easier to hike. There are lots of wildlife to see. We spotted 4 to 5 eagles. Two of which let us get pretty close to photograph from a respectable distance. Overall this was a beautiful hike but just remember it's about 11 miles to and from so prepare accordingly with food and proper clothing. Don't forget sunblock!

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Awesome hike today. Perfect weather. Had low tide on the return.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

We visited Dungeness Spit as a wrap-up to our Olympic National Park trip; we didn't complete the whole trail as the sun was setting and we had already hiked a lot that day, but it was still great to walk down the beach for golden hour. The upper part of the trail before the beach is very nice and educational, although the lookouts are all pretty much obstructed views.

Friday, November 06, 2015

had a great time...the lighthouse is a fascinating highlight

Friday, September 04, 2015

I wore both my kids half way and my husband wore our 3 year old daughter. Great trail and great beach. We had a good time. We will do it again and next time camp at the camp ground as well.