Duckabush River Trail to Five Mile Camp

Duckabush River Trail to Five Mile Camp is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brinnon, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,814 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I hiked this last Sunday and my Dawg and I LOVED it! There we're a lot of terrain changes, a lovely rushing river, and an incredible view! I'm going back for sure!!!

The trail was in great shape. We just had one encounter with a blow down on the trail. The weather was perfect.

The trail was great. Late start and was pitch black by the time we arrived at the 2.5 camp site. Continued to 5 mile camp second day. Paths a good condition just beware that some of the rocks on the path are sharp and I carried my dog over those sections. Beautiful area!!!

Good hike on warm day. take lots of water. trail in good shape..

Beautiful Camp at the end of the trail. the first half of the trail is moderate and then you do about 1 mile of switchbacks. There is an obvious fork in the trail in the first half of the trail (I cant remember which mile), go right at the fork. When I went, someone had placed a branch to "block" the left side of the fork. At 2.5 miles, you will see the river to your left which will be your last time to filter water before you go up the switchbacks and before you reach camp. Overall, you get a little bit of everything with this hike--totally worth it.

was not expecting the climbing up a mountain part be prepared. the views were spectacular though. will definitely do again after we get camping gear. - bridge&knuckles ✌

Did this yesterday 5/31/19. Great hike from trailhead to 5-mile Camp. I’ve done this trail twice and each time I’ve logged more than the 8.8 miles this app says it is. 10.7 miles this time. 11.2 last time. Same turn around. Same app tracking. Weird. Fantastic view from viewpoint near the top of the switchbacks. The switchbacks...argh. There is some overgrowth onto the trail in spots but doesn’t impede. If it’s wet or dewey then prepared to get wet from the foliage. This is a good trail to do on a hot sunny day because most of it is shaded and the river is near by a lot of the time. The road in needs some work - lots of potholes once you leave the pavement (about 2 miles). There was broken car window glass where we parked so beware. No bears sited this visit. Definitely one of my favorites.

The WTA crew has done a fantastic job maintaining the trail. Thank you for all your hard work! The road to the TH is in good shape. My FWD sedan handled well despite the many potholes. Arrived at the lot around 8am over Memorial Day weekend and there were 6 or 7 cars already there. The trail itself was beautiful and gentle until the switchbacks. We didn't encounter anyone for several miles. Lovely views at Big Hump. Be aware this is bear country. We encountered bear #1 about 20 feet above the trail on a rock field near 5 Mile Camp. This was a large adult and didn't seem concerned by us. Bear sighting #2 occurred near our campsite that evening. Our neighbors had dogs who warned us about the approaching bear and their barking scared it off. Come prepared, this is their home, not ours!

nice clear trail. nice river views before big hump. Big hump was a hump, but not bad at all when pacing yourself. views are breath taking once at the top of big hump. The gravel road up to the trail head has a lot of large/deep pot holes, so caution is advised.

Good workout but not a lot of views. River is beautiful and campsite is great

Did an overnight backpacking trip in this trail. Great drive over from Seattle. But overall a beautiful, dynamic trail. Beginning part is easy, relaxing. Then you meet up with the river and shortly beyond that you hit "Big Hump"–the switchbacks that the other reviewers refer to as "brutal". I personally didn't think they were that bad. They're work for sure, but they're part of the fun. Once you're at the top you get some great views. Then you go down the backside of Big Hump down to 5 Mile Camp. We setup camp, and enjoyed our evening. Woke up at sunrise the next day, made brekkie and coffee, packed up and headed back out. Right before heading out I took a little "advice" from my "friend" Jack Herer, and really really enjoyed the hike back.

Dog friendly and plenty of water spots for them to drink from. Great hike overall and I really enjoyed it.

Great hike with amazing views the whole way! I went on a rainy day and still loved every bit of this hike. I ran into two groups while I was here which I couldn’t have asked for anything better. I had to cross a few ankle deep water spots and there were a couple downed trees on the trail. Neither of which were a huge deal.

Great hike with beautiful views and great picture spots. However trail had a bit of snow after the top of Big Hump not enough to prevent us from getting to 5 mile camp though.

Good hike. Lots of debris on the trail and still snow toward the top of big hump.

Good hike!

This being the first leg of our 4 day journey, starting October 12th and ending on October 15th. The trail was smooth travel on a well maintained path. There was a fork a few miles in, but someone was kind enough to place branches across the wrong path. we could not find a sign for 5 mile camp, but saw many possible campsites.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Great hike with beautiful views! Great for dogs!

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Beautiful hike and a few great little camping areas. I would say that it's one you can bring young kids and they would have a good time. Most of the hike was in the woods. Fairly flat compared to other hikes nearby. Plan on 4-5 hours to go all the way to the campground with some time to rest and take breaks.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

First hike in the Seattle area and it did not disappoint! Trail was easy to access and clearly sign posted which was great as we’re from out of town. Distance was closer to 11-12 miles according to my phone tracking and as has been described previously, the switchbacks to the top are tough, but the trail is easy to follow and the view from the top does not disappoint! It was a hard first hike but well worth it.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Both fauna and foliage came through on my first trip there! I spotted a goat climbing down a giant bolder, a stark white (except the tail) blacktail doe, happened upon a huge buck, etc. I won't spoil it all, but when considering Big Hump, be sure to bring extra batteries for your camera or a charger for your phone! I can't wait to press further on my next visit! i may even picnic at the halfway point of Big Hump

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Great hike with views of the river. The trail is in good shape until Five Mile Camp with only a few blowdowns. After Five Mile Camp there are lots of blowdowns and the trail is more overgrown. As others have noted, the switchbacks are brutal.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

The switchbacks are brutal but the view is worth the work. The traffic was heavier than I expected it would be. All things considered, a beautiful trail.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Great exercise. Many switchbacks. Nice views. Mostly shaded. A pass is required to park at the trailhead.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I know it says 9.2 miles but by the time I was done with this one my Apple Watch had tracked me at 15 miles. Maybe I did some extra wandering around. The river was beautiful.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Had our truck broken into at the trailhead.