Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Underwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,824 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. $5 per vehicle at Dog Mountain trailhead.

icy

Great hike! It was solid trail for the 1st quarter, muddy from the first 1/4 to the 1/2 point, and eventually just complete snow. Snowshoes weren’t needed today although some crampons/micro spikes might have been helpful after puppy point, not due to anything technical but just to avoid slipping on ice. Otherwise it’s a beautiful hike.

icy

Pretty easy trailing through some snow and trees within the first two miles. Recommend gators for the top portion (last mile) because the snow levels are about 3-4 feet depending where you are. The exposed part of the trail gets windy and super chilly. Recommend a face buff, keeping your water bottle inside your pack to keep it from freezing and LOTS OF LAYERS. We did not use crampons, just waterproof boots. I stopped 1/4 miles from the summit due to snow up to my waist (I’m 5’6) and scary cliff drop off with high winds but my two friends did it which took an additional 45 minutes. Snow rolled in quick and a blizzard happened. Beautiful scenery but be prepared!

fee
icy

I hiked Dog Mountain for the second time this morning (Jan 12) and it did not have snow until I gained 2500 feet. I continued in the snow for a little bit, but once I got past the tree line, the winds were extremely intense and scary. Two descending hikers recommended that I turn around if I didn’t have snow goggles. I turned around about a half mile from the peak. Overall it was an amazing hike!! Didn’t get to see many views because of the clouds and rain, but it was an awesome workout. I’m an experienced hiker, but I felt my legs burning within the first half mile, and it didn’t ease up at all! There is a lookout about 2 miles in that would make a great destination if you aren’t up for the entire hike. FYI, the only reason I took one star off my rating is because it gets so windy and is very exposed at the top last the tree line. If you are prepared for it you’ll be fine.

it was a rainy day but the beautiful forest kept us nice and dry. due to 30-35 mph winds we decided to stop just shy of the peak. not much of a view through the clouds but we caught great views on the descent!

icy

Wow! Lives up to the hype for sure. My GPS said 5 miles. Would have been 7 if we’d gone to the peak and back. Took us 2:45 going at a nice clip. Now I know what a “hard” rating on All Trails means! Really hard. Really beautiful. Completed December 30 and would love to do it again in the summer. Next time we’d bring hiking poles for the decent. It’s steep!

icy

Hiked 12.28. Some snow and ice near top. Trail in good condition with free parking available because not in summer pass period.

icy

good hike. straight uphill. well worth it

icy

Great stuff! First time here in 4 years or so, and it didn’t disappoint. Took the ‘more difficult’ route rather than the ‘difficult’ route and enjoyed it. Pretty steep most of the way up. Towards the top it was frosty on the ground and trees, then at the summit there was complete snow. Not the best views this time of year considering all the fog, but super nice nonetheless.

I do this hike at least once a year — it’s too good not to! It’s definitely hard if you aren’t an avid hiker but the view at the top makes up for the challenge!

Hiked it 12/7/2019 - late morning start. Dog Mountain is always my go-to hike for training for the "bigger" ones. No snow or ice on the trail. A few patches of snow up top but not much. Steady rain all day around high 40's. Parking lot was pretty light with about 7 or 8 cars.

Trail was covered in snow. Most was 2-5 inches, but over 12 towards the top of the mountain. Bring your microspikes.

Hiked 11-28-19. Icy & slippery trail last mile up. Bring your microspikes.

recorded Dog Mountain

icy

Great trail. Started at 2pm to get the sunset at the top. About 3-5 inches of snow at the very top, and trail is icy the last 1mi or so, getting progressively worse as you ascend. Dark around 4:30pm. Recommend Yak Trax or similar.