Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Underwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,824 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. $5 per vehicle at Dog Mountain trailhead.

Hiked it 12/7/2019 - late morning start. Dog Mountain is always my go-to hike for training for the "bigger" ones. No snow or ice on the trail. A few patches of snow up top but not much. Steady rain all day around high 40's. Parking lot was pretty light with about 7 or 8 cars.

Trail was covered in snow. Most was 2-5 inches, but over 12 towards the top of the mountain. Bring your microspikes.

Hiked 11-28-19. Icy & slippery trail last mile up. Bring your microspikes.

recorded Dog Mountain

icy

Great trail. Started at 2pm to get the sunset at the top. About 3-5 inches of snow at the very top, and trail is icy the last 1mi or so, getting progressively worse as you ascend. Dark around 4:30pm. Recommend Yak Trax or similar.

It was a great hike! Took my 7 month old German Shepherd, he loved it, only think I’d worry about with taking a dog is to reach the “top” you have to use a narrow trail that you or the pup could easily slip down if you need to get over to let people pass or to pass people, but overall beautiful scenery and a leg burner for sure

Great hike - burns the glutts! Gets really high after a while, not recommended if you have vertigo. Overall beautiful views and amazing workout!

Great trail! A bit foggy today, still beautiful

fee

Hiked on 11/11/19. Started at 2:20 p.m. Late start yes I know but I wanted to catch the sunset! Maybe a dozen or so cars at the trailhead and only 1 other group looking to start the hike at that time. On the way up saw around 10 people descending, passed a group, and got passed by a trail runner (he was fast). Official ‘top’ of Dog Mtn. at 3:40 p.m. Didn’t see the trail runner up here. Did see the group arrive that I started around the same time with. I went to the left of the fork and they must have gone right because I beat them up even though they started ahead lol. At the top I stopped for around 30 minutes. Took a ton of pictures, had a cliff bar, changed layers, had water and then I headed back down. Back at my car at 5:20 p.m. It was windy at the top (gusts of around 15-25 mph probably) and chilly. The group that arrived after me at the top also took off way before me but I passed them once more at about halfway down the mountain. Also passed the other party that I saw going up again. It got dark fast so I was thankful for my headlamp! Pretty much ran down the entire way because I wanted to catch the Seahawks lol—made it to my house around the second quarter (; Need trekking poles, layers, at least two liters of water, food/snacks, ten essentials (to be safe) and motivation lol. Wonderful hike!! P.S. always remember leave no trace!!

I’m hoping that someone who hiked this beautiful hike yesterday happen to find my Hoka shoes? I accidentally left them outside my car... and drove off without them.

One of the best hikes in the Gorge, absolutely beautiful.

This was an amazing Fall hike! The forest on the way up and down was breathtakingly beautiful. I have avoided this hike for years due to crowds and the intense winds at the top, but while there were certainly people hiking, it never felt at all crowded and there was no wind at all!

Beautiful climb and views!

NOT for inexperienced or out-of-shape hikers, but a marvelous, butt-burning cardio workout for those seeking an absolutely spectacular view. Bring plenty of water with you, some snacks, & trail poles if you got 'em. I'm pretty light, spry & athletically inclined, & i SUPER wish I had brought poles with me! Loved the calm woods in between the exterior passes with gorgeous views. Thankful for my Solomon Trail Runners, they kept their grip along the loose gravely parts of the alpine meadow pass. Worth the grueling hike up! Glad I went in the "off-season", I encountered a pleasant number of hikers to feel safe & not so alone, but it was not crowded this time of year by any means.

This was an amazing hike! I hear it gets super busy in the spring from all the wildflowers. Glad I did this in the fall. Views are crazy!

started from the path left of the parking lot. going up was quite easy with a nice view on top. going down we realised that the trail would be twice as hard if you would have started the path with the restrooms at the start (which means it was quite strenuous on the knees going down).

Totally worthwhile hike, pretty much the best views of the Gorge you can get. As such, it attracts lots of people, but that's not always a bad thing. met some really nice people last time on the way down. It's also right near Hood River, so the winds at the top of the trail can get quite intense. On my way down (after sunset) I met a couple who claimed they heard a big cat, so I guess take that how you wish.

Great hike. It takes about 2-4 hours depending on your fitness ability, it is a hard hike. Beautiful views! I don’t see the need for poles but bring food and water. My Apple Watch tracked seven miles.

Hiked the loop but not the last leg on the Augspurger trail, didn't really see the sense once I was up there and I had a time constraint, was spot on 6 miles for what I did (see recording). I found the hike down more physically demanding than going up.

Great hike and doesn't take up an entire day. All Trails says 6 miles but my iPhone said 9 miles. Bring 2 liters of water and trekking poles. Arrived at 7:50AM and summited at 11AM on 9/21/2019. Had a little bit of everything, cold, heat, fog, misty rain. On my way down I saw many starting out with dogs off leash. This isn't very safe and not advisable. There was no view as it was still very cloudy but the only way to avoid this is to start out at 11AMish this time of year but I enjoy the solitude more than the crowds.

Great day hike, no more wild flowers but it’s still pretty! Super Windy at the top but beautiful views of the gorge. We went up the “difficult” way and down the “more difficult” way. Both were steep

This hike was WOW!

Awesome hike! This trail is definitely a good workout but the views are great. Didn’t expect to see Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens with the beautiful gorge in between. Can also see Mt. Adams at the top through the trees. Flowers were not in bloom when we went but the hike was still spectacular. It also meant no crowds. Easy parking and a bathroom at the start of the trail.

Awesome trail. Hiked in late August, so we unfortunately missed the wild flowers. But on the bright side we only saw a couple of other hikers! No crowds with clear skies. Love the incline...definitely some work but well worth it.

Good leg workout I ended up going up the trail opposite of the restrooms. Leg get a good workin It was foggy at the top but the views were still pretty good and air was crispy

Great hike. You’re going to want to be in pretty good shape. Beautiful views at the top.