Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Underwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. $5/vehicle/day at Dog Mountain Trailhead

Hiked this yesterday on 3/17. There is still snow most of the way but is fairly packed down now between other hikers and this warmer weather. I didn't use spikes until the final 1/3 of the hike up but did use them and poles on the descent since there were some icy spots and it became more sloppy as the sun was out. But I definitely recommend this while there is still snow. I loved it more with snow than without. Super pretty!

Awesome to do this in the snow!! Legit training hike for mountain climbing.

Did this hike on 3/4 and it was super snowy but stunning. Would recommend mico spikes as the snow shoes I wore were pretty clunky and uncomfortable to wear given the steep incline. Wind is bitter cold so bring lots of extra layers.

Usually do this hike in the Spring for the wildflowers (talk about AMAZING), This was my first time hiking it in the winter. It did not disappoint! There was plenty of snow and the sun came out while I was hiking up which made the scenery even more beautiful! Definitely bring micro spikes as the trail was a bit sketchy in places related to lots of snow and the steepness of the trail.

Hiked 2/16/18 and it was beautiful in the snow. The trailhead was not cleared but there was parking available for 10ish cars. The snow was ~2 ft deep and it started out packed down enough to be manageable in regular boots. Snowshoes probably would have made things easier. We went about 1/3 of the way up but got frustrated from sinking in every two steps. Doable but slow going! also really fun having this popular hike all to ourselves!

This hike Is famous for its wild flowers However It is an extremely spectacular snow hike in Winter.

Hiked this beauty for the first time today 01.21.19. Took the difficult route and it was a nice steady climb. Definitely want to try the more difficult next time. A great butt kicker!
Wish I had brought my spikes for the last 3/4 mile. Lots of snow, slippery in areas but doable with nice hiking boots. The wind was brutal and the top completely covered in fog. But wow was it gorgeous! Can only imagine the views from top on a clear day.

Steep all the way up. I went in February 2018 on a rare sunny day. Gorgeous views of the gorge. The mountain weather changes drastically up top. Wear layers or at least pack prepared. I remember the wind being brutal. I’d love to go back when the flowers are blooming. Interesting history of the mountain too.

Hiked on 1/14/19. Super steep. Went up the difficult side which I feel good about because it was harder than heck. The last 1/2 mile was fog fog fog and icy. Not safe conditions doing it alone with out proper equipment. I will definitely hike this again.

Great exhausting hike, and well worth it with the views and flowers. Why bother hiking a sidewalk, hike Dog mountain because you'll feel like you've been somewhere and experienced something worthwhile!

I did this as a fall hike, and it was really lovely. I went up the “most difficult” side and came down “difficult”, and would recommend this if you struggle more with walking down steep grades more than walking up them. Beautiful views of the gorge, and done in almost exactly 3 hours.

Did it 12/1 and the top had 2-3” of snow. It was incredible. Followed coyote tracks for a while. Fog blew in and out. I actually loved it.

I did this as my very first solo hike! A little belated birthday present to myself, too! Had an AMAZING day up there! The weather was perfect, though the chill of winter was definitely showing up! The trail was wet from rain the previous day/night, so there were a few moderately slick spots, but my hiking boots were more than enough to get past it. Had the trail mostly to myself! Took the new, scenic trail up, and the west trail back for some variation. So different-looking than in the spring! I have been on Dog Mountain I think 2 or 3 times before and the wind was the calmest I’ve ever experienced it up there. I wanted to go back as soon as I left! I think I left my heart up there! Love this hike!

This hike is on the tougher side! The loop on this trail map includes the "most difficult" section (left) and the "difficult" (right). We opted to do the "difficult" as an out and back, which is actually just a bit longer than doing the loop. Some areas are super steep, and there are rocks on the trail as you get up towards the summit. The views are amazing, and the wind whips pretty wild up top. Our dog was fine the entire way, and we ended at 7.6 miles in 3.5 hours, including a 20 minute break at the top for snacks and photos.

You have the choice of taking either the, "difficult" route or the, "more difficult" route. I regret to tell you I took the, "more difficult" route. It. Kicked. My. Ass. It was relentless. Constant climbing. Zero breaks. I recommend taking the, "difficult" route. Some parts of the trail, especially towards the top, are rocky. Wear legit hiking boots/shoes. I saw quite a few people wearing tennis shoes, which seemed really dangerous and stupid. The views are gorgeous, and even though I felt like jello by the end of it, it was worth it. This hike took me just under four hours. There's a $5 fee and a bathroom at the start of the trail.

Amazing. Hard ascent but absolutely worth it

Up was hard, it keeps going up with very few breaks but worth the views. I stayed to the right which stays closer to thev river with a nice view point. When I got to the top I went off the back and looped around to the other trail. I wish I would have went back down the way I went up. The views were better going up. The down was much harder the the up, legs were jello when I got back to the car.

Steep hike all the way but the views are definitely worth it. The first landing has amazing views overlooking the gorge. The second landing was completely surrounded by fog so we couldn’t see anything. It was also the steepest part of the hike. Probably could’ve just skipped that and looped down after the first overlook. We chose to go up the “difficult” way and down the “more difficult” side, which worked out well.

Beautiful trail!!! Tough to hike, but worth every second of it.

This hike truly earns the difficult rating.

The "more difficult" route is hilariously steep, and, for much of the hike, your heels won't be on the ground. Each time it briefly leveled out, 50 feet later it was back to being straight up.

This has to be the most difficult hike I've done to date - I haven't hiked many, but this amount of elevation gain over only 3 miles was honestly insane.

The trail is very well kept going up and down, though there are some rocky areas near the summit that deserve a little caution.

The views at the top are incredible - I can't imagine how beautiful it would be in summer with the flowers in bloom.

My wife, our Beagle and Vizsla, and I started this awesome but grueling ascent around 9am. We reached the top by 1030am. Don’t shy away from the “more difficult” route, pretty sure either way will be tough and require several stops. Despite the fact that there aren’t any waterfalls, the views of the winding Columbia are hard to beat. Very rewarding and the way down isn’t too rough. Good luck!

Have you ever used the stair climber at your local gym? Well this is the real world version... It took us 3 hours total to finish and my legs were toast (I also hadn't hiked in about 3 weeks prior). Views of the gorge are incredible, but the wind at the top was pestering.

Views are awesome and the climb is hard, for real, but doable. Took us about 4 hours but that was because our old dog couldn’t make it the entire way so for the last 1.5 Miles I had to carry my 70lbs 10 year old Pitbull down. Don’t worry we took lots of water breaks and brought food for him too, but his legs were just giving out and shaking so bad. He stopped several times on his own and he didn’t want to move. Poor guy. The decent was really hard on him. I didn’t think it would be that bad, but it was clearly uncomfortable for him and my wife and I on our knees. FYI he is a very spry and energetic dog. Still has a ton of play in him. Didn’t think this would take it out of him like that. We loaded up some packs for us so we had unnecessary weight on to help us train but it was very hard on the knees. We also took the “more difficult” path. Maybe it really is more difficult, I don’t know it was our first time doing this trail, so maybe that added to it. So keep the old pouches off this trail, and prepare to beat your knees up a little but it is definitely a workout with great views. I felt my legs more after this hike than I did on Mt St Helens on a summer hike, mostly due to the decent. Enjoy it.

really kicks your butt, relentlessly. but worth it for the view. downhills harder than uphill. I know that now for sure.

I hiked it last week. Amazing hike! Pretty steep at some points, a great workout for the heart.
My Fitbit recorded 6.75 miles in 3.5 hours round trip. Gorgeous views halfway up and towards the top. It got rainy and windy toward to the summit so bring layers as you’ll never know what awaits you. -:)
Even if you don’t see much because the clouds roll in it feels very rewarding to hike to the top.
I will keep hiking it to keep me in shape.

Happy hiking! Cheers!

Having on two previous occasions hiked Mount Defiance and Dog Mountain each on the same day, I decided to attempt a triple ... Defiance once and Dog twice.
August 31, 2018
7:20 a.m. start up Mount Defiance (Trail #413 out and back)
10:19 a.m. summit 1
12:57 p.m. down
1:44 p.m. start up Dog Mountain (1st loop, Augspurger Trail to Dog Mt Trail)
3:24 p.m. summit 2
4:31 p.m. down
4:48 p.m. start up Dog Mountain (2nd loop, Augspurger Trail to Dog Mt Trail)
6:43 p.m. summit 3
7:53 p.m. down and done
25.4 miles, 10,440 elevation gain/loss, 11 hours, 6 minutes total hike time
23rd time up Mount Defiance, 95th & 96th time up Dog Mountain

Hard hike the whole way up but amazing views the whole time!

Trail is very well groomed - there are some rocky sections at the beginning and end but nothing significant. Basically the entire trail is runnable if you can handle the steep inclines. Beautiful views. A NW Forest Pass ($30 per year and valid all over the PNW for many, but not all trails) is sufficient to avoid the $5 parking fee. Make sure to get permit in advance during the summer because they run out quickly (weekends only from May-July due to increased interest subsequent to Eagle Creek Fire).

Continuous climb from the parking lot. $5 parking fee. Spectacular views from the top. Lots of people. Absolutely beautiful!