Learn more

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Carson, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,824 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. $5 per vehicle at Dog Mountain trailhead.

Great hike and challenging but well worth it. Take plenty of water also.

I felt very challenged by this hike and I loved it

Difficult but worth it!

Although it was crowded the top was very nice.

This is an awesome trail if you have some time in the Gorge. We took the difficult route, and it was pretty steep in parts. It starts to get rocky once you’re near the top, we definitely lost our footing more than once coming back down. Be warned: this is a very popular trail. If you are looking for something more private this is NOT the trail for you. We took our masks and wore them anytime we came into close contact. That being said, the view is gorgeous!

super pretty! definitely a tough trail but lots of pay offs

Beautiful views at the top today, but you have to earn it! Definitely a leg burner but well worth it.

Finally got to do the famous dog mountain hike today. Beautiful trail and decently challenging. We took the “less intense” trail up which was still difficult. Great views at the top. We did this in 2.5 hours up and back.

fee

We took the more difficult route up and it was a great leg work out. Majority of it was incline. To come down we did the difficult and it had one spot with a really nice view. Overall worth the hike.

fee

7/3/20 hike. Steep incline from the start. We did the more difficult trail up and it was a pretty intense incline most of the way up. Did the less difficult trail down. I wouldn't recommend this for the kiddos.

fee

loved the hike, I picked the more difficult trail and it was an amazing workout. I picked the difficult trail on the way back. it was a great hike.

Blocked off towards the end. Might be able to get through with pants

Great trail! It was windy at the top and hard to go around the loop because it was muddy and overgrown. Nevertheless breathtaking!

Tough trail! Very steep! There are some places you have to jog going down, because it's so steep! We didn't make it to the top this time, because the wind was too high. The path was a little overgrown, but it was totally passible! 10/10, will do again!

Nice open meadow and wildflowers at the top, great view too. Windy at the top, so bring a light jacket if you plan to spend any time there. Last quarter (ish) mile before reaching said meadow is a little overgrown, but only with thimbleberries which are harmless and easy to push aside.

Trail open today and in good condition! A few spots overgrown, but only small portions. Some wildflowers still in bloom, though it's clearly past peak at this point. Was a beautiful hike today nonetheless. There were not many people at the trail this morning, though I'd definitely advise to avoid overcrowding the Gorge as things are still reopening. This was also on a Friday morning, so I would certainly anticipate more hikers on the upcoming weekends. I came down the Augspurger Trail, which was quite overgrown. Would not recommend it right now.

As of 6/15 readysetgorge.com & fs.usda.gov lists Dog Mountain Trail as OPEN. The $1 day permit (per hiker) is only required on Saturdays/Sundays from 4/18 - 6/14 according to the website. $5 parking fee. NW Forest Pass required ($30 for annual pass or $5 for 1 day pass). I did the trail on 6/19 & it was indeed open. VERY steep but doable; go at your own pace. And bring plenty of water. Beautiful views toward the top. A trail at the top (part of the loop?) is very overgrown to the point you can’t get through. I went up the Dog Mtn Trail to the summit & back down the same way. Be careful going down so you don’t slide.

closed

as of june 15th trailhead still closed for covid precautions. augspurger trail as well

CLOSED! Went today thinking it may be open. Definitely closed with markers and gate. $330 fine per person and $130 for parked vehicles! Hopefully it will open soon!

closed

Dog Mountain trail is closed. Previous poster is FOS. Check website before making the drive. Super cool trail when open.

closed

Does anyone know if it is open? I hate to miss the wildflowers.

This might just be one of my favorite trails! Great views and you have to really earn it!

Still closed as of this week. Rangers handing out $130 tickets for parked cars anywhere on the roads, even far away from the trailhead.

Does anyone know if the trial is open