Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Home Valley, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top.

This is a tough one but very worth it. The view from the top is amazing.

Couple things to keep in mind, it's one of the most popular in the gorge so sunny weekend days will be shared with a bunch of other hikers. Ticks are common even in March when we went(found one making a meal of me). Also it was a little icey up at the last mile so good traction boots are a minimum. Like I said though, it is worth it.

Steeper than anticipated, but the views are worth it. There was still ice & snow covering the steep path closer to the summit, but was able to step into the footprints made by other people. It was raining the entire time so going down was a tiny bit tricky.

Great hike and wonderful views at the top and the whole way up. Be prepared as it is pretty much an uphill hike for the entire 3 miles.

Climbed this hill during the winter four times. As of 2/23 the top half of the mountain is still covered with snow and ice. Traction device and ice axe still required to reduce the risk.

Tried to do this trail 2 days ago (1/19) and it was completely washed out by snow and ice. I had microspikes on, and it was still very dangerous. We got about a mile up before we decided to turn around. The way down was dangerous due to the inch of ice on top of about 2-3 feet of snow.. we ended up sliding down on our butts most of the way. Hoping it all melts away so I can try it again!!

Beautiful!

great hiking:)

Great day hike, but this is not for someone new to hiking. Highly recommend going when the wild flowers bloom - normally early spring. Great views and a great workout!

I highly recommend this trail when the flowers are in bloom, but the views are still beautiful either way.

Great view with a steep hike. Took me 1 hr 45 mins to get to the top and it was worth all the sweat! You get almost a mile into the trail and then it splits with one trail going 2.2 miles to the left and one that goes 2.6 miles to the right. They meet up later on. I went to the right on the 2.6mile trail on the way up. It's just as steep as the beginning with no flat spots. However there is a pretty nice little viewpoint along the trail with a bench. Once you get back to where the trails meet up again is when you get into the really steep stuff. Plenty of spots along the way to take a break. View is well worth it once you're up there in the open. I went at the end of summer and the flowers were nonexistent due to the lack of water. I can imagine that the view would be twice as good if you went earlier in the year. But I was still very pleased with the view. Parking lot had more cars than people so I'm assuming they were doing other trails at this trailhead.

Not too crowded. Steep incline! Beautiful views at top. Closer to 7.5 miles round trip.

Beautiful and challenging day hike. Go in April for the wildflowers!

One of my favorites