Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Home Valley, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top.

3 minutes ago

Very difficult but worth it for the views!

One of my favorite hikes! I advise going early for multiple reasons such as weather, and crowds.

This trail is no joke but worth the pain as the views are incredible!

Wildflower bliss... and a good workout, too.

I did this hike on a Sunday, got to the trailhead at around 3:15pm and there were plenty of people leaving, had to wait maybe 5 minutes to find a parking spot. Be careful of poison oak but if you stay on the trail, you'll be fine.

Definitely steep but the beautiful views are very rewarding. Lots bugs along the hike and at the top.

I chose to come down via the Augspurger Mountain Trail, it added almost 1 mile to the total but the trail wasn't nearly as steep, easier on the knees and much less crowded. However, sections of the Augspurger trail, near the top were overgrown and quite muddy. But once you got the junction, the trail was fine.

My recording paused but I believe the total miles were approximately 7.2 miles.

Hiked this today. Difficult but worth it. You definitely need hiking poles on the way up and down. Yellow flowers are beginning to die, but it's still beautiful!

Hiked on 6-16-17.

This trail is right off hwy 14 so it's very easy to get to. It's along the Columbia river gorge / bridge of the gods, and there's a few eateries just west of the trailhead.

I thought this trail would be a moderate hike. Drive down from Olympia and started at 1:30. It took me just under 2 hrs to get to the top, including breaks. It's was very cloudy, windy and rainy, so unfortunately I did not get the beauty of the gorge and nearby lake, but the woods is still very beautiful.

About 75% of the hike is through woods and then to the open area and oh man, even though I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me, the wildflowers made this hike worth it.

When I got to the top, it was uneventful because of lack of view. I wasn't even sure I'd made it to the end and then walked around in circles at the top for a bit. All in all, it took me 2.5 hours to get up and down.

Also, it was extremely windy at the top, 20-30 mph, rain, low visibility. Doable, but no views and definitely a little sketchy at the top part with such strong winds.

I'd like to come back and do this hike on a clear day when I can see the Columbia river.

Hiked mid-June, beautiful flowers but was crowded.

Did this as a train for a mountain summit coming up in the next few months and it didn't disappoint. Took the more difficult route up (and the easier down) with 40lbs in my backpack. Was a grueling trek to the top, with each hill crest only leading to more incline with very little reprieve. The easier route is much flatter overall, through there's no escaping the two steep climbs at the start and end.

My son and I did this hike to celebrate Mother's Day. He proclaimed this hike as the most beautiful one he's ever done. Since I had considerably less experience, I could only agree that it was pretty amazing. Beautiful flowers, a perfect day, good company. Who needs more?

Great hike! Arrived at 7:45am and there was space in the parking lot. Not many folks on the trail. Saw lots of beautiful wildflowers, some wild ginger, and a deer! It's quite chilly at the top so have layers, maybe even gloves. Took 1.5 hours to get to the top. Pay attention to the routes - signage is lacking (we took a wrong turn on the way down and extended our hike by about 2 miles - whoops!). Will definitely hike this one again!

Great hike. First time. Started at 7am. Went with some friends. Flowers were in bloom. Saw a deer. Almost didn't go due to rain but glad we risked it. Barely had any rain. It even cleared by the time we reached the top and provided spectacular views of the Columbia river and forge.