Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Underwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. $5/vehicle/day at Dog Mountain Trailhead

Definitely a workout on the legs and knees, but worth it. Always come prepared! It can be quite chilly and windy at the top. We took a little side trail loop on the way down - it was a nice change in scenery and much warmer.

Don’t be fooled by the name. I did not see one dog on Dog Mountain. It is dog friendly though, so I assume it’s a BYO situation.

The assent is hard. With a very steep incline. When the path forks go to the right of you want to really feel the burn. Better views on the left fork, but you can loop back in the opposite direction on the way down.

The peak is confused. We did go off the AT main trail to find a higher point. Views of the Gorge are pretty good. Hard trek. Recommend swimming down at Little White Salmon to freshen up on a hot day.

Tough hike with absolutely beautiful views!

Note: The Discover Pass does not work as I found out with my $5 ticket. It is $5/day or an interagency pass will work.

Nice cool shaded hike below until you start the face where you are exposed. The first mile is the toughest as far as elevation gain which doesn’t seem like it should be but it is - get past that and you will be alright :) Foliage up top was all brown and dried up so I’d recommend going earlier in the summer.

We hiked Dog mountain last week while vacationing in Stevenson, WA. This hike is not for the faint of heart. It’s a heart pounding climb from the first step onto the trail. You need to be in good physical shape for this hike. There is ALOT of exposure near the top so if you have a fear of heights this one might not be for you. This hike was AMAZING! It is worth every bit of hard work getting to the top....the views will leave you speechless. We were there on a Friday and there were maybe a dozen people we saw along the trail. We will definitely do this hike again.

In the heat of the summer, this trail is worth hiking if you are simply looking for a leg and cardio workout. It is popular with trail runners and folks training for races because of the steady elevation gain. However, in the spring when the flowers are blooming, it's incredibly beautiful and really worth the effort. In May there are Balsamroots galore, Indian Paintbrush, Lupines, and more (plus tons of other people). My favorite time to go is late afternoon to avoid the crowds and watch the sunset. (Bring a headlamp for the end of the trail.) This trail isn't overly difficult for avid hikers, but would be really challenging if you aren't used to long uphills. Note: you don't have to pay the $5 parking fee if you have a Discover Pass.

Definitely a leg burner up and down. Amazing views at the top.

Loved this trail. The first half mile or so is steep switchbacks until you get to where the trail splits for difficulty to more difficulty. The. After that it is moderate with the exception of some steep switchbacks. The view up is amazing and so is the end. It’s windy up on top so bring a light jacket. We woke up at 4 am and got to the trailhead at 5. There was only one car in the parking lot. And we only got passed once by a couple. On the way down we could hear tree branches breaking so that was a little scary especially since no one else was on the trail. Once we got back down to where the trail splits we saw a couple heading up and then another couple going up as well. It’s not very busy during the early morning

Totally worth the trip

Pretty tough trail but definitely worth the hike! Lots of stuff to see, unless it gets cloudy… but the sooner you get there, the less people you come across up on top. My girlfriend and me and 2 dogs have hiked this trail 5 times now and it’s normally super windy and rainy up top. There was a heavy downpour and crazy winds last time we got there and when we were approaching summit (there is this 3-way intersection) there was a group of about 8 stupid people blocking the trails on all 3 directions!!!!! And I told them repeatedly ‘excuse us, we’re coming through’ about 4 times and they ignored us… so we just zig-zagged our way through and I slipped and I hit my knee really hard on a rock AND almost rolled down the top of the mountain because I was trying to avoid stepping on someone’s backpack and these f*cking idiots didn’t even say sorry or anything, so I was furious but I stayed quiet… BUT if it had been my girlfriend that slipped and hurt herself instead of me I would have done something stupid, I’m sure! However, this older hiking couple (who were also waiting for these idiots to get out the way) saw everything and they went off on these idiots blocking the trail and told them to either move their stuff or don’t hike this sort of trails again bc they’re being incosiderate of other hikers. But anyway, I wouldn’t let this deter me from hiking Dog Mountain again it is a beautiful place. Also, on our last hike, I saw more litter than all the other times we’ve done this trail — we tried picking up as much as we could on our way down… PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES AND YOUR DOGS AND TAKE THEIR SH*T BAGS DOWN WITH YOU DON’T JUST TOSS THEM ON THE SIDE OF THE TRAIL!!! If you bring something up the trail, bring it back down with you please!!!!!!

Also, make sure you bring tick repellents during spring/summer/autumn months! make sure your dogs have some sort of protection from ticks!!!!!

Kicked my backside but it was worth it. Steep incline nearly the entire way to the top, but man, that view. Clouds hanging over some of the mountains robbed us of the full view but we'll be back to try again.

I was happy to finally to made this hike happen on the 4th of July before work. This hike was absolutely one of my favorites in the gorge and recommend anyone to try it!

We got there early in the morning and there was hardly anyone there; which I hear is very rare to not come across a packed parking lot or have to get a permit to hike the trail. We brought a lunch, a jacket just in case, and made it up there in 3 hours or less.

Beautiful views along the way and the last mile can be a little steep, so get ready for a workout at that point. It was a little windy out there when we went, so I also recommend a jacket or something warm. The hike down is super easy and there are two ways to choose going up or down the path.

Hard!! need good shoe

Great trail. The wild flowers are a wonderful reward for all the hard work to get to the top of the mountain. Amazing views.

A great hike but not for the occasional hiker. You'll be gaining almost 1,000 ft per mile. After the first 0.6th of a mile the trail divides and you're given two choices: "difficult" to the right and "more difficult" to the left. Chose wisely.

Great hike. Took my amazing 9 yo with and he killed. Not a single complaint. The top is windy but there are trees if you want to hide from the elements, it just hides the views at the same time. I can't imagine how it would look during peak wildflower season. The views were incredible!

Awesome hike. Started around 7:45am. Was probably about the 8th person in the Lot. Make sure you pay for parking - $5.

Steep incline to start , remained consistent. Poked out to a gorgeous vista but wasn’t even half way there. Hard hike is true to be sure.

Eventually came out of woods to open views as you get closer. More gorgeous. Flowers past season.
Took the difficult route vs. more difficult. Was good idea as it was indeed difficult!

Started in a tee and at the top was in full blown jacket - was chilly as it was super super windy! Ate a bit behind some trees protected from wind.

Loads of spots to take in the gorge . You are at a high point on this hike. Make sure you look up and take it all in.

Will return earlier in the spring .

Went into Carson to the backwoods brew pub afterwards - awesome . Order a pizza . Over the top.

Went the more difficult way. My body hurt like hell when I was finally done with the whole hike but SO worth the views.

Very strenuous but worth it! Amazing views. The “more difficult” route is very steep pretty much the entire way so bring lots of water. Not for beginners or the faint of heart! Overall a beautiful and challenging hike.

Seriously hard as hell. Haha so beautiful though, amazing views. I would recommend doing the difficult way rather than more difficult. Were not the fastest hikers so it took me and my friends about 4 hours total going the more difficult route up and the difficult route down. Bring ibuprofen because your knees will be sore! Overall super fun and a great challenge.

I hike frequently and normally enjoy steep climbs, so trust all the reviews that this one is not for the faint of heart (or knees)! The way up involved lots of deep breathing and sweating, and the way down was very hard on the knees. It’s a beautiful view at the top, but also very windy so bring some layers!

Nice hike, about 2/3 under trees, "Difficult" as rated. Lots of rolling stones under foot at higher elevation. Poles were useful and I recommended from peek back down trail near the top. Steep switchbacks. Bring water. Can be very crowded; the Oregon side of Gorge hiking mostly shut down due to recent fires. Very windy (20-35) at the top, incredible views, lots of flowering plants. Started late noon, reached peek and continued out loop by way of Augspurger trail: 2.43 miles out and back, 2,173 ascent, total time 1:29. 15 lb pack. Partner hiker always smiling. 2 1/2 yr dog loved it. Rest room at Trailhead only. Suggest mid week if you can as hikers are literally bussed in on the weekends ='s crowded.

01/20/2018
Fun, popular trail. Harder than you might think, especially at the beginning. Also, the parking lot can fill up. Plus, you have to pay for parking. Lastly, this trail can get very crowded. That being said, it has great viewpoints, a spacious summit, wildflowers, and it's wide enough for people to walk side by side. Great trail when it's not peak season, or if you can get out there on a weekday.

was an amazing hike. Beautiful scenery

Very busy trail. I hiked this a couple days ago (on a Wednesday around 1130) and the parking lot was full. The wildflowers are on their way out, but still a beautiful hike. I could see the tip of Mt Hood over the ridge and St Helens at the top (it was a very clear day). I also agree with previous reviews that it's easier than Kings Mountain in Tillamook. Go early, take your time and have fun!

This was a great intense workout! The mountain views are fantastic! It was cold & windy at the top!

Beautiful hike!! Totally worth doing the more difficult trail if you are an avid hiker. The top is gorgeous but it is windy and cold. Bring layers. We went on a weekday and the parking wasn’t terrible. Amazing views!

Make sure you get a permit! They are serious about it. When I went a few weeks ago on a Sunday they had rangers at the base of the trail. The effort to get a permit is worth it though! Amazing wildflowers and views. Bring layers for the top and lots of water.