Dog Mountain Trail

Dog Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Home Valley, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A straight and steady leg-burner of a hike with some nice payoff up-top.

Great hike. If taking dogs be warned ticks are out in full force. Pulled about 20 ticks off my two dogs and they are regularly treated. Super windy and cold at top but views were amazing like always.

My heels never touched the ground.... be prepared to sweat! Awesome!

Loved this hike. It did have some steep inclines but nothing I couldn’t do, I did end up getting a stick to help my legs. Once we got to the very top we had amazing views but unfortunately the wind was blowing so hard and it was making us so cold we couldn’t stay for long. Coming back down wasn’t as challenging as I expected but it did wear on my knees. Next time I will at least have a snack at the top to fuel my descend.

Be sure to bring a jacket, gloves and something to cover your ears the wind was crazy cold.

Oh and it was a beautiful February day with no rain and the sun was shining

Loved it.

A little icy towards the top but not too bad. A little rime on the weeds and trees but not enough to make any worthwhile photos; maybe next week! Still a good workout though.

Beautiful hike. Went up the “more difficult” trail and back down on the Augspurger trail. Trails iced over in spots, especially on Augspurger.

Very steep, excellently maintained trail. Snow is building near the summit and trail is muddy in places. Beautiful hike.

Any season, this hike is great.

Very cold and windy on top, wear windproof clothing with hat and face protection. Microspikes would have been helpful, also. It's a straight up climb and a knee buster coming down. Trekking poles were a must for me.

This is defiantly a hard hike! Ass kicker the whole way up but so worth it. Amazing views but it was COLD at the top. Snow on the trees and hard wind blowing this time of year.

Difficult, a challenge, but really worth the view and experience. Hurt my legs coming down just wear good hiking shoes

Hard on the knees coming down. Great views up top.

Best in the Spring. The balsam Root flowers blanket the hill sides. We saw over 30 different varieties of wildflowers in June. Make sure you take a jacket for the top. It's windy and chilly.

Incredible views from the summit, well worth the strenuous hike. Hiking poles recommended, it is a steep climb the entire hike.

Left at the fork for an easier route, right for a tougher for one.

Great hike. Steep but worth the views. No wildflowers right now but lots of little snakes, lizards and ground squirrels.
Bring lots of water, good boots and hiking poles are recommended.
Need to be in shape for this hike as it is strenuous.

The wildflowers where in full force when my partner and I went up in June. One of my favorite hikes in the Portland Metro area. Heavily trafficked so be prepared to share your experience but well worth it.

Great views for such a short hike.

Extremely steep hike and hard on my legs but the view was well worth it! Definitely will be back soon!

Second time doing Dog Mt. as a trainer for an Adams summit in a few weeks (been roaming between steep trails in the gorge). The first time really winded me, but going around again it was much easier and I was up and down in 2:45.

The top, while nicer views at this time of the year (no clouds) unfortunately didn't have the wildflowers of early June.

Start early or on a weekday to avoid the crowds, and for a bigger challenge take the steep route (to your left at the fork) about 1 mile in.