Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail

Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,834 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

A great way to do Dog Mountain (a little longer, but worth it). The trail is in fantastic condition. The most spectacular wildflower meadows of the Columbia Gorge drape the alp-like slopes of Dog Mountain, north of the Columbia River in Washington. in May and June these hills are alive yellow balsamrot, red paintbrush and blue lupine. Even flowerless seasons provide breathtaking views of the Columbia Gorge. Such beauty has made the steep climb popular, but with three trails to the top, you can choose your route. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. Permits are not available at the trailhead but can be purchased online. You can also save the parking challenge and take the shuttle from Skamania County Fairgrounds on the weekends for $2.00 and this includes your day pass to hike. $5/vehicle/day at Dog Mountain Trailhead

As an experienced hiker, this trail was definitely challenging! Completed today (Thursday 9/5) in under 4 hrs with many breaks due to my dog, heat and well...the incline. Views were definitely worth it even for it being considered its off season. Arrived at the parking lot at 9 am amd only 3 other cars, very quiet day on this trail. Very dry and rocky, wish I took my Trek piles. Did the most difficult trail up and caught the lesser on the descent. However, the heat was picking up so the partial shade was a drawback. Just moved to Oregon and this was on my radar last year while on vacation. While I'm sure it's spectacular during wildflow season, I can't imagine I'll want to tackle this again.

great hike. two hours up, and two hours down.

One of the best trail!

Fantastic! I didn’t end up doing the long trail; ran out of daylight

Great hike. Definitely hard....mostly up hill. Coming down can be hard on the knees. Brought our small dog and she did fine. She definitely needed a few water breaks and snacks. A few overgrown areas, but not bad. Would definitely do it again!

I did this hike about a year ago with an exchange student from Germany who was like 7 percent body fat. I was panting within the first 10 minutes, but he was fine the whole way up. I definitely wasn’t prepared for this hike, but I’m so glad I completed this hike. This hike is completely uphill with very little flat ground until you reach the summit. I would recommend this hike to anyone because it’s a great challenge and the view from the top is very beautiful. The trailhead is marked very well and when I went we got there around 9 in the morning. The parking lot had at least 10-15 cars but when we got on the trail we didn’t see or pass anyone until the top, which I really liked. Bring lots of water, snacks, and a good pair of hiking boots for this trail.

BEAR sighting! Hiked up Augspurger Sunday (06/09) early evening to avoid crowds. At the last switchback I heard a loud rustling. Assumed it was a deer or coyote until it stood up and faced me. Couldn’t believe it was a black bear! He stared at me and sniffed the air for a long while, so I decided to turn around instead of aggravating him by crossing his path again when I looped around the last switchback, since he headed in that direction. Some black bears startle, but he didn’t. Glad I had my bear spray, out and ready! It was pretty thrilling but a good reminder that it truly is wild deep in those woods, even just 1/2 mile away from such big crowds on Dog Mtn.

this was a very fun and HARD hike! Take plenty of water and many breaks as needed. I will take this hike again. Trail parking was not horrible this past weekend but we still took the shuttle that is (2$ round trip with a bracelet) and there was plenty of signs to help you get to the shuttle. Enjoy this hike

recorded Dog Mountain Trail

Dogs allowed, sometimes have rattlesnakes. Did difficult trail up and easy trail down. Wildflowers past their prime but still really pretty. Windy and misty at top- really chilly. Parking lot not full at 8:40.

Did this trail Thursday May 23rd. Arrived at 7am and there were plenty of parking spots, make sure you have the Northwest pass or have $5 to place in the envelope at the trail head. Weather was the best one can ask for, clear skies - we were able to see Mt. Helen and Mt. Hood. Flowers - the sea of flower that must be seen (pictures don't do it justice). Trail is difficult but doable, it is well maintained and only in spots was muddy. Views are to die for!!! Every where you look is amazing. Columbia River, mountains, blue skies and mountain hills painted yellow...!!!

Best hike for wild flowers

Beautiful amazing hike in peak wildflower season! Went up Dog Mountain and came down Ausperger, would definitely recommend! My knees appreciated it!

This is my favorite hike in the Columbia Gorge. While the crowds are getting bigger each year, if you get there early enough...you can have quite a bit of quiet time on the trail. It’s a tough hike that’ll leave you with throbbing legs over the following days. If you can get there at just right time of spring, you’ll be rewarded with the most beautiful mountain full of bright-yellow balsam root flowers. Bring plenty of water, pace yourself, and keep an eye out for Colleen the wild turkey.

cam here a couple of weeks ago and there were flowers but not all bloomed yet.

Wildflowers aren’t at peak yet, but plenty enough to make it worth your while. This is my second time doing this hike and I recommend this loop rather than up and back down the dog mountain trail as you will definitely hit less traffic since the trail is hoppin this time of year. Bring plenty of water since a lot of the trail is in direct sunlight. A picnic at the top would be freakin awesome!

Challenging hike but worth the view at the top. Very steep in some places. Sunny and gorgeous today but was very windy at chilly at the top. Amazing wildflower this time of year, and when your reach the summit, continue on a smaller trail into the trees and you'll be rewarded with a tiny forest of Trillium flowers! Never seen so many trilliums in one area. Saw a wild turkey grazing in a meadow on the way and on the way back down:) I got to the parking lot at 8:30 am and the lot was about 1/3 full. Finished my hike at 12:15 and the lot was full, so go early.

We took the longer loop for this hike and it was a mistake starting at 7:00am. We were up near the top and we almost got blown away and the rain was pelting our face! There was not much of a view due to the clouds and the fog but the little glimpses that we got were spectacular! The hike was tough and a steady leg and calf burner for sure! Definitely one of my favorite hikes!!

I’m sure this place is great during wildflower season. Went up last week. Lots of snow on the back side, and the view is above average. Tons of people even at this time of year. Makes me think it’s not worth the crowds even when the weather and time of year iS right. Overrated by far. Do table mountain if you want a better view that’s less packed

Monday, September 03, 2018

The hike was indeed difficult but also beautiful! Just ask our two huskies who are both super tuckered out. I was very surprised by the amount of poison oak on the sides of the trail. Hoping we avoided it well enough. We are hoping to come back in the spring for the wild flowers!

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Busy on the wrong day, dead on the right.

Thursday, August 02, 2018

Got there around 6 am and was the only person in the lot so I did get to enjoy the hike without seeing anyone else which was cool. However! This hike is pretty intense but for what feels like no payoff. For almost all of the hike you’re in a basic forest setting and that’s all you see. You’re teased with one view of the gorge before you head back into the forest and do about 1.5 more miles before the view opens up again. In my opinion there are hikes very close to here with MUCH better views that are less crowded, still a workout, and more rewarding.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Chose the “more difficult” route, aka the long loop. This route had almost zero switchbacks and was a constant steep incline in a beautiful wooded area. Definitely a quad burner. It was 95 degrees today, so the tree coverage was greatly appreciated. I’d love to see this hike in spring, when the wildflowers are freshly bloomed.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

This longer loop is absolutely worth it. I would highly recommend getting to the parking area early, since it fills up quite quickly. The elevation is high and windy at the top, so be sure to bring layers. Footwear is key on this trek as well, since many of the upper switchbacks get quite steep. Also be advised, that day-use fees are not obligatory throughout weekdays. Overall, this is definitely one of the best hikes to compliment the fewer trails available to explore with the closed Oregon-side trails.

Saturday, June 02, 2018

Hike on 6/1/18 and it was breathtaking. Definitely on the hard side. But so worth it. Wild flowers everywhere! Bring a jacket for the top! Coming down was hard on the knees for me I need poles, lots of people had them. Parking is very limited so get there early!

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Hiked 03/30/18. I recorded a loop system I am calling "Dog Chases Tail" which utilizes the entire trail system on Dog Mountain. It was a good work out, but I think the next time I will ascend and descend counter-clockwise to record the differences. Rant Note: If you take the time to bring toilet paper on a hike, please also bring a way for you to comfortably pack your garbage back out with you. Orange peels, toilet paper, sunflower seed hulls and dog poop bags are garbage and don't belong on Dog Mountain. They belong in a trash can.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Hiked on 01/14/18. Did the whole loop after dark.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

One of my favourites! Being in shape is a must for this one because it kicks your butt. Getting in that extra cardio in the gym to prep will have you thanking yourself ¼ of the way up! We went mid November so there was snow & slush for the last 15 minutes to the summit. Coming down that was a challenge & the view was non-existent since it was so foggy out but the viewpoint at ¾ was worth it!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Mothers day hike to die for. Must be in shape. ❤️