Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail

Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great way to do Dog Mountain (a little longer, but worth it). The trail is in fantastic condition. The most spectacular wildflower meadows of the Columbia Gorge drape the alp-like slopes of Dog Mountain, north of the Columbia River in Washington. in May and June these hills are alive yellow balsamrot, red paintbrush and blue lupine. Even flowerless seasons provide breathtaking views of the Columbia Gorge. Such beauty has made the steep climb popular, but with three trails to the top, you can choose your route.

Hiked on 01/14/18. Night hike.

One of my favourites! Being in shape is a must for this one because it kicks your butt. Getting in that extra cardio in the gym to prep will have you thanking yourself ¼ of the way up! We went mid November so there was snow & slush for the last 15 minutes to the summit. Coming down that was a challenge & the view was non-existent since it was so foggy out but the viewpoint at ¾ was worth it!

Mothers day hike to die for. Must be in shape. ❤️

At the first junction take a right for steep incline straight to the summit, or left for a more gradual incline up the side of the mountain. The old trail that goes past the summit is extremely overgrown.

Too windy at the top, view is alright, mount hood was in the way, and the river wasn't flowy enough. There weren't enough trees and there were too many trees. When I got to the top i could see multiple cities. They suck. I expected a paved trail

Beautiful, and somewhat challenging, hike! The views are great and the wildflowers were INCREDIBLE when in bloom. The hike is exposed to the sun for a good chunk and my dog and I were over the heat. The parking is also a mess because it does get so crowded. I had to park over half a mile away on the side of the road, which took me about 30 minutes to find, so get there early!

Completed on 5/27: Tough hike, beautiful views, and great to start early. Hit the trail at 5 am, didn't see a single person until the top. However, the hike down was awful. Mobbed with visitors who don't know how to share a trail. Multiple times I had to stop off the trail to see swarms of unexperienced hikers past. Other times hikers would run right in to me. Very strange. DO not recommend on weekends unless you're doing dawn patrol

Insanely, ridiculously crowded. Copious traffic on the trail, with users not following good trail etiquette. Worse today than I've ever seen it in years. About like Multnomah Falls. I'd avoid this good training hike until a weekday, if at all.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Hiked this back in September for a conditioning hike for scouts. Weather was horrible but over level 2 fun, definitely will hike it again on a nice day to enjoy the views.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Extremely challenging (and awesome) hike, not for those with a fear of heights. There are many places along the trail with very steep drop offs. Keep your dog on a leash! The views are incredible! The wind was also incredible at the top, so bring an extra layer to throw on once you get up there so that you can stay a while and enjoy the views.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Only had a clear view from puppy lookout but still a beautiful hike. Went up Dog and was able to run most of the way down Aug.

Friday, June 24, 2016

We hiked this 5/29/16 . The views of the wildflowers are absolutely spectacular on top! My husband & I are fairly new to this type of hiking & we found even the easy route was challenging due to incline. Hiking down was harder than hiking up on the knees so if you have trekking poles bring them , you won't be sorry

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Very difficult, but worth the effort! Missed the flowers though (but that's my own fault). Spectacular views at the top.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

If you are looking for something a step up from Angel's Rest, this is the hike for you. We went up Augsperger trail and then down Dog Mountain trail. I would recommend that over just Dog Mountain up and down if you are looking to get a little more privacy and quiet. Be prepared for odd weather. It was fairly clear down below but above roughly 1500' we were in fog with medium wind and the temperature dropped roughly 20 degrees I would guess. Beautiful hike and the wildflowers were in full bloom.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Decent trail, i can get quite windy up on top of dog mountain. The views are fantastic

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Very hard, took me three hours to go up in one hour to come down. that's just to put it in perspective. Would definitely say this is a hard, not intermediate hike. The view was absolutely amazing, felt like I was on a different planet!!

Monday, May 09, 2016

Don't go for a sunrise hike like so many people I saw, you CANNOT see the sun rising from any of the peaks on any of the trails near Dog Mountain. The best time to go is in the afternoon and sunset right (Early May 2016). I just went on the 6th and all of the wild flowers are in full bloom, entire mountain side is covered in yellow, orange, purple, and white flowers everywhere! If you can stay for golden hour (right before sunset) you'll get an incredible shot of the sun blazing orange lit sun hitting the yellow flowers facing west.

Go now

Monday, May 02, 2016

This hike is well worth the effort! The views and flowers in spring are marvelous! It would be 5 stars if it wasn't for the bugs! Be sure to spray yourself well before heading up.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I took the long way but it was worth it. Still have to run down the mountain though. The trails are steep on the decent.

Friday, January 22, 2016

It was beautiful, I went the short way to watch the sunrise in early morning. Cold but worth it.