Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail

Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great way to do Dog Mountain (a little longer, but worth it). The trail is in fantastic condition. The most spectacular wildflower meadows of the Columbia Gorge drape the alp-like slopes of Dog Mountain, north of the Columbia River in Washington. in May and June these hills are alive yellow balsamrot, red paintbrush and blue lupine. Even flowerless seasons provide breathtaking views of the Columbia Gorge. Such beauty has made the steep climb popular, but with three trails to the top, you can choose your route.

Hiked 03/30/18. Since Mount Defiance is still closed from the Eagle Creek Fire, I have searched for a route to kick-start conditioning for longer trips that are part of this summer's plans. I recorded a loop system I am calling "Dog Chases Tail" which utilizes the entire trail system on Dog Mountain. It was a good work out, but I think the next time I will ascend and descend counter-clockwise to record the differences.

Rant Note:
If you take the time to bring toilet paper on a hike, please also bring a way for you to comfortably pack your garbage back out with you.

Orange peels, toilet paper, sunflower seed hulls and dog poop bags are garbage and don't belong on Dog Mountain. They belong in a trash can.

Hiked on 01/14/18. Did the whole loop after dark.

One of my favourites! Being in shape is a must for this one because it kicks your butt. Getting in that extra cardio in the gym to prep will have you thanking yourself ¼ of the way up! We went mid November so there was snow & slush for the last 15 minutes to the summit. Coming down that was a challenge & the view was non-existent since it was so foggy out but the viewpoint at ¾ was worth it!

Mothers day hike to die for. Must be in shape. ❤️

At the first junction take a right for steep incline straight to the summit, or left for a more gradual incline up the side of the mountain. The old trail that goes past the summit is extremely overgrown.

Too windy at the top, view is alright, mount hood was in the way, and the river wasn't flowy enough. There weren't enough trees and there were too many trees. When I got to the top i could see multiple cities. They suck. I expected a paved trail

Beautiful, and somewhat challenging, hike! The views are great and the wildflowers were INCREDIBLE when in bloom. The hike is exposed to the sun for a good chunk and my dog and I were over the heat. The parking is also a mess because it does get so crowded. I had to park over half a mile away on the side of the road, which took me about 30 minutes to find, so get there early!

Completed on 5/27: Tough hike, beautiful views, and great to start early. Hit the trail at 5 am, didn't see a single person until the top. However, the hike down was awful. Mobbed with visitors who don't know how to share a trail. Multiple times I had to stop off the trail to see swarms of unexperienced hikers past. Other times hikers would run right in to me. Very strange. DO not recommend on weekends unless you're doing dawn patrol

Insanely, ridiculously crowded. Copious traffic on the trail, with users not following good trail etiquette. Worse today than I've ever seen it in years. About like Multnomah Falls. I'd avoid this good training hike until a weekday, if at all.

Monday, March 27, 2017

03/20/17 Trail was in fairly good shape considering how hard the winter as been on the CRG. Snow was still on the summit and patches along the descent. Good first hike of the season.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Hiked this back in September for a conditioning hike for scouts. Weather was horrible but over level 2 fun, definitely will hike it again on a nice day to enjoy the views.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Extremely challenging (and awesome) hike, not for those with a fear of heights. There are many places along the trail with very steep drop offs. Keep your dog on a leash! The views are incredible! The wind was also incredible at the top, so bring an extra layer to throw on once you get up there so that you can stay a while and enjoy the views.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Only had a clear view from puppy lookout but still a beautiful hike. Went up Dog and was able to run most of the way down Aug.

Friday, June 24, 2016

We hiked this 5/29/16 . The views of the wildflowers are absolutely spectacular on top! My husband & I are fairly new to this type of hiking & we found even the easy route was challenging due to incline. Hiking down was harder than hiking up on the knees so if you have trekking poles bring them , you won't be sorry

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Very difficult, but worth the effort! Missed the flowers though (but that's my own fault). Spectacular views at the top.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

If you are looking for something a step up from Angel's Rest, this is the hike for you. We went up Augsperger trail and then down Dog Mountain trail. I would recommend that over just Dog Mountain up and down if you are looking to get a little more privacy and quiet. Be prepared for odd weather. It was fairly clear down below but above roughly 1500' we were in fog with medium wind and the temperature dropped roughly 20 degrees I would guess. Beautiful hike and the wildflowers were in full bloom.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Decent trail, i can get quite windy up on top of dog mountain. The views are fantastic

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Very hard, took me three hours to go up in one hour to come down. that's just to put it in perspective. Would definitely say this is a hard, not intermediate hike. The view was absolutely amazing, felt like I was on a different planet!!

Monday, May 09, 2016

Don't go for a sunrise hike like so many people I saw, you CANNOT see the sun rising from any of the peaks on any of the trails near Dog Mountain. The best time to go is in the afternoon and sunset right (Early May 2016). I just went on the 6th and all of the wild flowers are in full bloom, entire mountain side is covered in yellow, orange, purple, and white flowers everywhere! If you can stay for golden hour (right before sunset) you'll get an incredible shot of the sun blazing orange lit sun hitting the yellow flowers facing west.

Go now

Monday, May 02, 2016

This hike is well worth the effort! The views and flowers in spring are marvelous! It would be 5 stars if it wasn't for the bugs! Be sure to spray yourself well before heading up.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I took the long way but it was worth it. Still have to run down the mountain though. The trails are steep on the decent.

Friday, January 22, 2016

It was beautiful, I went the short way to watch the sunrise in early morning. Cold but worth it.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

A fairly tough climb. Best done in spring when the flowers are in bloom!

Friday, October 16, 2015

Great trail with awesome views. Did this hike just the other day so no wildflowers but the autumn color in the trees and shrubbery is starting to debut. I would guess that within the next couple weeks the autumn leaves will look amazing. The ascent is no joke though, I'm in very good shape and this was challenging for my calves, not recommended for those not in good shape. Coming down Auspburger Trail is much kinder on your knees however there are still a few patches of old rock slides covering the trail that I like to call "ankle breakers" so just be aware of that. I was fine but my older father had a more tough time crossing those sections. I'd like to hike this when there are wildflowers but I don't like sharing trails with throngs of people so maybe I won't. I hear it gets super crowded and congested during the summer when the wildflowers are in bloom.

Monday, June 08, 2015

Just completed this hike, but we hike down via the middle (more difficult) trail, and boy what a workout. I do not like hiking down and this was the toughest I did as far as hiking down, the relentless descent just almost killed my knees. However, the view at the summit was a wonderful and very worth it reward. I'd say, I will do it again, and gonna try to do the red trail up and hike down via Ausperger trail.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

This one is a great workout. Take an extra shirt to change into once at the top because you'll soak the one you're wearing with sweat. The top was windy, cloudy and cold but the views are incredible. Hillsides with wild flowers and the gorge as far as you can see in both directions. This is a loop, so the hike down was pretty muddy and slippery in spots due to earlier rain.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Dog Mountain, where your options are "Difficult" or "More Difficult". I like hikes that make me sore the days following. A must-see during wold flower season.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Starting out at Augsperger trailhead (about 100 meters west of the dog mountain trailhead) and looping around to Dog Mountain is a much better way to do Dog Mountain (a clockwise loop). It's much more pleasant and scenic than the straight up-the-gut lasso of Dog Mountain (when coming-down, take the east side of the Dog Mountain Lasso for a few more views.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

great hike. my legs feel it. great view. just watch out for ticks...the dogs were covered in them

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Very fun hike! Just went on January 20th, 2013. Ran into ice/snow.