Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(223)
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area

Dog Mountain Long Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,834 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

fee

Users have reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. A great way to do Dog Mountain (a little longer, but worth it). The trail is in fantastic condition. The most spectacular wildflower meadows of the Columbia Gorge drape the alp-like slopes of Dog Mountain, north of the Columbia River in Washington. in May and June these hills are alive yellow balsamrot, red paintbrush and blue lupine. Even flowerless seasons provide breathtaking views of the Columbia Gorge. Such beauty has made the steep climb popular, but with three trails to the top, you can choose your route. Permits are required on Saturdays & Sundays March 31 - July 1 for each individual hiker. Permits are not available at the trailhead but can be purchased online. You can also save the parking challenge and take the shuttle from Skamania County Fairgrounds on the weekends for $2.00 and this includes your day pass to hike. $5/vehicle/day at Dog Mountain Trailhead

Trail is currently closed due to Covid 19

Short and sweet pump. Pick your day, crowds can be contagious. Take the long way home and stretch out those quads you nuked on the way up!

private property

icy

Bring sticks for the icy part! Great hike

what an amazing, if steep, trail to see such an incredible forest. I can never get tired of these trees on the trail. then the view by puppy point was just great. so many more shadows from the lower sun angle. a very different look and feel than the summer time.

fee

for a trail run go counterclockwise. descent more runnable on the west side though there a bunch of patches of scree

As an experienced hiker, this trail was definitely challenging! Completed today (Thursday 9/5) in under 4 hrs with many breaks due to my dog, heat and well...the incline. Views were definitely worth it even for it being considered its off season. Arrived at the parking lot at 9 am amd only 3 other cars, very quiet day on this trail. Very dry and rocky, wish I took my Trek piles. Did the most difficult trail up and caught the lesser on the descent. However, the heat was picking up so the partial shade was a drawback. Just moved to Oregon and this was on my radar last year while on vacation. While I'm sure it's spectacular during wildflow season, I can't imagine I'll want to tackle this again.

great hike. two hours up, and two hours down.

One of the best trail!

Fantastic! I didn’t end up doing the long trail; ran out of daylight

Great hike. Definitely hard....mostly up hill. Coming down can be hard on the knees. Brought our small dog and she did fine. She definitely needed a few water breaks and snacks. A few overgrown areas, but not bad. Would definitely do it again!

I did this hike about a year ago with an exchange student from Germany who was like 7 percent body fat. I was panting within the first 10 minutes, but he was fine the whole way up. I definitely wasn’t prepared for this hike, but I’m so glad I completed this hike. This hike is completely uphill with very little flat ground until you reach the summit. I would recommend this hike to anyone because it’s a great challenge and the view from the top is very beautiful. The trailhead is marked very well and when I went we got there around 9 in the morning. The parking lot had at least 10-15 cars but when we got on the trail we didn’t see or pass anyone until the top, which I really liked. Bring lots of water, snacks, and a good pair of hiking boots for this trail.

BEAR sighting! Hiked up Augspurger Sunday (06/09) early evening to avoid crowds. At the last switchback I heard a loud rustling. Assumed it was a deer or coyote until it stood up and faced me. Couldn’t believe it was a black bear! He stared at me and sniffed the air for a long while, so I decided to turn around instead of aggravating him by crossing his path again when I looped around the last switchback, since he headed in that direction. Some black bears startle, but he didn’t. Glad I had my bear spray, out and ready! It was pretty thrilling but a good reminder that it truly is wild deep in those woods, even just 1/2 mile away from such big crowds on Dog Mtn.

this was a very fun and HARD hike! Take plenty of water and many breaks as needed. I will take this hike again. Trail parking was not horrible this past weekend but we still took the shuttle that is (2$ round trip with a bracelet) and there was plenty of signs to help you get to the shuttle. Enjoy this hike

recorded Dog Mountain Trail

Dogs allowed, sometimes have rattlesnakes. Did difficult trail up and easy trail down. Wildflowers past their prime but still really pretty. Windy and misty at top- really chilly. Parking lot not full at 8:40.

Fri May 24 2019

Did this trail Thursday May 23rd. Arrived at 7am and there were plenty of parking spots, make sure you have the Northwest pass or have $5 to place in the envelope at the trail head. Weather was the best one can ask for, clear skies - we were able to see Mt. Helen and Mt. Hood. Flowers - the sea of flower that must be seen (pictures don't do it justice). Trail is difficult but doable, it is well maintained and only in spots was muddy. Views are to die for!!! Every where you look is amazing. Columbia River, mountains, blue skies and mountain hills painted yellow...!!!

Thu May 23 2019

Best hike for wild flowers

Mon May 13 2019

Beautiful amazing hike in peak wildflower season! Went up Dog Mountain and came down Ausperger, would definitely recommend! My knees appreciated it!

Sun May 12 2019

This is my favorite hike in the Columbia Gorge. While the crowds are getting bigger each year, if you get there early enough...you can have quite a bit of quiet time on the trail. It’s a tough hike that’ll leave you with throbbing legs over the following days. If you can get there at just right time of spring, you’ll be rewarded with the most beautiful mountain full of bright-yellow balsam root flowers. Bring plenty of water, pace yourself, and keep an eye out for Colleen the wild turkey.

Sat May 11 2019

cam here a couple of weeks ago and there were flowers but not all bloomed yet.

Fri May 10 2019

Wildflowers aren’t at peak yet, but plenty enough to make it worth your while. This is my second time doing this hike and I recommend this loop rather than up and back down the dog mountain trail as you will definitely hit less traffic since the trail is hoppin this time of year. Bring plenty of water since a lot of the trail is in direct sunlight. A picnic at the top would be freakin awesome!

Fri May 03 2019

Challenging hike but worth the view at the top. Very steep in some places. Sunny and gorgeous today but was very windy at chilly at the top. Amazing wildflower this time of year, and when your reach the summit, continue on a smaller trail into the trees and you'll be rewarded with a tiny forest of Trillium flowers! Never seen so many trilliums in one area. Saw a wild turkey grazing in a meadow on the way and on the way back down:) I got to the parking lot at 8:30 am and the lot was about 1/3 full. Finished my hike at 12:15 and the lot was full, so go early.

Sat Apr 27 2019

We took the longer loop for this hike and it was a mistake starting at 7:00am. We were up near the top and we almost got blown away and the rain was pelting our face! There was not much of a view due to the clouds and the fog but the little glimpses that we got were spectacular! The hike was tough and a steady leg and calf burner for sure! Definitely one of my favorite hikes!!

Sun Mar 31 2019

I’m sure this place is great during wildflower season. Went up last week. Lots of snow on the back side, and the view is above average. Tons of people even at this time of year. Makes me think it’s not worth the crowds even when the weather and time of year iS right. Overrated by far. Do table mountain if you want a better view that’s less packed