New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Dog Lake to Cramer Lake Trail

Dog Lake to Cramer Lake Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,020 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Say, just wanted to help a few people who gave a review of Cramer Lake just being a field of grass. I checked out your upload recording and you all just went past Cramer Lake and ended up in the open field just past the Lake. Cramer Lake is a huge lake that is good for fishing and has been a family favorite for 20 plus years. Just a quick heads up, Otter Lake is extremely shallow like 1-2" deep and is a Mosquito breeding ground. Thanks for the reviews on the trail conditions!

bridge out

This is an interesting hike in the fall. Cramer lake is just a field of weeds but if you continue right at the fork after the lake it takes you about 1/4 mile to Otter lake which is beautiful. It was frozen and snow covered but still worth the hike. This is probably even more beautiful in the summer.

Decent hike for the first snow of the season. Spotted a mountain lion and two large cubs around the 2 mile mark. I spooked them and they ran off, but they surprised me and I nearly had a heart attack. Light snow fell the whole time. Wind picked up a little on my way back, but not too bad. All in all, not a bad day. 4-5 seconds of glimpsing 3 cougars was definitely the highlight.

good little hike, but heavily used. Got up to the lake and there were several people camped out. passed several more on the way down.

bridge out

I would not do this hike again. There are a LOT of flies because there is a literal ton of horse poop on this Trail. A lot of the trail is only one foot wide, overgrown in places and a lot of down trees. I was forced to take a couple of detours due to very large trees blocking and there is nowhere to cross the creek or if there is, it is under water, but you have to cross to continue on the trail. I had to carry my two dogs across two logs that had fallen over the creek, so not for the faint of heart. There is no lake at Cramer Lake, so a long hike for a disappointing view.

Wonderful scenery and very quiet. Didn't see anyone once we left the Dog Lake Campsite.

Bugs, bugs, bugs with a nice background. Lost trail at river crossing as well but also made it to the log to cross. Did 13.3 mile loop to pct. parking at dog lake camp ground is $5.

Great trail, did lose it twice once because there was a truck parked right in front of the trailhead and second when we forded the river (with the river go 100 feet farther down the trail and there is a nice log to keep your feet dry). Trail was in great condition. Very good run. Missed Cramer Lake the first go around because it is kind down and off to the right and we were running. Definitely would run it again but would recommend looping it into the PCT and turning it into a 11-13 mile loop if you have the endurance.

The trails where very nice well groomed. Along the way the mosquitoes were in full force make sure to pack some bug spray. Watch for all the horse droppings.

Super fun trail! Lots of mosquitoes in July - bring a bug net to wear while hiking if you can. We wished we had one. There are a couple of water crossings by walking over fallen trees (fun for us, maybe more difficult for others) Camped just past Cramer lake at Dumbbell lake, it was beautiful and quiet. Can’t wait to do the trail again!

Very well maintained trail. Most of it is in the green tunnel, so don't expect much of a view. Mosquitoes were out in force due to the recent snow melt. It should not be rated hard. This would make a fairly easy day hike.

closed

This looks like a great backpacking trail, unfortunately it’s covered in snow at the moment, totally doable with snowshoes. You start off at Dog-lake campground, I can’t tell if there’s room to park since the road is blocked off, will definitely be coming back in June to do this trail.

Sat Nov 10 2018

Awesome trail, though it’s buggy in July.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Great trail! The parking was a little difficult since the beginning is at campsite...we just parked along HWY 12 which worked out just fine. The trail is right in the forest and really provides a really great atmosphere. The trees are good protection from the sun and the path is easy to follow. Crossing the creek was a little iffy as there isn’t a bridge and we had to balance across a fallen tree. The water wasn’t too deep but deep enough that you don’t want to walk and then end up with wet socks and clothes the rest of your hike. We did not have any issues with mosquitos but there was a section where a horse passed us and brushed against and bush which then upset a bunch of hornets. We got attacked pretty good, but it was kind of a freak thing. I wouldn’t be too worried about it, just be aware. Beautiful hike and would do it again!

Tue Jul 10 2018

gorgeous! highly recommend

Thu Jun 28 2018

Love this hike...usually stay at Cramer lake but lots of options to camp further back along Dumbell lake or up towards the Pacific Crest trail is you really wanted. A bit of a steep hike up but worth. However Many many many people there once hunting season starts

Sat May 19 2018

We did this last week and the trail was 90% snow covered. We camped at dog lake on the only pad of dirt, and lake was still frozen. It was beautiful.

Mon Jul 03 2017

the hike was beautiful, however in July come prepared for a ton of mosquitos they are horrible, layer ip and a net fir your face will be your saving grace. The trail is at least 5 miles one way not 6.7 there and back as indicated in above discription. FYI.

Tue Jul 19 2016

It was a nice hike. The majority of it was uphill, with a lot of rocks and roots. Great views and smells. One downer were the mosquitoes. When ever we stopped moving they would swarm.

Sat Dec 12 2015

My wife and I went up the end of the 2nd weekend of October. Temperature was excellent, and once you make the rock falls, you can begin to see out over the terrain. Hike is only moderate, but it does climb most of the way in. The bridge is washed out and seems like it has been all summer and maybe longer. There is a trail developing to a fallen tree about 75 yards upstream from the bridge footings. Parking was no problem in October as the campsite had just one occupant. The William O. Douglas Wilderness boundary is just a half mile in or so, so we filed a permit at the trail head.

Sun Aug 30 2015

The trailhead is at a campsite, so parking is pretty limited. Well labeled trails throughout. This is a really soft dirt trail, no rocks, from lake to lake. Lots of options to take other trails also. It should definitely be classed as 'easy' it's really minimal incline. The lake is nice and quiet, great camping spot at the end of the lake. I didn't see any weirdos, just some young campers. The trees were rocking and talking -- super nice hike.

Sat May 31 2014

Hiked this trail with my hiking buddy Jason Tollefson two years ago. It was an awesome hike and was pretty easy compared to Round Mountain. Saw a couple wierdos up there but we always carry our peace makers (open carry) Go check out the pics he posted. I recommend this trail to a group of school kids or if you're trying to earn a scout's badge.