Dishman Hills Natural Area Trail

Dishman Hills Natural Area Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Spokane, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Very poorly marked trails. Thank goodness for cell phone location tracking because I ended up off the trail multiple times trying to figure out where to go.

Nice trail, easy to hike, however snow spikes are highly recommended in the winter. Nice view of the city. Conveniently located can get to even in a small car. No restrooms other than a pit toilet that is yucky. Definitely will hike again.

We went off the trail and got some priceless photos, it was amazing and not to hard as long as you take your time :)

Beautiful hike. Missing signage makes it hard to know if you’re on a trail or not

Great place to sneak in a quick hike. Easy to get off the main trail because of false trails or missing signage.

Pretty hike but very poorly marked, it was hard to figure out which trail to take especially in the snow. I had to track myself on the app so I wouldn’t get lost.

Nice easy hike! Had a quick picnic at the bench at the top. Good hike for the fur babies.

Great day for a hike! Only my second time hiking here. I forgot how convenient this spot is.

I love this place. Have come here frequently. Lots of different trails for hiking and exploring. There's not too many people because there's lots of trail options.

Mountain biking it's not that great but once you go real deep and get good and lost its pretty fun on a bike if you're willing to make your own path, then it's pretty interesting.

Good hike for so close to town. Trails are a bit convoluted, but none the less easily manageable.

I loved that there was a trail so close to the "city". It's a hidden gem and we had fun hiking with our dog. We got a little lost and had to trek a little ways back to the right trail but fun nonetheless.

We love this hike

Since I had already hiked the outer perimeter of the park today I made it my goal to fill in some of the inner trails. They were all enjoyable. Strangely enough, my favorite section was at the very end when I decided to go toward the northwest. The trails here are not on the map, but they are still within the park boundaries. This section has a lot of elevation change, and there are many rocky structures and ravines. A friend of mine said it was once a hot spot for "BMX" bikers.

I generally enjoyed this area. For being in the middle of the city, there are several unexpectedly cool features to explore. Wildflowers were still in season for me. The rock formations were curious, begging any young person to explore them. I resisted temptation and stuck to the trail. Counting all the intersecting trails that cut through the middle there are enough paths to fill a whole day of exploring. I just stuck to the largest possible perimeter loop and was happy to complete it before dark, considering I started after 6:00 p.m.

Very easy afternoon hike with my dog, but the trails aren't very well marked and we got a bit lost. Ended up behind some people's private residence. Watch out for broken glass, liter, etc. Didn't see any homeless or gang activity, but lots of tagging and obvious beer drinking going on up there.

Wonderful. Not too crowded, includes stairs and markers throughout. Very extensive system. Easy to get lost. Good in every season.

First time on the trail and was disappointed that there weren't more trail markers. I was hoping for markers to show me what's ahead and I could choose different trails. With that said, I will go back and explore!
Be prepared for the bugs!

Was a decent trail. Didn't know what part of trail we were on. Improved markers would be a nice addition.

I love hiking here but the trails aren't all well identified. We thought we were following the trail but ended up in a fenced in area at one end of the park. Still, it has great views of the city and there is a lot of wildlife.

Great views but horribly marked trails. You don't know what way to go as you make the loop.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Always love coming here.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Could be described as more of a trashed city park near the Appleway trailhead than a nature hike. The times that I've hiked around have been on the loops to the east of the nature area, where it connects with the 8th Street trailhead. This seems to be where there are usually transients and a lot of trash. I haven't taken the trail through the lodge that seems to venture more south.

Some parts of the trails are easy to make out but it's not a well groomed trail for, what I would consider, to be casual walking. I'm more of a "make my own trail" person, so the lack of groomed pathways doesn't bother me. It's not so bad that you couldn't find your way out again, especially being near a busy arterial.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Very pretty trail! We loved it and really enjoyed the views.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

NOT OPEN AT THIS TIME!
Only giving this a one star because it says it closes in November but I went there today and it was closed. Today is 9/20/2016. Just to give people a heads up.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Please note that this is my personal opinion and I don't intend to offend anyone as I know people all like different things, and I respect that. This hike was not what we expected, at all. It's literally right across the street from the Appleway Toyota dealership, the parking lot is across from the Appleway car lot. Prior to our arrival, we were under the impression that the hiking area would be located deeper into nature and not so close to the busy road, we were mistaken. Just a couple of things I would like to mention, especially if you have children, or you're hiking alone, there was a multitude of homeless people hanging out in different sections of the hiking area, and one person actually had a tent set up and everything. Just error on the side of caution, as you never know what people are capable of, and this area would make a great location for a hide out. Next thing, if you're taking your dog, or kids, be careful, we came across quite a substantive amount of broken glass, additionally you will find quite a bit of litter as well. The trails are not clearly marked, the trails we went on were actually pretty "steep" both going up and down, so this wouldn't be a good hike for someone with joint problems or if you're simply out of shape, as most of our hike was incline....granted I think we ventured off the beaten path multiple times, due to the trails not being clearly marked, and we came across an area in which appeared to be somebodies residence. In any case the route we went had a lot of incline hiking and also going down steep rocky areas. This leads me to my next point, we hiked down to a lower point between large rocks, it was quite pretty. However, I noticed a sign that had fallen down saying "beware of rattlesnakes," or something along those lines, and we thought this was very weird but in that area we saw a pair of little boys underwear on the ground, that was really the only secluded area of this hike so we found that unsettling and odd, as I think a lot of people would. There was also graffiti on the large rocks. If you like seclusion or solidarity during your hikes, this is NOT the location for you, unless of course you're used to the big city life, this may appear to be quite calm. When we got to one of the highest points, we did not have that sense of accomplishment or that beautiful view that you hope for when hiking, rather we saw the cars, we saw all the car dealerships and what not. You'll run into quite a bit of people as well. I think we came across only one dog who had a harness on, the other dogs we saw had no leash on or anything, so this is also something to watch out for. This was definitely not what we expected, I am able to find the beauty in nearly everything and there are some pretty parts to this "hike," but it's not at all secluded, tranquil, etc. I suppose if you wanted a quick dose of nature, this trail would suffice, however this is not for those people who want that nature hiking experience. I hope this helps some of you, I will also try to post some of the pictures I managed to take.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Not bad much better than the last time I was up there fairly easy trails good for kiddos or if you don't wanna travel far

Monday, June 20, 2016

Gorgeous.

We parked in large gravel lot off Appleway.
We took our 4 year olds on the Pine Cliff loop on our first visit. It was perfect. The trail offered enough varying terrain but not too strenuous for the littles. This loop was about 1 mile.

Somewhat well marked and just as we began to wonder about our location a sign would appear.
Our favorite part of this trail was the large rock cliffs, small caves, birdsong, the enchanted ravine and wildflowers. The park at the trailhead was a plus. Really nice open grassy area, picnic benches, bathrooms , drinking fountain and small kids play structure make it a nice place to spend the day.

Most of the trail was quite rocky but was well cleared of brush.

Benches throughout and at about the 3/4 mile mark there are a couple of north facing views of the valley.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Great for a generally easy hike with a lot of trails to select and change scenery with. Most are tracked well and it's fairly easy to get back on route if you wander off a bit

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Pleasant area with lots of different trails to get lost on.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Deep ravine has possible poison ivy.