Discovery Park and Lighthouse Loop Trail

Discovery Park and Lighthouse Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Seattle, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 472 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

The park provides an open space away from the stress and activity of the city, a sanctuary for wildlife, and an outdoor classroom for people to learn about the natural world. The park is also home to the Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center. Discovery Park is a 534 acre natural area park, located next to the peninsular Magnolia neighborhood in Seattle, and overlooking Puget Sound, with views of the Cascade and Olympic mountains. The park is built on the historic grounds of Fort Lawton, which was originally a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp during the Civil War. The park includes two miles of protected tidal beaches, a lighthouse, open meadow lands, dramatic sea cliffs, forest groves, active sand dunes, thickets, and streams. No dogs allowed on the beach.

Nice hike down to the lighthouse! We took the loop trail and it was pretty muddy but not too bad. Had we used the app sooner we would’ve probably just taken the paved walking path but it was a nice little hike!

Great easy trail for getting into trail hiking. Loved that there are so many different routes you can take. The light house is beautiful and there are many great views to take pictures

Great trail to do a walk/hike on if you don’t want to get out of the city. Wear boots or trail running shoes with lots of traction, as there was TONS of mud and you will slip & slide without proper footwear.

I’m really surprised by how intact the trail remains despite wet conditions. Not a lot of mud or debris. Great run. I’d recommend running it by taking a left at the beginning rather than a right

Was muddy on the back half but other than that a great hike

Amazing trail run. I thought it would be super muddy but it was quite dry and pleasant even after these few days of rain. Awesome transitions with the scenery and fairly engaging overall. One of my new favorites

flooded

well marked and well kept trails

Absolutely one of my most favorite trails! I hiked it this time with my daughter. I have hiked the trail twice before, and plan to hike it every time I am in Seattle. I love the lighthouse area, and the birding is a big plus for me.

As an Arizona runner, this was amazing. A glorious mix of woodsy trails with the smell of pine to a beach run with a lighthouse detour. Running in the fall, I got a bonus of being among the beautiful falling leaves. Loved it!!

Perfect Saturday city hike w/ da homie! my 3rd time here and it was nice to park in the north parking lot this time and start that way to complete the loop! The view was amazing. Heavily trafficked, but was not a bother as ppl were courteous and the park/trail is vast. Beautiful views as always! Gonna head back soon here to see the foliage! Today was def beautiful! Who wants to go trial running w/ me?!??!! P.s. this app really kills my battery and if the trail was any longer than 4mi, my phone would have died. Might just be my old a%# iPhone 7. Anyway, if u wanna map the whole way, take photos, etc., bring a portable charger!!!

Trail is very well kept with beautiful views, but much too crowded on a Saturday morning for my taste. Spent much of the time dodging trail runners.

beautiful! diverse type of vegetation!

Gorgeous views!

Great trail- just under 5 miles. Beautiful wooded trail that opens up to expansive sound views. Clear sunny day today!

Great classic Seattle views. Lots of different things to see. Love the beach!

Sunday stroll