Dirtyface Peak Trail

Dirtyface Peak Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

rock climbing

Directions from Lake Wenatchee: Travel northwest on State Route 207 to the Lake Wenatchee Ranger Station.

Great trail run with some runable sections on the way up and lots of fun running on the way back down. Plenty of rocks, trees, roots etc to jump around, climb over/under. Distance seems to be exactly like others had mentioned, about 4.5m each way. Definitely a good training run if your looking to get some quick elevation.

Woof this trail is an ass kicker. The stats here are wrong, it's 4.5 miles up (9 miles roundtrip) and 3950 elevation gain. I made the late decision to hike up, leaving the trailhead just before 1pm. The lower part of the trail on an 80ish degree day is sooooo hot, I about heat stroked, but at least as I hiked up I caught more shade. July/August HIKE EARLY or LATE. I was so happy to reach some shade on the old logging road halfway up, which is the only break in the constant incline or decline of this trail. There is still abundant water along the way, I crossed the spring twice more above the point where the little trail sign apparently marks the last of the reliable water sources. There were a handful of trees across the trail, nothing very daunting to cross, but I was glad I had left the bigger, less athletic dog at home, while little sporty dog ran circles around me. There was almost no wind, even up top, and the bugs were pretty horrendous. I coated myself with 30% DEET before heading up and I got eaten alive on the way back down in late afternoon. Wildflowers are blooming, not a a real attraction of this trail but more of a nice bonus, there are far better trails for flowers. Saw western tanagers and bluebirds, stellar jays, and 4 of these large, dull/dark colored birds perched on branches, calling to each other up the hill and which I have no idea?? I wish I had worn trail runners instead of boots, the bushy stuff didn't bother me in shorts and there are only a few wet areas on the trail anymore, and it's not super rocky, but I would have appreciated the lighter shoes--I was whooped at the bottom. Glad to have trekking poles on the descent. Straightforward hike, nothing technical and obvious route. Enjoy!

Good hike! Some fallen trees blocking the trail occasionally but nothing we couldn't get past. Scariest part for me was going through some very thick underbrush alongside a sheer drop into a ravine -- these are the times where it would have been nice to have seen the trail.

Very steep towards the end, I was huffing and puffing, but I'm not in the best shape, so results may vary.

Also, at one point about a third of the way in the trail cuts across a trickle of a waterfall, but it deceptively LOOKS like the trail keeps going up alongside the waterfall -- very easy to get off the trail by accident here, it actually happened to several hikers we were on the trail with.

Also note: Significant amounts of the trail are unshaded, you're just baking on a mountainside as you climb. Those of you who burn easily, pack accordingly.

Beautiful quiet hike ..trail is a bit overgrown at times . Trailhead not clearly marked . Wildflowers were extraordinary !

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Sunday, May 10, 2015

This trail was awesome! Hiked it on May 3rd. It was a little difficult to find the way around once we got to the snow, but the views at the top were outstanding. Just to note, the trail is 4.5 up and 4.5 down. bring plenty of water and snacks! we were a little low on snacks and it made the way back down a little more difficult.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

This hike was no joke! My husband and I counted 99 switchbacks. The views however, are absolutely spectacular and worth every step. The trail doesn't seem too terribly well traveled as there is a lot of shrubs and plant overgrowth. We prefer hikes where we don't see a lot of others on the trail so this was not a problem, we only ran into 4 other groups.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Lake Wenatchee can get very windy. There were also some forest fires in the area several years ago. So it makes sense that there are several downed trees on this trail. You'll have to go over and under about 20 trees but the trail is otherwise in decent shape. I ran into snow about 3/4 mile from the top. From that point the "trail" became a steep scramble straight up through 4 ft deep soft snow which was very slippery on the way down. I brought micro-spikes which made it a little easier. Nice views of Lake Wenatchee and Fish Lake as well as surrounding peaks in every direction from the top. Wildflowers were blooming on the lower section of the trail. I started at noon and was back at the car around 5pm. It was a good early season workout - especially the top part. Overall I enjoyed it.

Sunday, June 02, 2013

This is a really great hike with a 360 degree view at the top. However, the final 1000 feet up (this is a guesstimate) are snow. This made it challenging. Luckily I met strangers who were really great trail people to connect with and I wouldn't have finished the hike had I not because I was a female and hiking solo. To compare the difficulty of this hike to those I know well, it is between dog mountain and mount defiance in the columbia river gorge. Maybe not even as steep. The hard part was the snow near the top.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I hated this hike! Steep with no mercy. But I probably feel that way because it was one of my first high hikes. Maybe I would feel a little differently today if i tried it again, but I really have no desire to go back.

Monday, June 04, 2012

Good steeper trail. Snow 3/4 way up to lookout, continued onto other points on the ridge.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Steep but not terribly so, this is a pretty trail that sees few visitors. All 3 times I was there I had the trail to myself. No real water crossings but snow patches as you gain elevation. One of my favorites.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010