Dewey Lake Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length6.0 miElevation gain1,282 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashCampingHikingWalkingForestLakeViewsWildflowersWildlifeFee
Description
Waypoints (0)

Mount Rainier National Park charges a fee to enter. Fees are per vehicle or per motorcycle. If you are entering on foot, horse, or bike the fee is per person. You can also purchase a park-specific annual pass. Please check the park website for current rates. Although partially within the National Park, dogs are allowed on leash on this trail. For more information, read here: https://visitrainier.com/frequently-asked-questions-faqs-2/

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (117)
Photos (787)
Recordings (69)
Completed (450)
Trixie Ortiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 2, 2020
HikingBridge outGreat!IcyMuddyRockySnow

Great hike!! We started trail on north side, hiked all the way to lake, came back up, and took the loop trail, tiptoo lake trail back around. Definitely some icy patches and snow, but we made it with general hiking shoots.

Jonathan Moffitt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 25, 2020
HikingIcySnow

Completed yesterday. About 5 inches of snow, pretty well compacted on the trail. Very cold--at least compared to my typical hikes, about 25 degrees. Good moderate hike. My 4-year-old did 4 miles or so in her snow boots. The lake was not all that impressive, but the scenery on the way up and at the peak were worth it. It took us about 3.5 hours round trip, but our progress was pretty slow.

Rox Mcclintock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2020

I was a little embarrassed that I couldn't initially figure out which trail was going to lead towards Dewey lake. Park at one of the lots, turns out the giant log structure spanning the hwy is a bridge.....I didnt know I was on the right trail until I came to the tiny lake on the left. Nice place to stop and explore.. No snow on the roads or trail. Super misty. No views, but beautiful fall foliage that I believe is almost over. Dewey Lake itself I am sure would have been beautiful on a sunny day. However, due to the fog, there was a span of water that disappeared into the mist in a lacklusterly fashion. I would have enjoyed perusing the sub lake next door, but it was quite cold, and the remaining party was eager to head back. That being said, for a fall heading into winter hike, the beauty truly resided in the Naches loop trail portion of this hike. With red, gold and dark green foliage abounding.

Rodr Cher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 13, 2020
RunningGreat!

Very nice trail for run I did 45 virtual Marine corps marathon 26.2 milles October 10 2020 6 am pace 1230 per mile. Time : 5 h 20 min

Roscoe P. Coldchain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 9, 2020
Hiking

Arrived at 9:30am on a Tuesday and there were about 20 cars total between the three different parking lot areas. Just a heads up, while hiking, I had multiple people comment about how dogs weren’t allowed on this trail but it’s complete BS. Thanks for clarifying this before my arrival AllTrails app! The trail is well maintained but gets a little confusing in a couple spots because there’s multiple different routes you can take in some spots. The lake is absolutely amazing! The only reason I’m not giving this trail a 5 is because of the millions of piles of bear poo I saw scattered all around the lake. Honestly I think I saw more bear scat here than at the 15 hikes I did last month combined! Lake was great for me and the pup to swim in. The trail was busier than I would have preferred but majority of traffic was coming in as I was leaving. The people were also pretty rude to me and my dog so that combined with the pounds of bear shit means we won’t be returning to this average trail anytime soon!

Heather Colburn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

This hike was one of the best days of my life!!!!! First came to Rainier to hike/camp for 3 days with my dog. Didn’t know dogs not allowed on trails so I was bummed and had to change whole weekend. Came to this trail in my search not knowing what is was! And was I happy. Dogs allowed on leash. Great moderate hike to top to view lake. Then hike down to Dewey Lakes. Get to lake and it is crystal clear alpine perfection!!! Didn’t wear swimsuit, thanked my lucky stars I had black underwear and sports bra and jumped in!!!! Surprising I swam just fine for an hour. You swim from shore about 40 feet and you feel alone in middle of alpine lake Staring at Mt Rainier!!! It was epic! And happy I did- the hike back up was hefty- but so pretty didn’t care. If you don’t swim in that lake you are a fool :) Very very busy trail to first small lake. That’s not the lake- but most people turn around there so it thins out when hike really starts. If you don’t have a dog- it connects to other trails and the PCT part way down to the lakes. Great camp spots around lake- not many. Pack light if ur camping.

Craig Bokesch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

I loved it a lot. Nobody in your group will be disappointed.

Natalie Dagley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020
Hiking

Started recording when we left the big Cougar Lake and back to 410. We passed American Lake on the way to Cougar Lakes but did not pass it because we connected to the PCT on the ridge above Cougar Lakes to make a loop.

View Natalie's Recording
Sherry Hellenkamp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2020
Hiking

Nice hike, though very dusty and dry trails. Lots of wildflowers and pretty lake views. Our dog loved the reward of swimming at Dewey Lake. We were hiking later in the day on Friday and there weren’t too many other hikers.

View Sherry's Recording
Jim Kritzberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
View Jim's Recording
Sarah Fenili
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2020
Hiking

Love this trail! One thing, you can have dogs on this trail. Please leash them and pick up their poo

Danny DeLorenzo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
View Danny's Recording
Nicholas Keyser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

8/8/20 Maybe it’s because of the wildflowers, but I’d say this trail is pushing heavily trafficked. Most were headed along the Naches Peak Loop so crowds subsided a bit on the branch down to Dewey, but still lots of backpackers and day hikers. Got there at 8:45am, all parking full, hoards of people, bathrooms closed and a disgusting pile of bags upon bags of poop outside the door (human? animal? who knows...). Beautiful trail though All in all, the wildflowers of Rainier are incredible. This particular day was fogged in. Couldn’t see 5 feet in front of the car while driving. It made for a spectacular dream-like hike. No mosquitos today. Two notes: (1) if you’re a group of 20 something women who are really excited to be in nature, the lake will not contain your youth, in fact it will amplify your voices as they reflect and carry across, (2) found multiple piles of bear scat on the far side of the lake, some fresh. Goes without saying but keep your eyes and ears open, you’re just a visitor. 4 stars because of how heavily trafficked

View Nicholas's Recording
Yaz Obara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Two of my friends, my son and I hiked Naches Peak Loop and Dewey Lakes. Wildflowers were blooming and Mount Rainier was magnificent.

View Yaz's Recording
Rob & Alicia Exploring
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
FishingBugsGreat!

Really enjoyed this hike. Beautiful loop around the lake with views of wildflower carpeted meadows and rugged mountain peaks along the way.

Gabrielle Prefontaine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Easy trail to find, beautiful views and great swimming spots along the way and also once at the lakes! Flowers were amazing!! Be aware though: lots of mosquitoes! Bring insect repellent!!

Amy Kei
View Amy's Recording
Paul Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Trail was good. Mosquitoes were somewhat bothersome. Lake and flowers were stunning!

View Paul's Recording
Wayne Broadt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy
View Wayne's Recording
Daniel Kidwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
BugsOff trailRockySnow

A friend and I backpacked in from Naches Peak Loop Trail Head on July 14th. There was a lot of snow for the first .5 to 1 mile of the trail, and then a bit more snow all the way to Large Dewey Lake and Small Dewey Lake. We spent the night at Small Dewey Lake, next to a creek. The weather was perfect the entire trip - blue skies. Left camp and hiked around Dewey Lake, then up to Anderson Lake, spent the night and hiked back to Naches Peak Loop Trail Head. There was much more snow on the way to Anderson Lake, and went off trail a couple of times as a result, but only for a minute or two each time. Despite the added snow on the way up, it was much warmer up at Anderson Lake. Three to Four weeks from now would be an ideal time to go, as there is still a lot of snow this season. If you go in the next three to four weeks, take trekking poles with the snow attachments, or something to help grip on the snow. All in all, the trip was amazing and the scenery was gorgeous! Though, I lost a black and white handled Benchmade Damascus Steel pocket knife on that trip between Anderson Lake and Dewey Lake. If you find it, I hope it serves you well. God bless.