Desolation Peak Trail via Ross Lake

Desolation Peak Trail via Ross Lake is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rockport, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,475 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

Rent a boat from Ross Lake Resort and take the boat north past Ten Mile Island and Cat Island. Dock the boat and start your climb to Desolation Peak.

Did this hike with my 77 year old dad and 7 year old twin boys last week. The trail was amazingly well maintained. I had bug spray but forgot to put it on, and didn’t get a single bite; mosquitoes usually flock to me like ants to a picnic. Word to the wise: pick a number of oz of water that you think is way too high and then double that, and you’ll probably have slightly less than what you need. I cajoled my boys through the forest and meadows (0.5% downhill, 0.5% flat-ish, and 99% steep incline) with a series of bribes, which I later regretted. Because: we came over that final crest of the meadows and saw the lookout off in the distance, and while I darned near broke down in tears, they shouted “LOOKOUT!” and took off SPRINTING up the hill. We were greeted at the lookout by Jim, quite possibly the nicest employee of the NPS ever, and the views and wildflowers were nothing short of spectacular. The boys are already talking about a repeat trip next year...I guess I’d better get my training hikes on.

Sun Dec 17 2017

Made the mistake of starting this trail during the hottest part of the day in July. This hike is no joke! We had to turn around half a mile from the summit as we didn’t Bring enough water and one member of our group was getting very ill. One member of our group did make it to the top and said the views of the sun setting into the mountains that stretched far into Canada were absolutely stunning.

Sat Jul 21 2018