Deception Pass Bridge and Beach Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(117)
Deception Pass State Park

Deception Pass Bridge and Beach Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Oak Harbor, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 377 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Looking for a safe harbor? Smooth waters? So was Captain James Vancouver in June of 1798. So he sent Ship's Master Joseph Whidbey with a crew in a small boat around the northeastern tip of what was later named Whidbey Island to search for the inner waterway to Port Gardener. Deceived as to the nature of this passage, he wrote on his chart "Deception Pass," and the name stuck. Today the pass is a beautiful and exotic passage for all manner of water craft as they make their way from the many marinas along the island coast to the larger waters of Puget Sound. Whether its flood tide, ebb tide, or slack tide, you can locate yourself on one of the primary viewing points of the passage and ponder the interaction of the skipper, the ship and the sea. To reach Deception Pass by land drive west/south on Hwy 20 from I-5, or north from Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island. Coming from the south you'll see a sign for Deception Pass State Park. Turn left into the park and follow the signs to Little North Beach .... After you've spent some time on the beach watching the currents and tide, head back out to the main road and continue north. Just across the main bridge, you'll encounter a parking area on the right. This is Canoe Island. From here you can walk across either bridge, or you can explore the island under the main bridge and down into the passage. Further north, on the mainland side of the bridge is another parking area with another fantastic view of the passage.

I went yesterday with my dog, Roxy. The weather was nice and the everyone practiced social distancing when approached on the trailhead. My dog was upset that she couldn’t have pets from strangers or meet with other dogs. I wasn’t able to go near the bridge as I realized that Roxy was scared of the sound from traffic crossing. It was a great activity to pass time and logged some miles on my Fitbit. We walked the beach, she climbed rocks and logs, and used the trail as well.

closed

I loaded up the 4x4 Dodge Ram with a picnic lunch and drove out to Deception State Park. Traffic was minimal heading North on Interstate 5 and even less once I got onto highway 20. Skagit County is so beautiful during spring with everything blooming. I arrived at the bridge, (which is now being worked on from 8pm-6am M-F) and most of the first turnout for viewing was blocked by bridge construction material and port-a-potties. I crossed over into the paid lot and parked in the first available parking stall. There were approximately four other cars in the lot when I arrived to include a Washington State Patrol vehicle. There were an abundance of signs stating that the park was closed, and as I quietly ate my lunch, I watched people come and go from the bridge. The sun was out but it was still a chilly 45 degrees. The State Trooper came and went several times but never left his/her vehicle. Finally, after finishing my lunch, and the parking lot was reduced to just two cars, I left the confines of my vehicle, quickly walked out to the bridge and snapped a few photos. As I looked down to the water, I could see many shore birds and sea lions playing in the water. Once returning to my vehicle, another three vehicles pulled in. It was nice to get a little fresh air and see the ocean for that brief moment. I can't wait for everything to return to normal.

We did this with our kids (7 & 4) and it was just right. And beautiful!

beautiful views on the bridge but make sure to hike down to the beach for the sunset

Easy trail along the water/cliffs. Had my 13 year old beagle with me and he did fine. Trail is well marked. Be cautious of the wind, it gets heavier the higher you get and the more open you are, especially standing on the cliffs overlooking the water. There are many spots like this along the trail. Overall, no issues, highly recommend.

Best on a day the tide is out.

Great trail. We actually started on west beach proceeded East on beach to bridge then returned via the trail in trees. Beach best at lower tide.

Great view of deception pass. However, half the trail was closed due to maintenance issues. If you can parkour your way down to the shore, you’ll have a nice scene of the water and maybe some sea lions off in the distance.

Great view! Easy quick hike!

Quick and easy, great for looking at scenery and taking photos.

Started at trail head. Cranberry lake trail to west beach to Deception pass. Went around Perimeter trail to lower trail. Great hike.

We were there today. It was a nice walk down to the beach with a lovely view. We went to west beach with a child (age: nearly 2 yrs) which was perfect. It’s a partly sandy, partly rocky beach. We saw some seals in the water.

Enjoyed the view! Beautiful over look points to see all around. Enjoyed the beach and the bridge is beautiful as well

It’s for afun day with family and get down and Touch the cold water

A lot of people and a lot of traffic. A lot cooler places to hike near by. Great if you are just looking to hang out on the beach or have a picnic.

Tue Apr 02 2019

It was a short easy, kid friendly and pet friendly hike. The views were amazing and a mandatory one if you’re visiting around.

Fri Jan 18 2019

definitely worth doing for the views - best is in winter to avoid the crowds - there is some elevation so if you have physical limitations best to drive down through the main park entrance

Sun Sep 30 2018

Great sites all along this hike .

Wed Aug 29 2018

Love D-Pass Bridge views! But “hike” as described is more of a walk. We take all out of town visitors to this landmark...a challenge to find parking on the weekends.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Parked just on the south end of the bridge. Pleasant walk over the bridge spans and great views in both directions. Returned to the parking area and took the short walk down the hill to the beach area. Lots of people fishing and just looking at the water. Very peaceful during the week.

Wed Aug 08 2018

easy hike. been a few times. once when I was 7 months pregnant. beautiful views. saw seals once and otters. not too crowded during the weekdays. very crowded on weekends

Mon Aug 06 2018

Pretty. short walk around and over bridge. Not really a hike but beautiful.

Sun Jul 08 2018

This trail is not too hard and it captures the views of deception pass beautifully!

Sat May 12 2018

You can park on either end of the bridge, think best to park on the north side so you can read about Deception Pass and walk across. Path takes you under the bridge and down a lush fern edged trail to the beach which is absolutely beautiful at sunset. Short hike with great views, spectacular scenery. Can be sunny or shrouded in mist/fog. Don't miss it.

Sun May 06 2018

Absolutely stunning, quick hike. We timed our arrival at the bridge with sunset, which was out-of-this-world breathtaking. Definitely make time to go if you’re in the area!

Thu Apr 26 2018

A very nice place. Great scenery with breathtaking views. Love the place.

Thu Apr 26 2018

Great views from atop the bridge, well worth your time to stretch your legs and talk a walk. North side pull out parking is free, every where else is $10 for the day $30 for the year. Free bath rooms at South end parking lot.

Mon Feb 26 2018

So unexpectedly beautiful views on a windy day in February. Perfect Sunday adventure for Washingtonians.

Mon Jan 15 2018

So many amazing views. Even in January it was a little busy. But it was a perfect sunny day.