Debbie's View via May Valley Loop and West Peak Trail

Debbie's View via May Valley Loop and West Peak Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Issaquah, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,571 feet Route Type: Loop

This route starts from the state park's parking lot which requires Discover Pass or fee payment, passes the May Valley Loop, Bullitt Gorge, West Peak, Premier Loop trails, and the must-go Debbie's View, which is the only awesome lookout of the whole Squak Mountain.

This was a nice hike for the day. The second 1/2 of the hike was definitely snowy, slushy, and muddy. Not terrible, but be sure to bring waterproof footwear with good tread. My dogs and I somehow passed Debbies View by about a half mile. Once I noticed I decided to double back and be sure to see it. It was worth the extra mile added to our trip. Debbies View is a nice lookout and great midpoint to have a rest. Overall I would recommend this trip and will be back to do it again in another time of year.

mushy and alippery. but you'll have it almost all to yourself

Muddy trail but real fun!

I did this hike on a rainy day and was thankful for all the cover. The trail provides a respectable climb that gives the calves a good burn. I was quite sick that day, so I think being worn down made the trail seem more challenging than it really is. If I were Debbie, I would be asking for a better view to be named after me. From Debbie’s View I hiked up to Central Peak, passing by Bullitt Fireplace. The fireplace still appears to being used even though I suspect it should not be. I figured there would be a good view from the peak, but what I found was a cell phone/microwave tower. Round trip I did 8.08 miles. If you are looking to get out into a beautiful forest without expecting any spectacular views, this is a good hike. ~ Sherry

Keri and i enjoyed the trail as did our little Alaskan Klee Kai! Most of the trail is very well-maintained nice forest trail which made jogging parts of it nice.

NIce hike although a little confusing with signage and lots of intersecting trails. I am sure it will get easier to understand the more I go up. However, the view was only ok so I am not sure if I will go back. Although it is a great workout and very close to my home so no complaints. Trail was in great shape. Very shaded almost entire way. Took us 1.75 hours going up including getting a little lost on finding Debies View. Took about 1.25 hours going down.

Great trail in excellent shape. Quiet - only saw 5 others on a sunny Friday afternoon.

The wild flowers were a lie. Trail in good condition and the lookout is nice. Not crowded. A good bit of burn, and a nice trail in the woods. Don't expect views of anything other than woods though.

Great hike! A few steep portions but overall a moderate incline. Went around noon on a Sunday and it was not overly busy. Plenty of space on the trail for the dog to explore. Discovery Pass is required for parking lot.

This hike was a good hike to do late in the afternoon with the family. We went left at the loop and straight to the lookout to take a nice break and enjoy the view of the valley below. The trail was well kept with one tree blown over and the trail toward the top. Overall good hike!

A good hike close in. Also a decent workout to get you started if this is your first hike of the year. Surprisingly good view at Debbie’s lookout on a clear day. When we went the snow and ice really started a bit before the loop.

Nice trail but too snowy to hike once you hit the “Squak Mountain Natural Area.” I tried with hiking shoes but it was a tad too slippery. The rest of the trail is clear and pretty smooth.

Tue Jan 15 2019

Great scenery at Debbie’s View, but definitely follow a map or gps because the signs toward the peak are confusing. There are several fallen trees at the moment and one that requires climbing under.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Trail was a fair challenge, but typical muddy/running water for the weather and season. I do wish the signs were updated to reflect the locations and trails. Also, wish I could update the map on here to show the smaller trails (Fireplace Trail, Perimeter Loop, Old Griz Trail, etc.) I actually added on the trail up to Central Peak via Fireplace Trail, then came back down to crest West Peak down to Debbie's Viewpoint and then returning down the main trail.

Tue Jun 26 2018

Nice hike and few people.

Thu May 03 2018

Lovely. Hardly anyone else on the trail — so very peaceful, too. Definitely check out Debbie’s View (a great spot for lunch/snack and reflection) before heading back.

Sat Mar 17 2018

Awesome hike. Beautiful trails that are very well taken care of and very clearly marked. Would definitely hike this spot again!

Mon Dec 11 2017

12/11/2017 (Monday) -- Sunny winter day, dry, chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon around 45F, especially bask in the sun at Debbie's View. Take this root up to West Peak (rarely visited by hikers) and then to Debbie's View (most popular and most frequently visited place on the Squak Mountain). It got dark very early (around 4pm). A very pleasant trip.