Damfino Lakes Trail

Damfino Lakes Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 360 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please Note: The road leading to the trailhead can be blocked due to boulders.

icy

The turn by turn directions on WTA are spot on. My odometer read 14.4 miles from the first turn off of 542 to the trailhead. Just FYI. The road has some tire busting potholes so exercise caution if driving a low clearance vehicle. I’m sure a sedan could make it right now but the weather is turning and I’d advise a high clearance vehicle with 4WD option in the future. The trail was mostly dry with a few muddy spots and a lot of exposed tree roots and rocks. I made it to the Damfino Lakes surprisingly quickly, to my surprise. I suppose I didn’t read or completely understand the hike. I thought the Damfino Lakes would be more than a couple of giant puddles. They were completely iced over. The foot bridges were iced over as well, but with careful slow steps you shouldn’t have any issues. After you traverse the lakes, you’ll want to slip on your micro spikes. I didn’t for the first few hundred feet but as the trail gradually increased in elevation, finding a footing without slipping became less common. Once out into the meadow, it’s all snow. The boot path was relevant until about .43 miles to the summit of Excelsior Peak. It turned from many hiking boots and some dog paw prints to one pair of hiking boots and one set of dog paw prints. The trail seemed to disappear in places and to either side there was the ever present danger of post-holing. Being that I was alone, I did not want to suffer injury and not be able to get back to the parking lot so I called it quits. The views expanded far beyond what I could imagine up here. The surrounding peaks weren’t all that snow capped and were soon swallowed up by the impending rain storm that was shifting my way from the West. The sun was just a mere dull bulb in the sky barely visible through the gray clouds. My micro spikes helped me on the way down through the slippery descent on the snow packed trail. And once back through the Damfino Lakes, I passed two more hikers heading up. Incredible to see anyone up this far North so late in the season. This hike is probably gorgeous in the spring all the way through fall when there isn’t snow. I will certainly return to summit Excelsior Peak.

Bummer the road was blocked by large boulder today ....

Sun Sep 25 2016

Beautiful in September with all the fall colors. There is a medium mud and rock slide approximately 1.5 miles on the drive up. The pot holes are worth the hike.

Mon Jun 08 2015

beautiful hike with many rewards. not too strenuous, but definitely a good workout. Easy navigation. worst part was the drive out the logging road for over 14 miles, but totes worth it. Next time I would go in July for all the wild flower, or in the off season to overnight it, and hope for less traffic as it was well traveled.

Mon Sep 22 2014

Beautiful day and the dragonflies were abundant at the lakes!