Cultus Creek Trail

Cultus Creek Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trout Lake, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and horses and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Trout Lake: Travel west on State Highway 141 past Mt. Adams to the forest boundary. At the boundary, 141 becomes Primary Forest Route 24. Take 24 north, across Dry Creek and past Hidden Lakes, to the Cultus Creek campground. The trailhead is at the campground.

No bugs today! Also save for three lone lupines, no wildflowers. Lots of mushrooms! We made it to Wood Lake, pretty but compared to other Indian Heaven lakes nothing to write home about. Only saw two other hikers, heard two through hikers on PCT. Nice views of Mt Adams.. Would love to come back for wildflowers but having experienced the bugs up here will have to REALLY want to.

Low rating only because of bugs and AllTrails won't let me skip this step; I did not do the hike though the area was beautiful and I WILL go back to explore. Campgrounds were lush and shaded. I had been searching through trip reports before I left for bug info and couldn't find any up to date, so I did want to get on here and mention the mosquitoes were terrible. I was hoping to camp at the trail head campgrounds, but decided to continue the journey down in elevation to fewer biting insects. I also looked at several locations on the way in off of NFDR 6035 and on the way out near Placid Lake, but it seemed like all places near this 4000 ft area in Indian Heaven Wilderness was swarming with mosquitoes (no joke) with no relief. When I got further west near McClellan Meadows and 2500-3000 ft by a nice flowing creek, I was mosquito free!

Attempted this on June 21st, 19. There was way too much snow at the peak to pass without proper gear. There were still several snow fields along the way up that were passable but I ran into a 20 ft of snow at the top. I was forced to turn around.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Loved all of the mountain lakes and wildflowers in late July!

Sun Jul 10 2016

Trail 33 to Indian Heaven is the best way to access this area. PCT 2000 to trail 108 does not compare. But the loop is nice. Lots of mosquitoes until late August.

Fri Oct 27 2017