Crystal Mountain Trail

Crystal Mountain Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from June until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,559 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

From Puyallup, east 47 miles on State Highway 410 to Crystal Mountain Road (Forest Service Road 7190). Turn left and drive 4.4 miles to Forest Service Road 7190-510. Turn right and drive 0.4 miles to Sand Flats camping area and the trailhead.

icy

First let me start off by saying that if you make it to the top of this trail, it is absolutely beautiful. 100% worth the hike. It was just under 13 miles round trip, and there are some pretty steep inclines along the way. I’m not in tip top shape, but I do hike often.. and we had to take a lot of rest breaks! There is a little pond/lake about halfway up, which is nice for a little snack. You will not see Mt Rainier until you are just about at the top (maybe .25 miles from the top?).... but the views are stunning! (I hiked on a clear day). I brought my dog, but I wouldn’t have had I read one of the other reviews. It gets very rocky in some points... I almost turned around 3 times. Parking- you will actually start on boullion basin trail, to silver creek, to crystal mountain. The trail head is to the left of the chapel at crystal mountain ski resort (yes, you start the hike by immediately ascending up a very steep ski hill). We camped at silver creek and drove the 11 minutes to this trailhead.... there was plenty of parking since it’s a huge lot. Overall, it’s a great trail. If you can hike UP for a few hours straight.. I’d recommend this trail!

Great trail running!

Gorgeous! I am so glad we hike down instead of taking the gondola. It was often crazy steep and the rocks were shifty. But the lake is gorgeous!

Weather was amazing - a bit chilly starting at 7:30 am but quickly warmed in the ascent. No bugs. The trail is a steep in some places and a good workout with many rewards of valley views and serene lakes. Bring your wallet as we stopped for lunch at the top where the gondola drops off (restaurant opens at 10:30am). Gorgeous view of mountains (rainier, Adams, baker and St Helens). I would recommend descending the same way you came up as the view does not offer anything additional and is actually an unpleasant rock road the majority of the way with lots of twisted ankles- yes it’s shorter that way but took as long as just going backwards (we did it that way last year) because it was so rocky and hot. Definitely recommend this hike!!! The way up is the “yellow” loop for Ragnar Trail Run.

recorded Crystal Mountain Trail

Great Hike!! We hiked UP starting on the Silver Creek trail to Crystal Mt trail to Summit. About 2.5 hrs with time taking pics along the way. Beautiful at Henskin Lake! Glad we had bug spray!! A bit steep with loose sharp rock towards the end and out in the open sun for last 30min so glad I did not bring my dog. Gorgeous views and very fun! Glad we packed our lunch to eat up at the summit as there was an hour wait for the restaurant. Took the gondola down. Pack 2 water bottles, food, and bug spray! Fun hike :)

Hiked up 4.9mi to the top and rode the gondola down. Nice change in foliage along the way. Took 2.5hrs from car to top.

This is a great trail if you are in training for something and want to keep boots on the ground. There is a beautiful little lake about half way up. Some of the views of rainier u don’t see to the very end! The mosquitos were absolutely awful so make sure to bring lots of bug spray! If you just want to see the amazing views then take the gondola up for thirty bucks a person! Definitely coming back to do dinner at the restaurant at the top and to repeat the views! Dog friendly!

I asked my family to do this trail for my birthday and they all did without whining! We were one of the only groups hiking up-everyone else was coming down, but glad we did it! The beautiful terrain changes a lot through the hike, as did the weather. We booked a birthday dinner reservation at the top and took the gondola down. This is a big hike for families so suggest for older children & bring plenty of energizing snacks & water.

This is an easy trail when hiked down from the gondola, really enjoyable and the scenery is jaw dropping beautiful. However, we were a little too early this year, the trail was still covered in snow for much of the way and laced with creeks of snowmelt, at times the trail becomes the creek. Also, in places the snow completely obscures the trail and makes it difficult to find. Saw lots of wildlife, and also lots of cougar prints. The lakes at Crystal are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen for such easy access. Il be looking forward to hiking this trail again after it dries out a bit.

We’ve taken the gondola up and hiked this trail down a few times, but we did the opposite today. This trail is pretty cool. Waterfalls, streams, lakes, wildlife, and views. Took our boys (9 and 11) and they were fine. Approximately 6 miles, 2500 vertical feet. Pros: Crystal is busy, but the trail was EMPTY; Good trail for exercise; Scenic. Cons: Snow in places that make it difficult to stay on the trail (bring your AllTrails app); A few sketchy/rocky/narrow stretches on the hillside that’ll pucker ya a bit; Last mile or so is a thigh burner. Tips: Wear boots, bring microspikes if you’ve got em, have bug spray handy.

Fri Oct 26 2018

Did this hike after another 2,000+ up/down hike. Hiked from the bottom to the top and then took the Gondola down. Note: There's a restaurant at the top but it's not terribly good. Note2: BRING BUGSPRAY. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. There were far more people hiking down, but I always like the challenge of going up. Much nicer. Also, you can buy gondola tickets at the top, so you can leave early in the morning.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Mon Sep 03 2018

Great, well traveled trail. Beautiful meadows and lakes on the way up. Many ppl take the gondola up and then hike down, making it accessible to more folks

Sat Aug 18 2018

Great to take the dog. I wanted more scenery as in the photos. looking for more scenery any great places on mountain to find them?

Sun Aug 05 2018

Completed this from the top down with our two Danes. A little narrow in places for two way traffic but overall a great trail. Not a huge amount of traffic for a late summer Saturday. Got about half way down before a thunderstorm rolled in and started dumping on us. Lightning, thunder, hail, and rain made this “fun” with the dogs. Will be back to do this bottom to top and allow some time to enjoy the lakes on the trail.

Sun Jul 29 2018

We took the Gondola up to the summit. Once you are at the top, the view of Mt. Rainier is absolutely breathtaking. We hiked down the Crystal Mountain trail. Stunning views all the way down. We turned onto the Silver Creek trail and continued down to the base. It was exhausting to us novices, but worth it. Tips: Bring bug spray!!!! Wear good hiking boots (lots of loose rocks)

Sun Jul 15 2018

so beautiful! brutal uphill but great downhill.

Mon Jul 09 2018

Fun hike, we hiked up to Summit...Gorgeous day!! Dogs loved the trails and we loved the views. Will be back to explore other routes to the top. Not much snow left.. but enough for pups to cool off. Perfect lunch spot at Henskin lake..and pretty much had the lake to ourselves. we do recommend good hiking shoes, gravel is slippery in some spots and a couple creeks to get thru. View at top is worth it! Bonus was the ice cream treat