Coyote Wall Loop Trail

Coyote Wall Loop Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near White Salmon, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderate to difficult hike with steep inclines, but gorgeous views and amazing wildflowers to see during spring time. There are many connecting trails and is easy to make into a longer or shorter loop or out and back.

Hot hike, flowers are great and geology is amazing out here.

Did this October 2017. Exposed. Great views of Columbia River. Extreme wind. More mountain bikers than hikers, except at top of ridge where it is extremely steep. Had to descend quickly due to storm, but it did bring a rainbow in addition to cold rain.

Did this on Mother’s Day. Great hike, beautiful views. Not great for our big dog—hike has no shade and rocks were too hot for his paws. Take care with dogs.

Worth the view, many different paths to choose from. Wasn’t too busy on a Sunday.

Gorgeous views from the top

We saw a coyote on another trail. The last mile is pretty uphill. Exposed - wear sunscreen. We made homemade tick repellent and were totally fine. No rattlesnakes but incredibly windy.

Hiked yesterday! Great hike and some awesome views. Third time here and it never gets old. Have a nice YouTube video of the second hike and another one coming within the next few days

Worth it, but it is hard. I’m a mediocre hiker, getting in shape, and building cardio, I was able to complete the loop. You’ll be walking uphill mostly, but the view is worth all the work. Did see a rattlesnake cross the trail, so be aware when walking around.

Lovely but crowded with people and a few rattlesnakes.

Great hike - thought about mtn biking it but glad I did the hike.instead— we walked out along the entry path and took the east side loop and returned on the west side along the bluff. Couple of steep pitches but not bad at all. Amazing terrain. Felt like 4 different hikes // open grassy, labyrinth of Rocky agate, vistas beyond belief, meadows and then up on top.a Forrest. Beautiful. Did not see waterfall. I guess next time. Flowers past season.
Great workout and not as hard as I thought it would be.
All trails map helped navigate the various paths-pretty easy.
Will go again for sure earlier next year.

Great hike! Not too hard. Just a couple steep inclines. I would categorize it as moderate. Warning thought!! Check yourself for ticks! Ran into a bunch of blacklegged ticks yesterday.

Went to do this beautiful hike, but was really turned off by how windy it was. I almost lost my hat 4x and even my dog was blowing over. The loop at the top isn’t well marked and we couldn’t find the part that scaled along the wall. The lower hike area reminds me of SF hiking and it was gorgeous, but tons of poison oak around so be careful.

Overall, not a very hard hike. I’d rate it as medium since the middle to top area is where you are really climbing, but it’s not for that long. The top is flat and the bottom is a steady incline. Nothing too hard though.

Great hike, checked it off the list, may do this again years from now. For now, that wind was enough for me!

My favorite hike so far. It’s a MUST DO! Man was it hard! Don’t forget sunscreen as you are exposed the whole time and only put in one earbud as you’ll need to listen for rattle snakes. But the pain was so worth it. The loop is hard to follow and not well defined but there were SO many helpful people along the way. And printing a map was a good idea. There is everything you could want on this trail, waterfalls, flowers, the view!!!! Don’t be intimidated by the “hard” category. It was freaking hard! But I took lots of breaks (watch out for poison oak everywhere) and I made it in about 3.5-4 hours. So worth it!

The views are amazing. In a clear day you can see Mt Hood and Columbia Gorge for miles. The hike it’s not hard but if it windy it’s gonna be a lot harder. A really nice hike even for beginners, only like 4 hours to do the whole hike.

Did this May 27, wildflowers are gone. I am fairly new to hiking so I rate this hard if you are not used to very steep inclines. Should have started before 10:30 as it got hot fast! I am used to hiking in the forest so I did not enjoy this as much but if you seek a challenge, it still has great views and the hawks at the top were amazing to watch hover in the wind. I think we did something wrong as it ended up being 7.8 miles. I didn't find parking difficult - you just have to park closer to the hwy if the lot is full and there is a vault toilet at the trailhead.

Hiked on May 5, 2018. Beautiful wildflowers at the top. Flowing stream for dogs to cool off in. Not covered in trees so important to bring sunscreen and extra water. Parking was very limited.

Great rocky/dirt trail. Starts out on an actual road & you have a couple of trail options. I took the 2nd trail up to the left & saw the waterfall & amazing views. Took my dog up this morning & saw only a handful of people. Will do again.

Beautiful hike. Some of the view points looking at the wall are unbelievable. At the top loop, do a full body check for ticks if you decide to do it. Husband had 4 ticks chowing down. Loads of poison oak as well, ended up taking a Tecnu bath in the Walmart parking lot in Hood River after. Highly recommend not doing the last little loop due to the ticks and poison oak. Hopefully we got it in time! But seriously, beautiful hike.

Amazing hike!! Wild flowers are out and rattle snake too so watch out and stay on the trail!!!

Great close in hike. Watch for rattlers, it is a bit crowded and poles are useful for the upper lower loop!

Signage was not great but I think most could figure it out. The last mile and change are brutal. Don't give up because the view is worth it. The flowers are just starting to bloom too

loved it! Place is stacked poison oak enough to definitely give you a complex. Really enjoyed the fur baby sasquatches also.

This trail is beautiful. I love the landscape and view! There is tons of poison oak and it comes right up to the trail.

The wildflowers and the view were both amazing.

Trails could use better signs. At the trail head you start on asphalt and we continued on asphalt until hitting a dead end. We missed the entry onto a dirt trail and had to double back. Parking was full even at 10am on a Tuesday. Scenery was stunning. We only hiked about 2.5 miles in. It is a strenuous hike. Lots of steep switchbacks and jagged rock on the trail. Bring trekking poles! Lots of poison oak so take care to stay in the trail. No ticks or mosquitoes (yet). There is a good amount of unshaded trail so be prepared for sunburn and higher temperatures than you see around the falls.

Signs are awful. Crowded. But amazing views

First timer and loved it!
Thanks to my buddy who knows this place like the back of hands. I hope to be back to enjoy the spring full bloom.

4/1/18: Weather conditions were windy and the rain held off for most of the afternoon so the ground was dry. This is good because this hike is completely ‘open’. You can either do the switchback trail or go directly up to avoid the switchbacks (which is what my partner and I did) and the intensity rating I would give for that is “hard” since it’s straight up. Trail is a mix of rocks, dirt, and grass. When you think you’ve reached the “top”... don’t be fooled, you’ll have a few more steps to go. There weren’t many mountain bikers today, but be cautious to share the trail with them because they come down fast and some don’t forewarn you with a shout. When you finally reach the top, there’s not much else going on though which was a bit disappointing.

I'm not in the best physical condition of my life but I would consider this hike to be very easy, even without using the optional switchbacks. Do it to do it, but next time avoid the mountain bikers and ticks with other nearby hikes.