Coyote Wall Loop Trail

Coyote Wall Loop Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near White Salmon, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Portland, just take i-84 east to Hood River, cross the bridge over to WA in Hood River, then head east 4.6 miles on highway 14 and the trailhead sign will be on your left.

First timer and loved it!
Thanks to my buddy who knows this place like the back of hands. I hope to be back to enjoy the spring full bloom.

4/1/18: Weather conditions were windy and the rain held off for most of the afternoon so the ground was dry. This is good because this hike is completely ‘open’. You can either do the switchback trail or go directly up to avoid the switchbacks (which is what my partner and I did) and the intensity rating I would give for that is “hard” since it’s straight up. Trail is a mix of rocks, dirt, and grass. When you think you’ve reached the “top”... don’t be fooled, you’ll have a few more steps to go. There weren’t many mountain bikers today, but be cautious to share the trail with them because they come down fast and some don’t forewarn you with a shout. When you finally reach the top, there’s not much else going on though which was a bit disappointing.

Hiked on March 24th. So many long switch backs! But it was a nice casual hike, not steep until the last 1/4 mile where you get to the top of the cliff trail. Make sure you have a map-not many signs actually say the name of trails on the way up. Flowers just starting to come up!

Such a beautiful hike. Amazing views the whole entire way! Lots of traffic - hikers and mtn bikers. Got lucky with sunshine the whole time. Loved it! Can’t wait to see all the wildflowers this summer

Beautiful late winter/early spring hike. Sun was shining and because the bulk of this hike is exposed, I was able to hike shirtless to attempt to tan. The panoramic views of the Gorge and Mt Hood keep you motivated as you climb to the top; I imagine once the wildflowers bloom those will also be a great motivator. I particularly enjoyed being on the section just before the forest (the highest point).

The trail wasn’t crowded but we also went mid-week and started before 10am. I loved coming down little Moab and watching the mountain bikers, they’re crazy!!!

Amazing views!! The wild flowers were still working on coming up so I’m sure in a few weeks it’ll be even better when they’re in full bloom! No shade until the top so bring the sun screen! Wouldn’t rate it as a hard though, moderate trail for sure.

Very windy but beautiful hike

We did this trail today. Marc and I enjoyed it so much. At the lower part of this trail it was a bit crowdy with lots of mountainbikers hower it went really quiet at the upper part.
I will recommend this trail because its a really beautiful one. Spectaculair views, beautiful small streams, popping out flowers and we spotted several eagles.
It really kicks your butt!

A real butt kicker on the way up! So so Beautiful and a perfect winter hike as there is no shade. We hit snow up top but nothing crazy! Highly recommend!

Beautiful views, nice incline for a good work out. 1st Wild flowers are starting pop out.

I have to agree with the review below. It is a perfect winter hike. I am pretty sure this hike is perfect all year round. The views are amazing and seeing the snow capped mountains in the distance was breathtaking.

A gorgeous view pretty much no matter which way you go. Waterfalls, streams, rock formations, and wildlife. We saw 2 bald eagles and a rainbow. There was minimal people on the trail, which was awesome. I’d avoid it in the late summer as there is no shade, but it was a perfect winter hike. One of the few hikes I’ll do more than once!

edit: BEWARE OF TICKS AND POISON OAK ON THIS TRAIL. JUST FOUND 6 TICKS ON MY DOG. Dropped to 3 stars from 5. Trail is great. Ticks are bad!

I did this hike today, but I didn't follow the map. I followed a different route I found elsewhere and I recommend it! Go past where this map has you turn left off hwy 8 and turn left at the next turn instead. It winds up to Labyrinth Falls, which was like a tiny Lava Canyon.
Then keep following the trail up past the falls. When you come to a fence, keep left up the hill. Follow the trail up and around several view points and groups of oaks. Turn left when you come to the cross roads. Follow the Old Farm Road back down the hill. The next time you come to a fence, go right and up the hill to the top of Coyote Wall, then back down and through the fence.
Follow the Little Maui Trail back down to hwy 8. It has some more cool waterfalls.

I loved how open it was and the different options of trails. Great views the whole time.

Lots of different paths so it’s easy to stay out there forever! Also watch out for mountain bikers!! So pretty and a great view of the river and if you get high enough you can see the top of hood!

Awesome snow hike with easy parking and a choose-your-own-adventure network of trails. We didn’t get much of a view of the Columbia river due to low visibility but imagine it would be beautiful on a clear day. This trail is exposed to the elements so check wind and weather conditions before going.

My wife and I completed the hike of the Coyote Wall Trail. Windy! It was a nice walking trail and although they rated this trail as difficult, it is fairly very easy. It looked more like a great biking trail than a hard hiking trail. Beautiful views of the Columbia River and some sweet microclimate of oak trees were well worth the walk. Yes, it is very windy and the weather can change on you in a second, as this happened to us. Sunny one minute and raining the next. Make sure you prepare for any weather( as you should always, living in Oregon). I would recommend this trail to everyone.

Great hike, late August so it was warm, not a lot of shade. This would be a great hike in the spring when there would be lots of wild flowers

Beautiful!

A great mountain biking spot with several fun trail options. I avoid it once summer sets in because there's no shade at all. You can ride here all through the winter though!

Almost stepped on two rattlers about two feet apart. be careful on this trail, boots and pants.

This is a great hike but will definitely wear you out. Great vistas. Be aware that it's brutal to do in the summer...the heat is intense! Best to be done when it's not a scorcher of a day.

Found this trail while actually trying to look for another. Being a newbie, I just did out and back of about 3.1 miles solely on the paved road, never taking the steeper, longer dirt trail loop. I really liked it!!! Hot, with no shade in summer. Really glad I had water with me. Pretty isolated, which I like cuz I could enjoy the trail in solitude, but I think I would prefer this trail with a companion. Parking lot was moderately full, but saw noone on the trail except at the beginning and end.

Open and exposed the whole hike, bring plenty of water and sunscreen. I enjoy open hikes get my tan on.

Best to go early spring. Saw osprey and a couple of hawks!

Beautiful views & flowers. Different flavor than a lot of the closer to Portland CRG trails. Not much shade along the way so be wary if it is a hot day. Teenager couldn't make the steeper part of the trail so we had to cut it short. Will be back.

Wonderful views. The wind along the cliff was pretty strong. There were very few people out there which made it nice and peaceful. I would definitely hike this again.

an amazing trail....lots of wild flowers and a few small streams.
please stay on trails as they are trying to restore.
take a hammock with you to hang on the small wooded area at the top view point.
great place to relax. it offers great views and not heavily populated.

Great Hike!! Beautiful

Please! This is tough terrain for dogs paws. My poor large breed dogs' paw pads were literally torn off 2 miles in. I have never had this happen to a dog of mine. He was in so much pain and still is 3 days later. Bring booties or bandages if you take your dog here. We are both traumatized by the experience. Other than that- awesome hike.