Cowlitz Divide Trail

Cowlitz Divide Trail is a 10.7 mile out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October.

Mt. Rainier Entrance Fee

Not the original trail planned due to the forest fires going on but my main goal was to hike and we accomplished that. As a beginner hiker I have to say I love a challenge and considering I knew absolutely nothing about this trail I was ready.

It's definitely a trail that is not busy at all. So doing this with my girlfriends was perfect because you don't have to worry about being stuck behind anyone or being too slow for others. The first 30 min you come across beautiful scenery with forest life all around you. Eventually making your way to a log wood bridge. I take it this is when you will first see water flow underneath you but given that I went in September right after a hot summer, everything is dried up.

My friends and I walked for a good 2 1/2 miles and I have to say we mostly ONLY saw trees and forest life. We did come across some neat critters (frogs, snakes, spiders, etc.) and even got to hear the flow of water somewhere but never got to see any.

We did start this trail way too late in the day and after hitting 3:30 pm decided it was best to turn around. This is a trail we all plan to do again and after doing some research when I got home, discovered you start hitting some views about 4 miles in.

We started at the NP campground and visited the river and falls there. Very nice.
The Cowlitz Divide trail itself was not spectacular in that you're in the woods the whole time, and it terminates at the Wonderland Trail. We took a right there and got a good view of Rainer over a pretty meadow after about 1.5-2 additional miles.
We were pretty beat up by the time we returned to the campsite.