Copper Creek Trail

Copper Creek Trail is a 3.3 mile out and back trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,486 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great hike in the snow! It was raining for the first section until we made our way past the mines. Then the snow started to get deep. It went from 1 foot to 2 feet deep from there to all the way around the ridge loop. The ridge was very windy at the south end (lowest point). We just used poles and micro spikes and managed fine. The trail is marked with red markers on the trees so it kept us on track without needing to check the gps which was nice.

Great trail to do during spring or summer. We enjoyed it; although, it is steep. My favorite part was the beginning with the bridges and greenery along the creek. Once at the top it was a nice view to stop and enjoy lunch. I encourage good ankle support as it was rocky and is steep.

Surprisingly beautiful, relentlessly steep, limited views, with plenty of 500+ yo trees all around. A NOS maintained trail to boot. Terminates at the saddle where right may actually form a lollipop and left is the mountaineers trail to Lightning Peak. Just in case you wanted something else besides Mt Rose.

This trail is definitely not Moderate. About 2000 Vertical feet elevation gain. Very strenuous. Beautiful forest, wildlife and fungi.

Great trail with exceptional scenery. Have been up some of the trail in the past but never ventured to the top. Creek is dry right now on the lower part which is a bummer because it is incredibly beautiful when it’s full and flowing. Trail is well groomed but narrow in some parts. It is a relentless climb with no plateaus. Your legs need to be prepared for the ascent and descent; it is steep. It is 3.2 miles each direction. Signage was a little confusing. You come to a sign that says “Trail Ends .1” with a trail to the left. That is not completion of Cooper Creek Trail. It literally means that little trail to the left ends in .1 mile. Continue to the right up to the Ridgeline Loop. You can go either way around Ridgeline Loop and end back at main trail. Now you’ve completed the Copper Creek Trail! My husband and I took our 7 and 12 year olds. Husband and 12 year old made it to Ridgeline Loop. 7 year old just couldn’t go any further and I stopped with him just before the top. All in all it was a great hike! An objective rating of this hike would be moderate to hard. Reasoning: Steep, unrelenting climb. Length is average, trail in good condition. For the person of average physical condition and an occasional hiker, this would be hard. My husband even said he thought this trail to be more difficult than lower part of Mount Ellinor due to steepness. He will use it to prepare for elk camp.

I wouldn't consider this trail hard and not moderate but very nice and super clean

Beautiful scenic hike as the trail follows Copper Creek at a steep incline. Bleeding Hearts as well as other flowers are beginning to bloom. Several people brought their dogs I brought my 11-year-old daughter :-). We followed two trails that bring you to old copper mine caverns. We really enjoyed this hike and are looking forward to exploring the area again later this summer with “the teenager”.

Steep incline beyond the creek. No real views but the scenery is incredible. Not sure about the woman who said this is “easy” - sounds to me like she’s bragging about her fitness as opposed to giving a true assessment of the trail. Enjoy!

This is a great hike. The first third follows cascading Copper Creek and then pulls away into the forest. The trail is well marked and well maintained while still being rugged. The approach to the ridge is beautiful with narrow views toward Cushman. The ridge is also narrow, offering limited views to the northwest.

This was a beautiful hike, especially the first half of it, like something out of the hobbit . However, according to our gps software, the hike is actually 3.2 one way, and is a pretty sustained incline the entire way. We did it thinking the total route was 3.2 just be prepared

Light rain today but enjoyed this hike nonetheless. Didn't expect views on a cloudy day so wasn't disappointed! Although not much distance, the steep grade makes for good exercise in a setting of lush green forest. Beautiful creek the first half. Stretched my legs out on Shady Lane trail after (starts across the road), a nice flat counterpoint to this one.

My sister and I hiked this today. It started out sunny this morning and the the clouds rolled in so we couldn't see anything. We didnt see hardly anyone on the way up. We did see a black bear though! No snow. It's a decent hike but not marked very well as far as signs go. comes up to a Y and we stayed right....not sure where the left takes you. when you go about 2 miles you'll come to a sign that says ridgeline loop...you can go to left or right and it will lead you right back to the main trail. This trail I would say is moderate, but in some areas I think it's pretty steep. pretty much straight on up...not very many plateaus. All in all it was beautiful...but not really any views at the top.

Make sure that if you’re going to hike this trail, you have a car that can withstand driving over a lot of deep potholes. If you do, it’s a great hike! It’s a bit chilly at the top, but the snow is melted. It’s steep, but doable. I highly suggest it!

The snow is gone and the water is flowing fast. Great hike with the family, not too hard I would have rated this hike easy.

Covered in snow after about 1/4 mile up, as deep as 3 feet deep by the top. The woods and creek are beautiful, but no real views to speak of. Suddenly you see a sign that says trail ends in .1. Then it just abruptly ends. Back down through the snow with no real payoff.

Thu Jan 17 2019

1.6 mile climb with little or no respite. Definitely a workout. Trail was in good condition, with little impact from recent storms.

Fri Jan 11 2019

I have to say there are not enough adjectives to describe the majesty of this trail. Allow enough time to just take it all in.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Beautiful greenery and good workout

Sun Dec 23 2018

took the dog and a friend for a hike up copper creek trail, first mile was no snow to little dustings, around the loop it was 12 inches on left side of loop and 5 inches on right, this trail is on the upper side of moderate only because some spots require good balance and a slow pace or else a ankle could become twisted, spikes would be good for upper section about 1 mile into hike

Sun Oct 21 2018

Went with my boys and their grandparents! Wonderful scenic views along the way!

Sun Jul 29 2018

I’m giving five stars because I finished it. Oh my butt kicker.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Very relentless hike up the whole way. Got towards the top where the ridge loop is and we were hearing really strange noises that freaked out our daughter. Turned around right before the end. Thought downhill would be easier but very tiring. 5 hours total with lots of stopping to rest. Would rate this hard not a moderate hike.

Sun May 13 2018

A challenging hike indeed. I loved the water flowing down the mountain at the beginning part of the trail and got some pretty good shots. The views at the top were obstructed but it was such a peaceful and wonderful hike.

Sun Mar 04 2018

deep snow towards the top but an adventure forsure!

Mon Feb 19 2018

Amazing hike! We went on 2/18 and the weather was sunny with a little snow. The river is beautiful and the copper mines are pretty awesome. Make sure to bring strong flashlights and extra batteries if you want to explore them. The hike up is all incline and beautiful along the way. There snow was deep and icy towards the top so bring hiking poles. The trail was closed, and for good reason, where it leaves the river to go up to the ridge. We will definitely be back in late spring to see the views from the ridge.

Mon Jan 15 2018

This is an excellent hike if you like roaring streams, old-growth forests and don't mind some relentless grade. The great views are not panorama, but places to stop and look at a gorgeous roaring stream that is dropping over 2,300 feet in less than 2.5 miles. The forest and the stream are both unspoiled, and the payoff view is beautiful. My daughter and I walked the entire loop in about 4.5 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it (in January!). We only had short stretches with about 2" of snow. It's an absolute treasure.

Sun Aug 20 2017