Cook Hill Loop is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bingen, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,261 feet Route Type: Loop

private property

Do not park on Jackson street. I think it’s all private property there, the locals don’t like it, and there’s no room anyways. Park right after Jackson street on Cook Underwood road (coming from 14). There is a large turnaround there with lots of room. I recorded the whole loop as 9 miles with 2900 ft elevation gain, not the 11 miles and 4300 ft the description currently says. I found the trail to be a pleasant surprise, especially since other reviewers depicted it as a tick-infested hades-hole overgrown with poison oak tentacle plants that seek out hiker’s faces to smother them to death. I only found that partly to be true, and things were fairly straight forward after the giant spinning saw blade test. Just remember the penitent man will pass. Seriously, I did this hike on July 14 2019 and it was lovely. I saw no ticks and although the poison oak demographic well represented in certain districts, I could easily walk past it. Maybe one of the disappointed reviewers came later and poisoned most of the poison oak and fought/seduced the tick queen single handedly to win freedom for us all. I plucked some plants up myself with a cutting stick. There were a few viewpoints and they were all great. Yes, man-made towers and things corrupted the final viewpoint but still the view was spectacular with Mt Rainier, Mt Hood and Hood River. The only real danger I faced was spending too much time at the top viewing the heaven-inspired glory and eating too many wild strawberries. Also, the trail disappeared just short of the Cook Hill summit in the open field. I had to depend on the app to guide me. I did the whole loop, up the east way and down the west. The flowers were plentiful and wonderful. Come and get your blessing.

Not sure there is an actual trail here... looks sort of like an overgrown road infested with ticks. I’d consider the Mosier Plateau as a better alternative. And yes, the Mosier Plateau includes Mosier Falls!

This hike is pretty lame. It’s mostly a road walk and there are ticks and poison oak EVERYWHERE. There isn’t really a “payoff” since the top are cell towers in a clear cut. For the amount of work and shear effort involved - it’s steep as hell and the poison oak Is totally unavoidable. I had about 15 ticks on my legs at one point, and it was high level, constant stress. In another instance I checked down my pants and found several on my legs attempting to burrow for a little blood feast. So not worth it.

On a busy wildflower weekend we were the only ones on the trail.

it's a hard up-hill slog to some great views and amazing meadows. this trail isn't all that well maintained, so it's easy to jump trail. I'd say that, if you just want views and meadows, you can go right at the first junction and do it like an out and back. the loop is really nice, but just sayin'

Sunday, April 29, 2018