Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Comet and Christine Falls

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(574)
Mount Rainier National Park

Comet and Christine Falls is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Longmire, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,004 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Moderate to difficult hike with steep and rocky portions leading to gorgeous waterfall views. There are parts that are a bit of a grind. Poles are a good thing for getting back down if you have bad knees.

after about a half mile, most of the trail disappears. deep snow and one bridge is rather sketchy. once past the bridge, snowshoes are a must. sinking in to our waist without them. it's not packed down at all. also looks like an avalanche hit about 1 mile into the trail.

The bridge was completely packed with snow and probably not safe to cross. We made it about .4 miles to the bridge, before turning back . I would not advise using this trail without snowshoes!

Snow, snow and more snow. Did this hike in summer and decided to try in winter. Absolutely worth it. Made it to the falls. Fresh powder coming down as we made our way up. I'd recommend snow shoes if you have them or at the very least spikea. Hiking poles were came in handy. Saw a total of 5 people on trail besides us. One group had a guy wearing timberland boots, baggy Jean's and an open zip up with just a tank top on. If he made it up there, you can too.

icy

There is tons of snow on the trail. Bring snow shoes. We managed to get to the falls but had to pack down a trail to reach because the snow was 3ft plus in depth. My whole leg would get swallowed. Overall not bad. Only few people on the trail. If you plan to do this be prepared! Waterproof boots, gaiters, micro spikes or crampons, warm winter clothing, sunglasses, hiking sticks. Ice was breaking near the falls and snow sometimes would slide down the rock wall on the fall side. I wouldn’t recommend going under it or anything. Very beautiful! Be safe out there everyone

icy

Well kept trail. Gorgeous hike and beautiful water falls.

icy

Not icy enough for spikes or anything crazy like that just have to be a bit cautious! Beautiful!

My first hike as a Washingtonian. Three miles of uphill and worth every step! The hike back out was downhill and almost made it two trails in one. Definitely a good hike for waterfall lovers!

icy

did this with the girlfriend. its a great trail but kind of strenuous if youre not prepared. if your scared of heights i wouldn't do it either. but lots of fun

icy

Enjoyed the day. My girlfriends words were “ball buster” haha. Really pretty, steep climb but worth it.

Really nice trail, little icy after the bridge by the falls, compact snow and ice farther past the the falls. Glad I had my micro spikes and poles

icy

Had a beautiful hike up to Comet Falls today, the falls were gorgeous. The hike up and down was a little scary with compact snow and ice on the trail part that climbed one of the steeper areas. I probably should have brought hiking poles for stability but this was a great workout and an all around lovely hike.

Gorgeous hike! We ended up going about 15 miles round trip and had amazing views of Rainier

This was an amazing hike however if you are just starting out this hike is def more hard then moderate but if you can get over the heavy inclines the views and fall is soooooo worth it. My family and I hiked this yesterday and even though we are super sore from the inclines we would totally do this again and soon. Breathtaking!!!!!

The falls are awesome. Today was fine just a little bit mud, butnot enough that you couldn’t wear sneakers. 90% of the trail was dry. There are parts that are a bit of a grind. I agree with the one person that said it was moderate to hard. But it is so well worth it. Poles are a good thing for getting back down if you have bad knees. There are a few steps that can be big. I am ready to go again right now. The part I did was the first six miles. The rest was because I forgot to turn off recording and drove for a ways.