Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Comet and Christine Falls

Comet and Christine Falls is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until October.

Moderate to difficult hike with steep and rocky portions leading to gorgeous waterfall views.

hiked August 2018 ... there were a massive amount of flies through most of the hike.

We loved this hike today. I wish we could have finished it, but after the first few miles it got too icy to attempt in just hiking boots, so we didn’t make it to Comet Falls. The part we did was beautiful and we’d like to go back with the proper equipment. The is some snow on the trail but it would be passable if not for the ice toward the top.

amazing views and the falls are awesome!!!

great hike!!! loved it.
get there early there is very limited parking at the trail head.

This was a beautiful hike but definitely difficult. If you’re not a frequent exerciser in great shape, I’d say try something else. The incline was pretty intense with not a lot of flat area breaks. Not sure I’d say the view at the top was worth it but it was nice to look at.

One of the best! Start getting into the snow near the top of comet falls, before Van Trump trail.

To quote someone we met at the top of the trail, “This is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.”

love love loved this hike. I am active and prepared... those that are sight seeing this hike is harder. I did do this one with my 12 yr old son. views all the way along the trail. a lot uphill. well maintained trail though. fall colors spurt out through the entire hike! so much to see! overall, loved this hike more than any of the 7 mini and I have done this year!

Great hike overall but more difficult than I was lead to believe from various reviews on here. Previous reviews say the first mile is steep, but I say the entire 2.5 miles is steep and can be more difficult at certain points. Good news is that there are plenty of places to pull off to the side to catch your breath and take a break. The view of Christine Falls is 100% worth the trek. If you hike further up you can get a nice cool mist from the falls to help you cool off and is quite refreshing. Parking is scarce so get there early or drive a few feet from the main parking lot to find an overflow lot to park at.

This was a Great Hike, especially because the weather was good! Must hike all the way for the best rewards! Lots of elevation gain, but with spectacular views at every level. Even got views of Mount Saint Helens.

Teaser views of the summit along the way, as well as various smaller waterfalls, before reaching Comet Falls. Continue past the falls to Mildred Point for a great view of Rainier, glaciers/glacial streams, and the upper valleys. Well worth the visit! Best visited in late summer/early fall when the snow has melted in the upper valleys.

This is one really tall waterfall. Using a trekking pole was helpful on the way down to keep my 50-year-old knees from getting sore. If you are short on time or stamina, the view from the bridge ABOVE Christine Falls is very worthwhile and about 10 minutes from the trail head.

When you can’t see the mountain, this hike is a nice alternative. Beautiful falls, and a moderate - easy hike. There are a lot of switchbacks and very poor signage so it can be very tiring if you don’t know where you’re going, and continue past the falls to the meadows area. Saw lots of kids on the trail, so it is very family friendly

Great pay off once at Comet falls with teaser falls along the way. Probably best in spring with more water and wild flowers. Not too strenuous. Really enjoyed it.

The waterfall at the end made it well worth it!

Great hike, not a lot of parking. the falls were awesome.

We loved this hike! Moderately trafficked, but parking is minimal. Nice steady incline to keep heart rate up. Beautiful hike even when cloudy, though I can only imagine what this would be like with a clear sky! The falls and the meadow are gorgeous. Took us 3 hours to Van Trump and back with a snack break.

We got to the parking area maybe 8:00 or so and it was a Sunday. We got almost the last parking spot in the lot
Such mixed reviews. Definitely uphill all the way with some tall step ups. Christine Falls were very pretty.
We hiked most of the way and saw no one.
The Comet Falls were one of the prettiest we’ve ever seen. Really spent some time there and were alone some of the time.
Beautiful hike!

Absolutely worth the nearly all uphill hike. When I first walked the trail, I mistaked the waterfall at the second bridge to be Comet Falls. While these falls are tall and beautiful in their own right, when you follow the trail up and over the last ridge, nothing compares to that feeling of seeing Comet Falls through the pine trees. Comet Falls is the most beautiful waterfall I've ever seen, stretching over 300 feet into the sky. There are small trails that can be climbed down to stand directly in front of its base and get unobstructed views. This trail is complete with a family of pikas, beautiful views, and a good workout to be had.

Awesome hike!!! Followed water all the way to Comet Falls, taking advantage of all the overlooks. When we got to Comet we stood near enough to get doused with the spray. Loved it!!

I’m new to hiking so I wasn’t sure how I’d do on this one being all uphill but it wasn’t so hard to get to Comet Falls and it was beautiful all the way. We went ahead and went all the way to Van Trump Park, which for me was quite a challenge. My phone tracked me going up 150 flights in less than 4 miles. At the top we saw some mountain goats in the distance. It was beautiful up there.

All uphill with a few straight aways...Its best to be in shape before taking this hike. Well worth the views! Real rocky watch your step. The jog down was nice

Beautiful hike! Took about 3-4 hours in and out. Stopped a lot along the way to enjoy the views. Moderate incline going in. Good trail, rocky and rooty at the elevation. This was not a difficult hike but not for novices.

Amazing hike but little bit steep with rocky stairs and roots. Surprisingly it was bugs free! Parking was good.

Amazing hike and well worth the effort! Feels a lot longer than 3.2 miles. I would recommend trekking poles for coming back down the trail due to some of the steps. they helps steady you. trail is in fantastic condition and there were no bugs. parking sucks!

This review is WAY off on mileage. We hiked this today and recorded 2.2 miles to the falls ONE way.
Everyone’s comments are correct this is moderate to hard hike. Lots of stone and wood steps and rocky terrain, plus steep sections that are helped with switchbacks.
We pushed on the extra .75 miles up to the Van Trump part of the park. We had incredible views of Rainier even though it was a little smokey from the current fires. Well worth the extra push.
Parking got full by around 10 so come early. Then opened up again around 2:30. Bring lots of water on hot days.
Not that many mosquitoes, but annoying little black flies that didn’t bite.

*3.8 Miles to Comet Falls, the Trail winds next to the river, which provides ambient noise. Trail is beat down with roots exposed. Definitely well trod. Still, beautiful views!

Excellent moderate hike. a bit steep and rocky, runs along the river, several waterfalls and plenty of mist at the end to cool off with

Most beautiful falls but it’s a little bit steep. You should come early so that you have to take pictures. Because everything is so majestic!