Coldwater Lake Trail [CLOSED] is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Toutle, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 777 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Note: Trail is open for passive walk throughs, the parking lots are closed. Gorgeous trail following along the northern side of Coldwater Lake. Trail can be made into a much longer loop at about 4.5 miles in. If you'd like to do the longer loop, however, it is recommended starting from a trailhead on Spirit Lake Highway and following the lake counterclockwise. Please see nearby trail "South Coldwater Trail to Lakes Trail Loop" for the full loop route. Start at the trailhead just left of the boat launch.

The trailhead and boat launch area are reopened as of May 15th, 2020.

closed

My husband and I tried to do this hike since it appeared to be open to hikers willing to walk in but it’s gated off and closed to hikers (and anyone else). Still a beautiful drive to get there though

Beautiful walk, be sure to check yourself for ticks afterwards

Nice trail... it was relatively quiet and only saw a few other people when we hiked it. Had some pretty views of the lake and we saw some deer. However, I would only rate it moderate for its length.

only did a partial out and back of the trail but it was a beautiful day for a gorgeous hike!

Beautiful day for a hike. Some snow towards the end. A few muddy spots but not bad.

Completed 3/16 - great trail! No snow, just some muddy spots. Parking lot is totally plowed and didn’t have any trouble on the roads getting there

It's a beautiful view, the snow on the hills and Mt. St Helen's is breathtaking. I was not able to hike the whole loop. I did not have snow shoes, I got to the point I was sinking in 2.5ft every step I took, I decided to head back instead.

One of my favorite trails ever. Amazing in the fall, spotted two large elk from the trail. One of the few areas that are dog friendly (on leash)

The clouds were low and it was rainy. We were able to hike in about 2.7 miles before a large waterfall that was raging pretty strong stopped us from crossing to the other side of the trail. There was no bridge or another path to get around it. It was a beautiful hike and we’ll definitely go back in the summer when the water isn’t flowing as heavy to finish our hike.

Nice trail. Good views even when it’s cloudy.

Great trail. Definitely coming back to do the loop another day. Had two deer encounters, one in which a mom and baby were on either side of the trail so we had to back off for a while as it was on the way back and we couldn't just turn around. started hiking around 12:45pm and returned around 6:30 (we did make a few stops and have to wait for the deer encounter, so total time actually hiking was closer to 5 hours.) 6/11/19

Love this trail along the lake. Cougar warnings were posted when I did this last month. Went about 2 miles in and turned back. I'd consider that part of the trail 'easy'

awesome trail, very good conditions. Just got a minor scary event when spotted cougar prints. I wish I could have taken pictures but I was more preoccupied of getting off his territory. be safe and enjoy the hike

This trail should be called Snake Lake because we saw 6 snakes during the hike with one of them in the parking lot. All the snakes were garter snakes so nothing too much to worry about. The trail was ok, nothing too exciting but you have a nice view of the lake for most of the trail. We saw 3 people once we left the trailhead the whole day. Lots of wildflowers in bloom now and if you're like me that means allergies. I had a rash break out midway on my neck and itchy red eyes by the end.

Went on 6/22. Beautiful hike and a ton to take in. The lake was gorgeous, wildflowers were abundant, stream crossings in several places, and a waterfall just past the trail end to make the trek worth it.

Beautiful hike. Flat. Went 6/22 and there were tons of flowers in bloom.

Great trail to go on with the kids, until a bicyclist need to pass by on the very narrow trail. Signs say no dogs and people bring them anyway, which is kind of frustrating. Otherwise, most people are nice and it’s very calming to be out there.

Sat May 25 2019

We did this hike on a misty Memorial Day Weekend. Very few people were on the trail- a few folks were fishing off the dock near the trail head, but only saw 2 other hikers. I agree with a prior review that the trails was on the easy side of moderate. there are a few brooks to hop over, and a little mud, but the trail barely gains any elevation. The lake is pretty and there are plenty of wild flowers. Bugs were not an issue since it was cooler. There is a bathroom a few miles in... outside the bathroom was a random deer carcass that had been pretty well picked over. Its a good hike for beginners since it is damn near impossible to get lost...If you decide to do it as a loop instead of 'out and back' then there is a section of road you have to walk on. Still, this was a good time!

Fri May 24 2019

Beautiful hike and scenery. Got to trailhead at the boat launch at around 9:00 am on a Thursday morning before Memorial Day. Not many cars at all - mostly boaters. Only saw three hikers on the trail total out and back. Took the north shore trail. Good shape with only a few muddy patches and very minor stream crossings that were easy to rock-hop. Hike is mild. No real overall elevation change, but a number of ups and downs. I had camping reservations at Shovel Lake so took the spur Trail 211 to “The Lakes”. Trail is in very good shape (no snow on the portion I hiked) with only minor blowdown and stream crossings. That said, grade is moderate and consistent. I only made it about halfway before my body and legs decided it was too much. Should not be too much of a problem for someone in a little better shape. I’d love to come back and make it to The Lakes, but the river, falls, valley, and Coldwater Lake were well worth the drive from Seattle and effort of the hike. Couple last notes: * the hike is quite exposed for a majority of it. I was hiking on a sunny day and it was pounding. Definitely bring protective clothing or sunscreen. * Bugs were not bad. Some mosquitoes in the wooded areas along Coldwater Lake, but didn’t stop and didn’t get bit. * Saw some tiny frogs on the trail (you could hear the croaking at the trailhead) and a garter snake and deer while hiking

Sun May 19 2019

This hike is great!

Sun May 19 2019

Great hike with very nice trails. So beautiful there

Fri May 10 2019

Trails in good shape right now. Beautiful views. Lots of Elk to be seen.