Colchuck Lake Trail

Colchuck Lake Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

This is a challenging hike with beautiful scenery in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area of Washington State. This alpine lake is accompanied by the twin spires of Dragontail Peak and Colchuck Peak at the far end of the lake. Colchuck Lake Trail starts at Stuart Lake trailhead off of Forest Service Road 7601, which can be accessed from Icicle Creek Road. The parking area can be busy, as visitors access the Enchantments and Stuart Lake from this trailhead. A northwest forest pass is required. The hike starts out with an easy mile and a half, creek side walk through the forest. At some points along this portion of the hike you will catch a glimpse of Mountaineer Creek. After the walk through the woods, you will cross the creek on a bridge before beginning the first real incline of the hike. After a series of rocky switch backs you will reach the trail junction for Stuart, and Colchuck lakes. Stay to the left and you will happen upon another log bridge, stunning vistas that act as the gateway to the wilderness. You will stay to the right after crossing the bridge, and walk along the creek before your next big push uphill. The climb remains pretty consistent rocky, and with tree roots but manageable. You will have a few areas with views perfect for photo opportunities on your way to the lake. Once you reach Colchuck lake, you will be rewarded with beautiful views of the blue/green lake with the peaks towering behind it. The trail continues past Colchuck Luck up Aasgard Pass to the Enchantment lakes if you choose to extend your hike. If not, return the way you come.

love it here so much

We went slow and took breaks as needed - it wasn’t as difficult as I expected! The beauty is incredible, both at the top and on the way up. Definitely recommend!

This place is absolutely beautiful, the hike up is great. I ventured out on the trail at 4 am to get to the lake by first light. this was more than enough time. Hiking times personally were 2 hrs and 45 minutes up and 2 hrs down. Highly recommend this one!

Amazing hike. The Alpine Lake is something to see. I would say this hike is difficult but worth it

We went last September and still talk about this hike!! We took it slow and had lunch at the lake. The weather started to turn on the way back down, so we were glad we had layers.

Perfect fall day, still some larches hanging on, no micro spikes needed.

This trail is my favorite out of all the trails I've hiked. I hiked it at 3AM so we could be up at the lake for sunrise and the way up was easy for me. The sunrise reflecting off of the water and lighting up the mountain behind it was beautiful. The way down was an asskicker but that may have been because I was running off of a 30 minute power nap :) I would recommend for any semi-experienced hiker. I saw some kids going up and I knew they would be exhausted by the end. About 3 hours total of hiking for my group but we were moving pretty quick.

Started at 10AM, Finished at 3PM. Shed layers on the way up and put them back on at Colchuck Lake. Pretty cold up at the top, not a ton of snow on the ground, trails weren't too bad. May get worst with the precipitation coming in soon. Larches looked really cool! Definitely a good hike though.

geocaching

Winter conditions are moving in. While micros are not necessary, things are freezing up and I would recommend them.

Beautiful time of year, the larches are practically glowing!