Colchuck Lake Trail

Colchuck Lake Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Day hike to Colchuck lake or Lake Stuart. Trail continues past Colchuck up Asgard pass to the Enchantment lakes.

Don't let the 90+ degree weather keep you grounded. This gorgeous hike is mostly shaded and the chilly water of lake Colchuk is a fitting reward for a challenging Climb.

Beautiful the whole way.

Took 6 hrs total. With plenty of stops for water.

Bring at least 32-48oz water per person.

Awesome hike! Next time will camp overnight and hike up to Assgard:)

We hiked up to Colchuck Lake and all the way up to Aasgard Pass. The lake is beautiful, and great to take a swim in. The is also another small lake next to Colchuck, that's very beautiful as well! I would say the hike to Colchuck is moderate. Going up to Aasgard Pass is definitely hard, and not for people who do not exercise on a regular basis or with bad knees. The hike (or climb) to Aasgard is techinal difficult. You walk on rocks all the way up, and the trail is difficult to see at all times. The view all the way up is fantastic! Colchuck just gets smaller and smaller. At the top we saw a lot of mountain goats, and many beautiful small lakes and ice blue pools. It was amazing! Be sure to bring A LOT of water if you go all the way up, and count on spending 8-14 hrs. We spent 11.5 hrs and had two long stops to eat and enjoy views (probably 2hrs all together). Some were slower than us, and some faster. I would not do this hike alone.

I thought this was a "Moderate" hike and see that it was actually a "Hard" hike. This makes me feel better, because my niece and I just did this hike yesterday, and I was like "Ok, I'm out of shape!"
Ok, up until the last mile, it was just a steady, moderate incline, and then it was a stair master to the top. But MAN WAS IT WORTH IT! Surreal water color, enormous peaks, epic views all the way up. We planted ourselves on a flat rock, ate a delightful lunch, with a great view of the flat top rock that people were jumping off of. It wasn't terribly hot, but after getting sweaty on the hike up, we had decided to take a dip after lunch. Plenty of spots to enter the glacial water around the lake. We hiked down, found a spot and jumped in (ok, my niece dove in, I waded a bit, then dove in). In a word, cold. Very cold. But the clearest water I've ever been in, akin to the waters of the Caribbean (but cold. Very cold). After a few minutes, the feeling in my hands and feet came back to me and I swam around for 10 minutes or so. For a Monday, the lake was rather crowded, surprisingly so. But we had a great time chatting with different groups of people and everyone was friendly (a family let us borrow their bug spray, which was so helpful! BRING BUG SPRAY folks).
The trek down didn't feel great on my delicate knees, but I prevailed and was happy and tired by the end. Would definitely recommend this hike & plan to go back next year with my husband! (Take a dip in the lake, folks...it's cold, but so worth the experience!)

It was very difficult considering we backpacked our 2 year old son, but definitely worth it once we got to the top. It was farther then the 8 miles that we expected. It is very heavily trafficked. But everyone was very friendly. Would love to go back, maybe without the heavy baby next time! :)

Difficult as described. Lots of steep incline through heavily rocky area like an Ultimate-StairMaster. Bring extra water as you'll certainly be getting that workout you haven't had in months (like me). We underestimated water and were kicking ourselves on the way down. The view at the top is certainly worth it. Water is a little shockingly cold for the faint of heart but we had a nice, quiet nap at the lake and it was very peaceful. Again, if you're a beginner you may want the next day to rest as you're gonna be very sore. I would go again!