Colchuck Lake Trail

Colchuck Lake Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Day hike to Colchuck lake or Lake Stuart. Trail continues past Colchuck up Asgard pass to the Enchantment lakes.

Started at 10AM, Finished at 3PM. Shed layers on the way up and put them back on at Colchuck Lake. Pretty cold up at the top, not a ton of snow on the ground, trails weren't too bad. May get worst with the precipitation coming in soon. Larches looked really cool! Definitely a good hike though.

geocaching

Winter conditions are moving in. While micros are not necessary, things are freezing up and I would recommend them.

Beautiful time of year, the larches are practically glowing!

This was so beyond beautiful but way too many people. I left at 6am on Sunday morning and started with atleast 20 others and on the way down we say hundreds of people.

Bring gloves and hiking poles as it's a winter wonderland up top. You wont need snow boots or anything as it's not deep but it's cold so bring warm waterproof hiking shoes too.

Also make sure your car can go up without getting stuck the road is pretty gnarly on the way up. I saw a lot of small compact cars do it tho but I wouldn't do it without a truck or 4wd.

This was my first ‘harder’ level hike (just got into hiking this year) - it was a good hike - weather was great (early October) - drove over from eastern Washington - got to the trail by 8 am. There were a few cars there already (on a Wednesday) - most I believe were campers. The three mile dirt road was good, took a family car with no issues, just normal bumpy road. You’ll need a parking pass - The trail is well maintained - went early and didn’t see anyone on the way up the trail but saw a lot when I was heading back down. Typically I don’t stay at the end of the trail too long, usually just eat a snack real quick, take some photos and leave, but this one i stayed a lot longer — amazing amazing view - one of the many reasons why Washington state is one of the prettiest states. I might have to do this hike every year now

Did this one yesterday. Got a late start getting there at 2PM from Seattle; 2.5 hour drive. It don't have an SUV but my car was fine on the gravel road, just watch for potholes. As others have said, this try is at least 9 miles, not 8. It took me about 2.5 hours to complete but I ran parts of it. FYI the top is much colder and windier than the bottom; I was freezing. Bring a decent coat to enjoy the lake. Note that the sun goes behind the mountain at like 4PM so if you want to see the sun on the lake start early. Agree that you need to bring water (not an easy hike) and you should wear hiking shoes because their grip is really good on rocks. Hiking poles help too since elevation gain is 2564 feet. Finally be careful if you are heading back to Seattle at night because the Stephens Pass weather can be tricky. Highly recommend checking the Stephens Pass weather if there is rain nearby and you plan on driving through the pass.

Wow - just wow! This was an incredible hike! I started from the parking lot around 8am and it was way more enjoyable. I hardly saw any people until I was coming back. The parking lot/road wasn't full yet either which was nice!

A few things to note:
- You have to drive 3.6 miles on a gravel road before you reach the trailhead. I did it in my car just fine but there were definitely some big potholes.
- I clocked it at around 4.7 miles by time I got to Colchuck Lake from the trailhead which meant this hike is really closer to 9.4 miles round trip.
- Don't attempt this hike without proper gear such as hiking boots, water, and food. I was surprised by how many people I saw in Nikes with no water or food at all.... that's dangerous!!!
- Don't feed wild animals. I sat down to eat my sandwich on my way down from the lake and at least 10 birds flew over to me which means they are well-trained.