Chiwaukum Creek Trail

Chiwaukum Creek Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,453 feet Route Type: Loop

Mostly burnt forest but what really made me give this trail only one star was for the reason that we bumped into a lady whit 3 dogs whit none whit leash and one charged at us me and my family a pitbull got to my 6 yr old daughter and bit her on the ribs >:( fk this lady and her dogs or hikers who like to hike in public trails whit loose dogs. This so messed up

trail run, first 1.3 miles is gravel road, through private property.

6/21/19 RATTLESNAKE WARNING We didn’t go much further than the trailhead after walking about a mile on gravel/dirt roads but we did see a large rattlesnake along the way. There was a warning at the trailhead that rattlesnakes had been spotted on/near the trail but just know to take the warning seriously and constantly look where you’re walking.

On 4/27 trees still block a lot of the trail other than that a very pleasant hike with not a lot of people .....

4/21/19: hiked to just past the campsite at mile 3.5. flowers are starting to bloom & the water is beautiful. but....... a LOT of blowdown to crawl under/over/around, so it was very slow going. definitely wear long pants, long sleeves, & gloves for blowdown navigation! only saw two other hikers the whole day!

You walk out on a private road past several cabins (there's an easement.) Overall, the trail is well signed and downed trees have been cleared. Just follow the creek! The forest shows signs of recent fire with some new growth. It looked beautiful in winter when we hiked (late November.) I imagine it could be depressing and hot without the shade in summer.

Sat Jun 09 2018

First things to know: you need a national parks pass (not a discovery pass) which you have to get elsewhere. Second, you have to take the lake trail for a mile and a half before getting to the creek trail marker, and no signage points to that. As for the trail itself, it's not well maintained, and many of the trees in the area are burned down. We had to climb over many downed trees, and part of the trail was flooded over, forcing us to climb over some rocks. The views weren't remarkable and we left with a lot of scratches from the overgrown bushes.

Tue May 29 2018

Hiked to the river crossing 7 miles from the TH and back for a round trip of 14 miles. Lots of down timber over the trail and a 20 yard portion of the trail is washed out requiring a slight reroute thru the downed timber and brush. Too much downed timber on the trail for horses and with the recent fires it is also fairly exposed with little shade along the way. The camp site at 3.5 miles would be a good turn around point for a day hike. Also saw a rattle snake at the start of the trail on the way out.

Fri Apr 27 2018

This makes for a great shoulder season hike when other trails are too snowed in. There was a considerable amount of down trees and debris covering the trail from the trail head to the first junction. Pants are recommended. The water is almost always easy to access and many options about for further exploring on and off trail. You hike the first mile and a half on a residential access road passing three or four residences. This is a bit confusing but eventually you hot the trail itself and shortly after that you are in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

Sun Sep 10 2017

For this section of the trail, it's in great condition and there are nice stops near the Creek for breaks. Not much to see though. My father and I continued past where this trail ends and into Chiwaukum lake. For the last two miles the trail is in horrible condition and was incredibly difficult dealing with the brush with the steep trail with full packs on.

Sat Aug 08 2015

Peaceful, no other hikers. All the trees were burned 4 miles in. Depressing. We gave up returned. Saw a rattlesnake

Wed Jun 18 2014

First time on this one. Trail is in great condition to my turnaround at the horse ford/foot log. My hiking partner and I both agreed that the foot log crossing was more than we bargained for. Nice wildflowers and raging creek. My GPS measured it at just shy of 12 out and back. Good family hike.

Wed May 01 2013

trail is moderately scenic, the smell of the ponderosa pines in the lower section of trail is intoxicating, the destination is worthwhile, but the trail condition is not...WARNING!!! As of 2005, the trail above Glacier Creek to Chiwaukum Lake is extremely overgrown with dense brush, and I would not recommend it unless the FS has recently brushed it out. I happened to become seriously injured there, tearing my ACL and MCL there.

Sun May 15 2011

Good trail, lots of variety, challenging with a backpack on.

Sat Nov 03 2018