Chelan Lakeshore Trail

Chelan Lakeshore Trail is a 13.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stehekin, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Directions from Stehekin: The hike takes off along the eastern bank of Lake Chelan. It can also be accessed by traveling up Lake Chelan by boat to the Sawtooth Wilderness. Watch for Prince Creek Campground on the east side of the lake. The Lakeshore Trail begins (ends) at this campground.

Trail is 17 miles, not 13. Minimal elevation change.

This is an amazing trail! Very beautiful, but also this AllTrails resource is incorrect about the mileage and elevation. Distance is 17-18 miles and elevation gain according to the WTA is 4030 feet, which it definitely felt like with the amount of up and down climbing over the course of this trail. Plan on camping at cascade creek or Moore point depending on if you’re doing two nights or one night. Enjoy

Completed this trail from May 4th to May 6th. We took the Lady of the Lake to Prince Creek from Chelan. THe boat departed at 830 am and we arrived at 11 am. It was my second trip and my partners first time backpacking. The weather was a perfect scattered cloud overcast and 75 degrees. I think this was the perfect time of year to go because this trail offers little relief from the sun. Two nalgene bottles would be perfect to hold water, we had one each and made it, but the trail leads you away from the lake for most of the trail, you are able to refill at streams.

The first day we hiked 7 miles and stayed at Meadow Creek. The campsites are up on a hill away from the creek and the lake. There is a toilet but no bear box, so we hung a drybag with our food and set up camp. There was two other groups who camped at this site with us.

The next day we took our time getting up and taking down the camp the next day. Right away we saw many snakes including two rattlers (one of which I nearly stepped on!). This day had less elevation gain and was an easy going 7.5 miles.

The second night we camped at Flick creek which was right on the Lake and the creek. There was two other groups at this site as well.

The next morning we left at 8 am to head the last 2 or 3 miles to Steheiken and realized the restaurant was closed until noon. A burger and beer costs about 20 dollars and it's a great reward after a weekend stay. This trail was perfect for a couple of beginners, and offered lots of wildflowers and amazing views of the lake.

We departed from Prince Creek about noon. It was hot and dry. The trail was very exposed and no shade. I had my black Australia shepherd with me and he began to show signs of heat stroke one mile into the hike. I turned around. Met up with my party a few days later. It was 30 miles from Prince Creek to Stehekin. Other reports are not reflecting this mileage.

We spent the first night in Chelan (staying at the Riverside Inn, which I can recommend). Caught the 8:30 boat to Prince Creek, where we poked around until all the other hikers were ahead of us, hitting the trail about 11:00. The temp was high for May, hitting the 80’s with crystal clear skies. Encountered two rattle snakes along by the way to Moore’s Point. One was pretty big...maybe 4’ and the other was less than 3’ long. The first and larger one mozzied across the trail but the little one just laid in the middle of the trail for several minutes until I brought a trekking pole close to it, then it moved along. These snakes are best left alone and usually get out of your way. We arrived at Moore’s Point about 7:30. We’re not speedy, but we’re steady.

After spending the night at Moore’s Point, we had lunch at Fisk Creek before pressing on to Stehekin, the first person who we encountered was coming out of a cabin, wearing a tie-dye shirt and carrying a guitar. He said that a music festival was going to take place later at the school, along with a potluck. He invited us.

Next, we got cold beer from the general store. Chris, the cashier also invited us to the music/potluck. Well, you don’t have ask me twice, but thank you!

After setting up camp, we got bikes from the bike stand and started the three mile ride past the end of Lake Chelan to the school.

There were about 60-70 people on the lawn, eating and playing games. We met a man who proudly told us that his grandkids are sixth-generation Stehekin residents. Everyone was super nice and hospitable.

We caught the 2:00 boat back to Chelan. A lot of people ordered food from the Stehikin restaurant to eat on the boat. We arrived in Chelan about 6:00 then made the drive back to Seattle.

A lot of people caught the boat at Fields Point. It might save a little time, depending on the direction that you come from, but we really wanted to spend the night in Chelan. If we had more time, we would have visited some wineries.

All in all, this was a great hike, although I might stayed two nights on the trail before arriving in Stehikin. There are a number of good spots to camp.

Beautiful hike that travels 17 miles along the lake Chelan shoreline. We got dropped off at Prince Creek and the first 10 miles were very hot and exposed. With only 2 water stops, make the most of each stop. The last being about 4.5 miles away from Moore Point (Make sure you refill here).

We read a lot about rattle snakes and black bears, while we didn't see any in 96 degree weather, a group behind us did come across one in the brushy part of the trail, so just be aware. We did see plenty of droppings on the trail.

Leaving Moore Point it is a quick 7 miles into Stehiken the last 3 miles are very pleasant being right along the lake. Make sure you save some time and rent bikes and ride up to the bakery before you go.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

We hiked this trail this weekend. It's 17 miles from Prince Creek drop off point to Stehekin. One thing to consider when making your plans is that during the summer when temps are above 95 the boat may not drop you off until noon making your start uphill a bit treacherous. Even the younger hikers (my husband and I are nearing the 60 mark) were overheated and looking for shade.

Meadow rest area at 6.5 miles would have been a nice spot to camp because the miles seem to be going so slow in the heat but we decided to press on a little more, 3.5 miles to Moore Point for the night. I'm glad we did.

The next morning we were able to start off in the coolness of the morning with the sun behind the hills. The 7 miles in to Stehekin was very pleasant. Most of the campgrounds were booked by the time we arrived so we were able to camp in the overflow grounds next to the visitor center.

Another thing to consider is to book an earlier boat home as there's not much to do in Stehekin other than hike and the lake water is way too icey cold to swim.

I'll definitely do this beautiful hike again but in the early spring or fall.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Perfect weather- Memorial Day weekend 2017. Camped at Moore Point after a 10 mile hike. Day 2 was a 7.5 mile day. Would love to spend more time there.....

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

it was great a little harder then I expected but lots of fun

Sunday, February 21, 2016

The ferry dropped us at Prince Creek. We pushed up to bag a few summits, and four days later came back down around Fourmile Creek. We took the Lakeshore Trail up to Stehekin for victuals and RnR. We went back down the Lakeshore back to Prince Creek to catch the ferry again. It was a great week, and I can't wait to do it again.

Friday, June 19, 2015

Beautiful hike, a bit more elevation than anticipated, but a nice trail and awesome views. Definite plus to push on to Moore Point to camp. Great spot on the lake to swim and camp.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

So much to do at Lake Chelan. There are lots of boats during the summer, but this is a huge lake and you can find lots of space. Swim, canoe, kayak, or just watch birds. Hiking is good around here, with the Chelan lakeshore trail among others. But that's another entry.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Great opening season backpacking. Beautiful wildflowers, views and ample wildlife if lucky.

Friday, September 07, 2012

This is actually a 17 mile point to point trail between Stehekin & Prince Creek campground.

Monday, July 16, 2012