Chain Lakes Loop Trail

Chain Lakes Loop Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,820 feet Route Type: Loop

Hike through rock formations and catch views of soaring mountain tops on this trail. There are multiple beautiful blue lakes of all sizes scattered along this trail. Micro spikes and poles are recommended.

We did this hike in the September, started at Artist point followed the route clockwise as suggested, however speaking to many people they do the hike anti-clockwise and come down the stairs first rather than climbing them last. This is the best hike I’ve done so far. It was scenic and beautiful with view points for the entirety of the trail! It was 28 degrees Celsius for our entire hike, such a fantastic place. Some gorgeous lakes and we were lucky enough to hear and spot some Pika. Lots of points you can stop to have lunch which is what we did. Absolutely gorgeous place and the hike wasn’t very difficult either! Would do this again.

icy

Visited on 11/2/2019. Got to Badley trailhead very late at around 1:30pm. Tried to hike clock-wise. As other mentioned, the toad to Artist Point parking lot had closed and from Bagley parking, you’d either take the road or Wild Goose Trail to get to Artist Point. Either way, they were all covered in snow. It took me around 40 minutes and close to 1.7 miles to finally arrive there. Some of the trail steps were pretty icy and slippery. The whole parking lot was covered in inches of snow. Going on the chain lakes trail, most were also covered in layers of snow, with the afternoon sun in the top, the snow was loosen up. However I’d suspect the trail would be quite icy in the morning. Still manageable; if not for starting too late, I would be able to complete it. Micro spikes and poles are required. Talked to a few hikers who completed the loop, they all mentioned that it was very beautiful and many view point. The weather is gorgeous today.

icy

Started at Bagley parking lot and went counterclockwise. Lots of snow (knee deep in some areas), mud and ice, but beautiful views at the top. Well worth it!

The gate is closed, so you have to go around to get into the trail. Trail view is absolutely beautiful from start to the end! Will come back in spring!

Muddy, but great hike! Lots of views!

Loved the scenery, it reminded us heavily of an Iceland trip years ago. Get here early in the day however, for you will be inundated by small children and off leash dogs running everywhere once the families start pouring in around noon.

Kyra, you can park at the Heather base area parking and pick up on trails from there. Go to Recordings on this app and you’ll see how you can! Enjoy the hike if you go! Incredible Beaty up there!

Hi! I am wanting to do this hike but I see that artist point is closed... I am wondering if it is still accessible another way? can we walk from where the road closes or is it too far?

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this... our intent was the little loop at Artist Point... but being knuckleheads when we figured out we were on this particular hike we were up for the adventure. Absolutely stunning scenery! Great well hiked path, but admittedly we started too late in the day & ended up thumbing a ride for the last section because it was dark. (Thank you kind Canadian’s!!!!!). Had a great hike and definitely will do it again... a bit more prepared.

Hiked this trail today 10/6. Finished in 3.5 hours and went clockwise. Gorgeous trail all around, amazing views! A very well maintained trail as well. There were a lot of hikers out today, so go early to avoid the crowds. The last stretch was pretty brutal (wild goose trail). Would suggest this trail to anyone in the area. Just make sure you wear good hiking boots - it was very muddy and rocky at certain points. Very dog friendly! Overall I would say this hike is moderate, not hard as advertised.