Learn more

Cave Hole Trail to Coal Creek Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(44)
Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park

Cave Hole Trail to Coal Creek Falls Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Renton, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 472 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trails aren’t marked as clearly as I would have hoped. Definitely didn’t plan to go on this trail but somehow found our way to coal creek falls which were beautiful and we got to enjoy a snack and our toes in the water. Fairly easy hikes for beginners and fun to veer off on the different trails (if you can figure the map out) :)

I’d say this trail is more easy than moderate especially because there’s not much of an elevation gain. It’s not totally what I expected but it was a great walk/hike. We barely saw anyone on a partly rainy Saturday and I mostly like that there are so many trails you can keep going! We ended up doing 10 miles total and going beyond just this route. The mud was easy to navigate.

Great kid friendly hike! parking lot was almost full when we got there at 10am on a Monday, but since there are so many trail options we didnt see too many on our route. Trail has a slight consistent incline for the first half mile or so but totally doable for my 4 and 8 year olds. The kids had fun exploring the waterfall (go in spring or after heavy rainfall, I have heard the falls dry up in summer and droughts) plenty of little spots for a snack and a water break.

Great little trail, I knew it was right next to the falls so I went there as well, hoping it wouldn’t be dried up but it was. I brought my two dogs, 6 yr old mastiff and 11 yr old Black Mouth Cur. My 11 yr old struggled but made it. Overall we enjoyed it and the dogs are tired, they had plenty to sniff.

Fri Jan 25 2019