Catherine Creek Trail (021)

Catherine Creek Trail (021) is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lyle, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 446 feet Route Type: Loop

The hike takes you past a waterfall, up through rocks and oaks to another waterfall to get to some beautiful views. There is a lot of poison oak, so leave your pant legs on and don't let your hands dangle aimlessly into tall vegetation along the trail. There is an rock arch that seems out of place in the environment, don't plan on getting too close it is clearly marked off. Please note that this trail crosses with many other trails in the area. Please look at map and GPS along the way to stay on the right track. Most people choose to go off track and explore other trails.

I tried this upper section of the trail today because I was read it was rated easy on the app. I did not find it to be easy as there were a few steep hills and it was very rocky in a lot of it with jagged drop off‘s were you had to move to the next section of the trail from a different elevation so for someone like me who is in not the best shape it was manageable but if you were not in any shape and have never hiked A trail before I would not recommend it as it is not flat or smooth. The views are beautiful of Mount Hood and the river and the hills with blowing grass and wildflowers great picture taking area. The lower section by the river was paved and very lovely. They have Porto potties at the start too!

Lovely trail—really enjoyed the lower path closer to the river too.

I thought it was a bit rocky for it to really be an “easy” hike, but it wasn’t too strenuous. The views were gorgeous and there were some wildflowers, but I think I picked a bad time in between bigger blooms. I would definitely hit this trail again though! There was a lot of what I think was poison oak, just based off of pictures, not my expertise by any means.

I definitely recommend this trail; it's a nice easy wildflower walk. Definitely bring extra water though, as there is almost no shade in this area. Also watch out for bees at the trailhead. We had lunch there and they didn't bug us too much (no pun intended), but be aware.

Perfect for little ones or those who need a mellow, short hike along the gorge. Pretty meadow and Columbia River gorge views. Lots of balsam root out right now. Pretty rocky for over half the trail, but nothing too bad for pups. Can be windy.

Beautiful location right near the river , perfect for young kids - fairly flat , no big drop offs. Wild flowers everywhere !

Beautiful hike, many wildflowers. It was raining and had plenty of mud on the trail, but not difficult. Nice bench near the falls to eat lunch.

I did a combo of this easy loop then traversed to Coyote Wall, went north, then back down. The trails are perfectly connected and well maintained. A lot of snakes, though, so walk loudly and keep your eyes peeled. Also, a couple down power lines near Catherine Creek on the east side near the fences, so keep your kids close. So green and so beautiful.

Windy but very pretty.

3/18/19 Took our family of 6 (kids 11-17) and our 2 dogs. Great hike. Trail is clear, in good condition. Wild flowers starting to blossom. Amazing views of Mt. Hood and the Gorge!

Mon Jan 07 2019

This was a great hike, would do it again on a cooler day, the lack of tree canopy makes it too warm on a hot day.

Sat Nov 03 2018

Be sure to include Tracy Hill on this hike. It's a beautiful meadow and a great spot to have lunch.

Sat Oct 06 2018

THIS HIKE WAS EPIC!! We got off trail a bit and went up and up and up and then got back on the trail and wound our way down and not only was it a terrific workout it was breathtakingly beautiful!!

Sat Oct 06 2018

Great loop for all experience levels. Awesome panoramic views of the Columbia!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Hot and dry in early September, creek completely dried up, but the view is amazing! It’s only 2 miles if you do the upper loop (use the AT map!) and uphill for the first mile, but I made it with 4 kids and two dogs. We didn’t see any snakes, only a few lizards, but the poison oak was plentiful. ;) I can’t wait to come back in the spring!

Sat Sep 01 2018

Beautiful vistas.

Mon Aug 13 2018

great low key hike!

Wed Aug 08 2018

Flowers and the view here are great, also a nice easy trail to bring older family on.

Mon Jul 16 2018

Wonderful hike with great views, but watch out for rattlesnakes. Two times ago I had a way-too-close encounter with one. Otherwise I’ve hiked this many times without problems.

Sat Jul 14 2018

An easy hike with amazing picturesque views of Mt. Hood. We did this hike on a hot day in July. We came prepared with lots of water and sunscreen, since there was very little shade. Definitely use the map on the app—we almost made a few wrong turns due to poor signage, but the app saved the day! Brought the kids (ages 3-8) and they enjoyed it too.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Great, relatively short hike. Beautiful views.

Sun Jun 17 2018

6/16/18 My sister and I tried to do this trail Saturday morning. At a place just above the highway the trail splits, and you are supposed to turn right. We accidentally turned left, so we didn’t end up doing the actual trail, but it was still a nice out and back. Not a lot of trees so bring sunscreen!

Sat Jun 02 2018

Nice short walk with my pup. As others mentioned, there are many trail splits and no signage. When you enter from parking area, take the gravel farthest to your right. This will go down hill shortly and cross a stream. When you reach the power lines, take the right hand split if you want to follow the AT route. The trail is all gravel or small loose rocks. There are no waterfalls. Nice views of Mt Hood on a clear day. If you make this a loop, the last bit is on the street back to your car.

Sun May 27 2018

Really enjoyed the wildflowers and views of the mountains. Not too busy for Memorial Day either.

Sun May 27 2018

Perfect time to go -- sunny spring weather. Just warm enough to play in the creek.

Sat May 26 2018

Great hike! Pretty flowers & breathtaking views.

Sun May 20 2018

This trail has some nice views and healthy hill climbing. Pretty flowers of many varieties. My Lab loved the creek. Wish the signage was better, as I crossed thru the creek unnecessarily, not realizing there was a bridge just left of the crossing.