Catherine Creek Trail

Catherine Creek Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lyle, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike takes you past a waterfall, up through rocks and oaks to another waterfall to get to some beautiful views. There is a lot of poison oak, so leave your pant legs on and don't let your hands dangle aimlessly into tall vegetation along the trail. There is an rock arch that seems out of place in the environment, don't plan on getting too close it is clearly marked off.

This trail has some nice views and healthy hill climbing. Pretty flowers of many varieties. My Lab loved the creek. Wish the signage was better, as I crossed thru the creek unnecessarily, not realizing there was a bridge just left of the crossing.

My best advice for this trail is to use the AllTrails map and your GPS to make sure you’re on the trail you want to be on. The most visible trail from the parking area goes up to the left but this is NOT the red trail shown on the AT map. We hiked well more than a half-mile before I decided to check my app and realized we were not even close to the trail the map showed. We backtracked and picked up the trail and ended up having a nice hike with good views of the Gorge closer to the end, but there were no waterfalls on the loop route we took (again, the red trail shown on the app.) Also, when you get to the creek that you need to cross early in the loop, look to your left as someone built a walking bridge across it. We nearly missed it and would have had wet shoes for the rest of the trip so were thankful it was there! Not much shade on this hike and decent elevation change so carry water. Surface is also quite rocky so have to watch your footing.

Beautiful but confusing when you get to the upper reaches of the trail. Lots of varieties of wildflowers in bloom right now!

Great Mothers Day hike with the dogs. Most of the trail is exposed, so pretty warm on a hot day. Vast Gorge views.

Came here to practice shooting some landscape video clips, and was so happy to find gorgeous, cliff-top vantage points that were also easy to walk to. So many wildflowers and hawks flying so close overhead! Magical!

Did the upper half. Seemed confusing for a easy hike so know where you're going. Lots of junctions with no signs. Great views, and neat arch. Not really a loop as you have to walk on the road back to your car. Must have missed the waterfall some how?

We did the smaller, paved loop on the river side of the road. It was more of a walk than a hike, on a paved walkway; however the views of the gorge in both directions were incredible and lots of wildflowers. Very peaceful. Small waterfall in the creek down below, makes for a nice visual accent. Kids loved the easiness of the walk and this is certainly a change of pace from the dense forests of the other trails in the area. If you are looking for something quick and different, and quiet, this is a nice easy one.

View of Hood is amazing, lots of wild flowers blooming. Look out for poison oak and rattle snakes

View of Mt. Hood on a clear day is hard to beat

Beautiful and easy hike. There are some early spring flowers and I can only imagine how pretty it looks in the prime of spring. Beware of ticks, I plucked a few off of my dogs.

Just a few grass widows but views wonderful. Had not done the loop before, enjoyed it.

Wrong time of year to go. Too hot and dry, but beautiful. Will try it again in the spring

Nearly all vegetation is dried out. The arch isn't very visible. The other aspects of the trail are along the portion where you would end up walking over 4 miles and end up far from your car leaving you to either do a return trip through this desert landscape or walk along a country road with no shoulder and people speeding along.

Warning for pet owners! I have never had flea or tick issues with my dog (8 years). Came home from this hike with 5 ticks. Going to the vet tomorrow :(

Great view short hikes

Short hike with a great view of mt hood once you get to the top. Nothing to write home about though :(

I love this hike! it's somewhat of a Christmas tradition for us

Monday, May 22, 2017

Did the trail to the south of Hiway 8 - great views! There were 2 porta-potties available. The trail is well paved and has several benches at strategic points for rest or contemplation. There are some huge iris flowers ready to bloom under a pine tree. I was there very early in the morning and saw only one other person on the trail.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Unfortunately we missed the spring flowers. We took the path to the right and made our way up through the woods. When we came out by the field the view of the Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood was fantastic. All in all a 4 mile hike with 1,175 foot elevation gain. Will try again next year to see the wild flowers.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Loved the wild flowers. Great get away. We went April 26. Little traffic.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fun hike that offers different types of great visual experiences. At the end of the hike I did brush off a tick from my son's clothing and killed it, so be aware of that type of situation happening.

Friday, January 06, 2017

Short and sweet, although we couldn't see much of the trail as there was so much snow. Nice view onto the Columbia river and gorge. This hike is probably nice when it's birding and wildflower season.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Beautiful. Easy hike.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Never saw a waterfall. Glad I had a map because the trail was difficult to follow. Very rocky. Great meadows of wild flowers and good views of the Hood River

Friday, May 20, 2016

green Meadows, nice hike

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Perfect day. Wildflower and a spectacular view!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Decent short loop with views of Mt. Hood. There is not a lot of shade or breeze so beware on a hot day.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

We like this trail. It has a gentle climb through woodlands with excellent views down the Columbia River. Note that there are two "parts" to the trail: the paved trail down to the Columbia and the trail on the north side of the road leading into the hills.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

When we arrived we saw a sign saying "hunting season - wear blaze orange." We didn't know to expect that so we just did the little universal access trail across the street instead.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Catherine Creek, what a great trail. So I am use to the trails in the lush green forests of the Columbia River Gorge but this trail is pleasantly different. We hiked May 9th and didn't see all the many wildflowers that are supposed to be amazing on this trail if you hit it right. 2015 has just been an early year for wildflowers. The ideal time is supposed to be right around Easter, we'll go then next year.

Not too steep of a hike but enough of a climb to get some pretty incredible views after only about a mile and a half of hiking.

There isn't just one trail here. Many trails criss cross allowing you to hike for a while, come to "Y" in the trail and decide which way you want to go. Kind of fun that way. It seemed like you couldn't get lost as all trails started and ended back at the parking lot. When starting out from the parking lot there are two trails heading up the hill, take the one on the right if you want to see the rock arch (there aren't any instructions up there for this).

I plan on hiking this trail again at different times of the year as I think the different seasons would reveal different kinds of beauty.