Catherine Creek Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lyle, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike takes you past a waterfall, up through rocks and oaks to another waterfall to get to some beautiful views. There is a lot of poison oak, so leave your pant legs on and don't let your hands dangle aimlessly into tall vegetation along the trail. There is an rock arch that seems out of place in the environment, don't plan on getting too close it is clearly marked off. Please note that this trail crosses with many other trails in the area. Please look at map and GPS along the way to stay on the right track. Most people choose to go off track and explore other trails.

THIS HIKE WAS EPIC!! We got off trail a bit and went up and up and up and then got back on the trail and wound our way down and not only was it a terrific workout it was breathtakingly beautiful!!

Great loop for all experience levels. Awesome panoramic views of the Columbia!

Hot and dry in early September, creek completely dried up, but the view is amazing! It’s only 2 miles if you do the upper loop (use the AT map!) and uphill for the first mile, but I made it with 4 kids and two dogs. We didn’t see any snakes, only a few lizards, but the poison oak was plentiful. ;) I can’t wait to come back in the spring!

Beautiful vistas.

great low key hike!

Flowers and the view here are great, also a nice easy trail to bring older family on.

Wonderful hike with great views, but watch out for rattlesnakes. Two times ago I had a way-too-close encounter with one. Otherwise I’ve hiked this many times without problems.

An easy hike with amazing picturesque views of Mt. Hood. We did this hike on a hot day in July. We came prepared with lots of water and sunscreen, since there was very little shade. Definitely use the map on the app—we almost made a few wrong turns due to poor signage, but the app saved the day! Brought the kids (ages 3-8) and they enjoyed it too.

Great, relatively short hike. Beautiful views.

6/16/18
My sister and I tried to do this trail Saturday morning. At a place just above the highway the trail splits, and you are supposed to turn right. We accidentally turned left, so we didn’t end up doing the actual trail, but it was still a nice out and back. Not a lot of trees so bring sunscreen!

Nice short walk with my pup. As others mentioned, there are many trail splits and no signage. When you enter from parking area, take the gravel farthest to your right. This will go down hill shortly and cross a stream. When you reach the power lines, take the right hand split if you want to follow the AT route. The trail is all gravel or small loose rocks. There are no waterfalls. Nice views of Mt Hood on a clear day. If you make this a loop, the last bit is on the street back to your car.

Really enjoyed the wildflowers and views of the mountains. Not too busy for Memorial Day either.

Perfect time to go -- sunny spring weather. Just warm enough to play in the creek.

Great hike! Pretty flowers & breathtaking views.

This trail has some nice views and healthy hill climbing. Pretty flowers of many varieties. My Lab loved the creek. Wish the signage was better, as I crossed thru the creek unnecessarily, not realizing there was a bridge just left of the crossing.

My best advice for this trail is to use the AllTrails map and your GPS to make sure you’re on the trail you want to be on. The most visible trail from the parking area goes up to the left but this is NOT the red trail shown on the AT map. We hiked well more than a half-mile before I decided to check my app and realized we were not even close to the trail the map showed. We backtracked and picked up the trail and ended up having a nice hike with good views of the Gorge closer to the end, but there were no waterfalls on the loop route we took (again, the red trail shown on the app.) Also, when you get to the creek that you need to cross early in the loop, look to your left as someone built a walking bridge across it. We nearly missed it and would have had wet shoes for the rest of the trip so were thankful it was there! Not much shade on this hike and decent elevation change so carry water. Surface is also quite rocky so have to watch your footing.

Beautiful but confusing when you get to the upper reaches of the trail. Lots of varieties of wildflowers in bloom right now!

Great Mothers Day hike with the dogs. Most of the trail is exposed, so pretty warm on a hot day. Vast Gorge views.

Came here to practice shooting some landscape video clips, and was so happy to find gorgeous, cliff-top vantage points that were also easy to walk to. So many wildflowers and hawks flying so close overhead! Magical!

Did the upper half. Seemed confusing for a easy hike so know where you're going. Lots of junctions with no signs. Great views, and neat arch. Not really a loop as you have to walk on the road back to your car. Must have missed the waterfall some how?

We did the smaller, paved loop on the river side of the road. It was more of a walk than a hike, on a paved walkway; however the views of the gorge in both directions were incredible and lots of wildflowers. Very peaceful. Small waterfall in the creek down below, makes for a nice visual accent. Kids loved the easiness of the walk and this is certainly a change of pace from the dense forests of the other trails in the area. If you are looking for something quick and different, and quiet, this is a nice easy one.

View of Hood is amazing, lots of wild flowers blooming. Look out for poison oak and rattle snakes

View of Mt. Hood on a clear day is hard to beat

Beautiful and easy hike. There are some early spring flowers and I can only imagine how pretty it looks in the prime of spring. Beware of ticks, I plucked a few off of my dogs.

Just a few grass widows but views wonderful. Had not done the loop before, enjoyed it.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Wrong time of year to go. Too hot and dry, but beautiful. Will try it again in the spring

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Nearly all vegetation is dried out. The arch isn't very visible. The other aspects of the trail are along the portion where you would end up walking over 4 miles and end up far from your car leaving you to either do a return trip through this desert landscape or walk along a country road with no shoulder and people speeding along.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Warning for pet owners! I have never had flea or tick issues with my dog (8 years). Came home from this hike with 5 ticks. Going to the vet tomorrow :(

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great view short hikes

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Short hike with a great view of mt hood once you get to the top. Nothing to write home about though :(