Cascade Pass Trail

Cascade Pass Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rockport, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from July until August.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,781 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This hike was great. The switchbacks were not difficult; there were a lot of them, but the grade was easy and we hardly felt the elevation gain. I would probably rate it as moderate and I would definitely not call it lightly trafficked. The views are the pass were amazing. We saw some marmots and pikas, and although we didn’t see them, other hikers said there was a black bear in the valley and mountain goats near the pass. I’d recommend this hike to anyone.

Left Everett area at 6am, was on the trail by 8:30am. The road from Marblemount to the TH was in very good condition and an enjoyable drive. It was Labor Day weekend, so I was not surprised that we had the last parking spot next to TH. The day started out cloudy, which was ok. The clouds added a different look to the mountains. Most of the flowers were spent but there was still a little color and tons of blueberries. 33 switchbacks later, we reached the pass. The clouds decided to lift and the view was spectacular. We had hiked up to Sahale Arm last time, so this time we decided to hike down (towards Stehekin) to Pelton Basin. Loved all the Pikas and their haystacks. The hike to the basin added another 3 miles roundtrip but is not as strenuous as the hike to Sahale Arm. Our total hike ended up being 10 miles. At the pass we relaxed and enjoyed chatting with the other hikers. Most were from out of state. BTW, the privy at the pass is a nice to have. On our return we saw marmots, mountain goats and a black bear. This is one of my most favorite hikes in the PNW.

37 switch backs and most of it through the woods. Once you make it to the top you can see the meadows and several different wildlife that call it home. Don’t do it on a cloudy day. We got lucky and got to the top as the clouds broke and the views were breathtaking.

Stunning hike, go ahead and go up to Sahale Arm if you have the time, it is well worth the effort. After hearing about how horrible the switchbacks were, they really were not that bad at all. It keeps the trail at a nice, manageable grade all the way up the switchbacks and levels out a little on the way to Cascade Pass. Stayed night in Pelton Basin and had a bear lurking around camp for a few hours. No problems though. If it's cloudy, you aren't going to see much. Catch a good weather day and go do it, stunningly beautiful area.

Great views from the hiking area. Had the potential for great views on the hike but everything was obscured by fog and rain, which we were disappointed about. Overall, awesome hike. It was a Moderate hike up just “a few” switchbacks through old wood forest. Then close to the top there was a bit that was really rocky that could have ended in a bad day if one had lost their footing. It was muddy but we easily did it in only our tennis shoes after we were told we needed hiking boots and trek poles. Did not see any bear or mountain goats.

nobody talks about the glacier next to the parking lot but it's stunning and only gets better the further up you get

Beautiful hike. First 3 miles are in old forest. 36 switchbacks to climb to the pass. Not super steep, but continuous climb from the parking lot to the top of the pass. Then you break out of the trees for beautiful views. People have been climbing this pass for 9000 years!!

took a while for the clouds to burn off, but even with a little bit of fog, the views were amazing.

Easy hike nice view. Went further to Doubtful Lake. Saw bears, marmots and some birds.

First hike in North Cascades, so I don’t have much to compare it to, but this was one of the most epic hikes I’ve done. Amazing views. Beautiful wildflowers. Saw marmot, mountain goats and a black bear, even in the hottest part of the day which was surprising. I would rate it more moderate than hard as all the switchbacks make the climb very gradual. Highly recommend this hike.

Beautiful hike, we saw a black bear, lots of pika, marmots, and mountain goats. The panoramic mountain views are humbling. Hiking on to see Doubtful lake is worth it.

Don't let the "difficult" rating scare you away if you are only an occasional hiker. The switchbacks are moderate and totally doable. The view at the top is gorgeous!

Great rewarding view in the end, on the way are mostly forest view under trees. Totally lost count of number of switchbacks in the end. Went last weekend, and saw many wild flowers on the way.

This was an awesome hike with great views. The 30+ switchbacks were gentle and worth every step when you get to the traverse and then the scree slope. Then around the bend is the pass. A hike I would do again but this time try going up Sahale Arm. The 20+ mile road to the trailhead is long but the road is not bad; just a few potholes.

Great views once you get through most of the 35 switchbacks. I saw Marmots, Mountain Goats, and a black bear. Awesome hike!

amazing hike. I'd do this one over and over if I lived closer. very doable and such wonderful views.

Beautiful trail. Hiked up till Doubtful lake so added a couple more miles. Snow patch to cross in the last mile. Can be done with boots but recommend hiking poles just to be safe.

Don’t be intimidated of this hike by the elevation! It was so wonderfully engineered it didn’t feel like we climbed 1,700 feet! Drove a long, windy road for about 15 miles and there was very little parking, so get there early! There are lots of switchbacks on this hike, but you are rewarded with amazing views! While hiking we saw a black bear off in a meadow close to the top! Hiked through very minimal snow. You can continue this trail to a backpacking camp, or go the opposite way and hike 2 strenuous miles to the top of the ridge. We saw a few people up there and I heard a ranger say the view is the best from up there. Wonderful hike. I’d come back just to do it again.

great hike! the constant switchbacks are well worth it. we hiked down to the river rather than going further up but still found amazing views from everywhere. still some snow near the top but with poles had no issues. road accessible by regular vehicle.

My Wife and I hiked it yesterday up to the pass and it was well worth the hike. The last little bit does have a small snow field to cross, but with trekking poles it was easy. There were lots of other folks on the trail with no poles and they also made it across just fine. The road going up to the trailhead is smooth as can be except for the last mile or so. Even then, it is completely drivable for even a Honda Civic. This was our first trail to hike in the park and it didn’t disappoint. What an awesome payoff at the pass.