Cascade Pass Trail

Cascade Pass Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Diablo, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from July until August.

Gorgeous trail. Generally not that difficult, just uphill. There are a couple of log crossings on the trail that were slippery and precarious. Hiked on 7/3/18 and trail was snow free for the most part up till the traverse to the pass. We used spikes and didn't feel they were too precarious. Definitely doable without but I'd recommend them and poles. Road to trailhead is closed 3 miles from trail so it made for a little over 14 miles to the pass and back. Road crew indicated that they hoped to have a lane open for the holiday but based on what it looked like on our way down I'd say I'd it is open it's definitely going to be high clearance only at points. Recommend bear spray, we saw 3 on the hike up near the pass (mom and two cubs)

The switchbacks feel like they go on forever, but once you come out of the trees the views are stunning. I'd recommend at least continuing up to Doubtful Lake from Cascade Pass.

Stunning.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

For me, stopping the hike at cascade pass is a mistake as the hike is mostly in the forest. The view at the pass is great but if you just keep going toward Sahale arm for 40 min, you switch side of the mountain and can get a great view of Doubtful lake with the valley in the back.

Sunday, August 13, 2017