Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm Trail

Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Diablo, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

rock climbing

The first several miles of this hike were some relatively easy switchbacks. The wildlife is beautiful and you may see marmots, mountain goats, a black bear, pica, mule deer, and grouse.

Did the whole thing up to the glacier and didn't think the views were worth that extra steep climb. Coming down I would have much rather just gone to Doubtful Lake and then headed back. The trail up until the pass was fantastic.

Absolutely breathtaking beautiful view!. This app says it is 11 miles out and back but by all of our devices it showed us at almost 15 miles out and back if you go all the way to Sahale Arm camp. There were a few snow fields but nothing that required any special equipment. We started our hike at 7 AM which was smart because as we were coming down around 2 PM there was an insane amount of people just heading up making for a very trafficked downward hike. Just the views alone at Doubtful Lake are worth the hike but I promise if you don't mind a difficult hike you will love this. Lots of bugs at this time of year so don't forget your bug spray!

The road conditions aren't too bad. The first 10 miles after turning off Route 20 are paved, and there aren't too many potholes on the gravel sections.

The view from the trailhead is pretty good, but I thought it may get better if the clouds cleared up. I started walking at 10am. Most of the surrounding view was hidden from me in mist, so I focused on walking. The trail itself isn't very steep until the final scramble. I would consider it suitable for most people. There's some snow on the trail, but it's easily passable without microspikes. There are a few spots where you have to jump up onto the snow to cross it, but that's as challenging as it got. I would recommend bringing poles to help with the ascent and descent.

I made it up to the glacier at around noon and waited for the clouds to clear. They eventually did, and the resulting view was a real treat. I spent plenty of time coming down taking pictures of the lovely wildflowers. Overall, the trip took me around 4 hours of hiking with a couple hours of sightseeing thrown in. I didn't spend too long waiting in the parking lot because the flies were really annoying.

Awesome views and scenery but as of July 15th there are patches of snow that will make hike upto doubtful and sehale arms little harder..make sure you have hiking boots and hiking sticks..that will help..we were not sure about the trail so was on regular sports shes but still made it through..it is little harder then expected going up the hill but it was so worth it!!!!!

camped the night last day of september in below 24F temperature. Fall colors started to show and the combination of sun, fog, some snow showers and freezing rain made it a complete experience.

Monday, July 04, 2016

More difficult than we expected, but the views and wildlife were spectacular.

Saturday, August 06, 2011