Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm Trail

Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Diablo, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

rock climbing

The first several miles of this hike were some relatively easy switchbacks. The wildlife is beautiful and you may see marmots, mountain goats, a black bear, pica, mule deer, and grouse.

This hike is the same as Cascade Pass I believe since it includes Sahale Arm and Doubtful Lake. I'm repeating my review here: Beautiful hike! Not sure I would call it difficult but it was certainly steep with plenty of switchbacks. I think maybe the views helped distract me from the steep trail, but I don't recall being completely wiped out from it. Glaciers top all the mountains and you can see large chunks falling away, and hear the glacial runoff stream down the mountains. Very green the whole way with grassy meadows at the top and sections of beautiful red wildflowers. Stay on the trails here so as not to squash these delicate plants. Plenty of marmots and even some deer. I topped out above Doubtful Lake, taking in the panoramic view. Highly recommended hike for anyone who has hiked steep trails before! Bring plenty of water, food, and good hiking shoes.

Incredible. Sunny and blue skies after a light snow fall. Only made it to the glacier as the trail becomes hard to find due to snow (and ranger suggested possibly needing a pickaxe), but the views are unparalleled the entire way up. The road to the trailhead is slow with lots of washboards and some big potholes, but doable. Start early to get up before the fog rolls in.

Thursday 9-14-2017: My friend, wife and I hiked to Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm. The weather was sunny and the temperature was pleasant 52 to 75 degrees. The mountains, glaciers, and the lake were beautiful. There were abundant ripe blueberries around Cascade Pass. We also saw chipmunks, squirrels, pikas, a deer, a mother and a baby goat. It was a great hike.

Once you get out of the switchbacks in the trees, the views are unbelievable. We carried on to Doubtful lake, then turned around. We also managed to see a bear sleeping on a glacier - can't blame him, it was hot!

One of the best trails I've done at any park. It was smoky from the BC wildfires which really obscured the long distance views of the range, but what I could still see was spectacular. Doubtful Lake was beautiful. We saw plenty of wildlife including mountain goats, many chill marmots, grouse, and an extremely close encounter with a black bear a few minutes past the "toilet" stop going up. Adrenaline rush! One downside, and I cannot emphasize this enough, were never-ending swarms of biting flies and horseflies. You will be endlessly harassed by the biting flies the first 3 miles of switchbacks through the forest but they will get better after the toilet overlook. From there though, it's persistent horseflies. The flies were too much for many groups we saw on the trail who ended up turning back. I've you can deal with them though, this trail is so worth it!

Really, an amazingly beautiful hike. Starting with a lot of switchbacks (36?) on a nice trail, and eventually turning into a rocky climb. The view over doubtful lake is amazing, with its crystal blue water. I would say that the view from the top is worth the effort, and you'll get some nice cool breeze off the glaciers. We saw a bunch of Marmots and Pika. It took up about 3 hours to get to the top, including a stop for lunch. Parking was pretty packed when we arrived at 11, but we were still able to find a spot alone the road without much issue.

Did the whole thing up to the glacier and didn't think the views were worth that extra steep climb. Coming down I would have much rather just gone to Doubtful Lake and then headed back. The trail up until the pass was fantastic.

Absolutely breathtaking beautiful view!. This app says it is 11 miles out and back but by all of our devices it showed us at almost 15 miles out and back if you go all the way to Sahale Arm camp. There were a few snow fields but nothing that required any special equipment. We started our hike at 7 AM which was smart because as we were coming down around 2 PM there was an insane amount of people just heading up making for a very trafficked downward hike. Just the views alone at Doubtful Lake are worth the hike but I promise if you don't mind a difficult hike you will love this. Lots of bugs at this time of year so don't forget your bug spray!

The road conditions aren't too bad. The first 10 miles after turning off Route 20 are paved, and there aren't too many potholes on the gravel sections.

The view from the trailhead is pretty good, but I thought it may get better if the clouds cleared up. I started walking at 10am. Most of the surrounding view was hidden from me in mist, so I focused on walking. The trail itself isn't very steep until the final scramble. I would consider it suitable for most people. There's some snow on the trail, but it's easily passable without microspikes. There are a few spots where you have to jump up onto the snow to cross it, but that's as challenging as it got. I would recommend bringing poles to help with the ascent and descent.

I made it up to the glacier at around noon and waited for the clouds to clear. They eventually did, and the resulting view was a real treat. I spent plenty of time coming down taking pictures of the lovely wildflowers. Overall, the trip took me around 4 hours of hiking with a couple hours of sightseeing thrown in. I didn't spend too long waiting in the parking lot because the flies were really annoying.

Awesome views and scenery but as of July 15th there are patches of snow that will make hike upto doubtful and sehale arms little harder..make sure you have hiking boots and hiking sticks..that will help..we were not sure about the trail so was on regular sports shes but still made it through..it is little harder then expected going up the hill but it was so worth it!!!!!

Monday, October 17, 2016

camped the night last day of september in below 24F temperature. Fall colors started to show and the combination of sun, fog, some snow showers and freezing rain made it a complete experience.

Monday, July 04, 2016

More difficult than we expected, but the views and wildlife were spectacular.