Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Diablo, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

rock climbing

The first several miles of this hike were some relatively easy switchbacks. The wildlife is beautiful and you may see marmots, mountain goats, a black bear, pica, mule deer, and grouse.

My favorite hike!!!

9/9/18 Hiked up to the camp with no trail issues. Keep an eye on the weather report and everything else is clear to go.
Rough hike to do in one day. Very rewarding.
Easy to get to and well maintained.

Hard trail? Umm, yeah! Great views? For sure! Worth it!

Even with the haze of recent fires, this hike offered some of the most incredible views I’ve ever experienced on a hike. The first couple of miles are pretty monotonous switchbacks through the woods, but isn’t too difficult. Once you finally break out of the tree line, you have an unobstructed view of the mountain that you parked next to at the trailhead. It’s INCREDIBLE! Beautiful, immense, just breathtaking beauty. We took a bunch of panoramic pictures even before the pass, it really was that strikingly beautiful. The views at the pass itself were amazing as well, but the haze was thicker there, still great views but in photos will look a little obscured. We continued onto Doubtful Lake, and that required some additional steep hiking. As the poster a few posts below noted, the trail to Doubtful Lake is not maintained and is STEEP and narrow, and overgrown in a few spots. But certainly doable if you take your time. The lake itself is great, very serene and clear. If you just want photos though, take pictures from above and save yourself the steep hike back up; its hard to capture the immensity of the mountain that feeds the lake from the lake itself. Overall, even if you just hike to the pass, do do DO it! It’s great!

This hike is long and strenuous but the vistas along the way and at the top make the trip a must!

We went from the base of the Cascade Pass Trail to Doubtful Lake and back. Let me just say, it was incredible! There were very few people there, which made it much less crowded than other big hikes in Washington (such as Rainier). We saw a black bear and several chipmunks, and there is hardly any snow left. The trail to Cascade Pass can hardly be considered difficult (though the switchback do get monotonous), but the trail down to Doubtful Lake is much less used and very very steep. However, I would definitely still recommend it. The water was so clear!

Great trail, camp grounds at base aren’t very level but are sufficient. A great view at the top of the switch backs. Going before June is dicey because the weather is still foggy and unpredictable.
Enjoy the beautiful views and naturalism.

Backpacked and camped at glacier camp. It was amazing. One of the best experiences I’ve done

Did this hike last week and was blown away. Started at about 9 am with fog lacing the switchbacks. Saw pika, marmots, mountain goats, and a black bear and her two cubs on the way. Fog broke perfectly in time as the trail curved towards Sahale Mountain from Doubtful Lake. Perfectly clear for pics the whole way down. Insane. Overall, mellow grade - a long & perfect day hike -

We tried to get an overnight permit but it was full (same thing happened to us 2 years ago). We were at the Ranger Station at 630am and 7th in line, but it seemed people had reserved it long before. We shook off the disappointment and did it as a day hike, and ended up happy we could do it with just our light packs. Some of the most gorgeous views in the Cascades. The difficulty up to Cascade Pass is only moderate (many switch backs but low grade), but after that there are some steep sections, especially the last little scramble. The views are well worth it and surround you as soon as you get near the pass. I’m lucky I didn’t trip more as I spent all my time looking around me and not down at where my feet were!

This is my favorite hike within driving distance to Seattle. I haven’t been since last year but am planning a return this summer. Stunning views. Definitely a climb but not difficult like Lake Serene. ❤️ this hike!

My very favorite hike to do in Washington with absolutely amazing views. I highly recommend this hike!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

This hike is the same as Cascade Pass I believe since it includes Sahale Arm and Doubtful Lake. I'm repeating my review here: Beautiful hike! Not sure I would call it difficult but it was certainly steep with plenty of switchbacks. I think maybe the views helped distract me from the steep trail, but I don't recall being completely wiped out from it. Glaciers top all the mountains and you can see large chunks falling away, and hear the glacial runoff stream down the mountains. Very green the whole way with grassy meadows at the top and sections of beautiful red wildflowers. Stay on the trails here so as not to squash these delicate plants. Plenty of marmots and even some deer. I topped out above Doubtful Lake, taking in the panoramic view. Highly recommended hike for anyone who has hiked steep trails before! Bring plenty of water, food, and good hiking shoes.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Incredible. Sunny and blue skies after a light snow fall. Only made it to the glacier as the trail becomes hard to find due to snow (and ranger suggested possibly needing a pickaxe), but the views are unparalleled the entire way up. The road to the trailhead is slow with lots of washboards and some big potholes, but doable. Start early to get up before the fog rolls in.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Thursday 9-14-2017: My friend, wife and I hiked to Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm. The weather was sunny and the temperature was pleasant 52 to 75 degrees. The mountains, glaciers, and the lake were beautiful. There were abundant ripe blueberries around Cascade Pass. We also saw chipmunks, squirrels, pikas, a deer, a mother and a baby goat. It was a great hike.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Once you get out of the switchbacks in the trees, the views are unbelievable. We carried on to Doubtful lake, then turned around. We also managed to see a bear sleeping on a glacier - can't blame him, it was hot!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

One of the best trails I've done at any park. It was smoky from the BC wildfires which really obscured the long distance views of the range, but what I could still see was spectacular. Doubtful Lake was beautiful. We saw plenty of wildlife including mountain goats, many chill marmots, grouse, and an extremely close encounter with a black bear a few minutes past the "toilet" stop going up. Adrenaline rush! One downside, and I cannot emphasize this enough, were never-ending swarms of biting flies and horseflies. You will be endlessly harassed by the biting flies the first 3 miles of switchbacks through the forest but they will get better after the toilet overlook. From there though, it's persistent horseflies. The flies were too much for many groups we saw on the trail who ended up turning back. I've you can deal with them though, this trail is so worth it!

Monday, August 28, 2017

Really, an amazingly beautiful hike. Starting with a lot of switchbacks (36?) on a nice trail, and eventually turning into a rocky climb. The view over doubtful lake is amazing, with its crystal blue water. I would say that the view from the top is worth the effort, and you'll get some nice cool breeze off the glaciers. We saw a bunch of Marmots and Pika. It took up about 3 hours to get to the top, including a stop for lunch. Parking was pretty packed when we arrived at 11, but we were still able to find a spot alone the road without much issue.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Did the whole thing up to the glacier and didn't think the views were worth that extra steep climb. Coming down I would have much rather just gone to Doubtful Lake and then headed back. The trail up until the pass was fantastic.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Absolutely breathtaking beautiful view!. This app says it is 11 miles out and back but by all of our devices it showed us at almost 15 miles out and back if you go all the way to Sahale Arm camp. There were a few snow fields but nothing that required any special equipment. We started our hike at 7 AM which was smart because as we were coming down around 2 PM there was an insane amount of people just heading up making for a very trafficked downward hike. Just the views alone at Doubtful Lake are worth the hike but I promise if you don't mind a difficult hike you will love this. Lots of bugs at this time of year so don't forget your bug spray!

Monday, July 24, 2017

The road conditions aren't too bad. The first 10 miles after turning off Route 20 are paved, and there aren't too many potholes on the gravel sections.

The view from the trailhead is pretty good, but I thought it may get better if the clouds cleared up. I started walking at 10am. Most of the surrounding view was hidden from me in mist, so I focused on walking. The trail itself isn't very steep until the final scramble. I would consider it suitable for most people. There's some snow on the trail, but it's easily passable without microspikes. There are a few spots where you have to jump up onto the snow to cross it, but that's as challenging as it got. I would recommend bringing poles to help with the ascent and descent.

I made it up to the glacier at around noon and waited for the clouds to clear. They eventually did, and the resulting view was a real treat. I spent plenty of time coming down taking pictures of the lovely wildflowers. Overall, the trip took me around 4 hours of hiking with a couple hours of sightseeing thrown in. I didn't spend too long waiting in the parking lot because the flies were really annoying.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Awesome views and scenery but as of July 15th there are patches of snow that will make hike upto doubtful and sehale arms little harder..make sure you have hiking boots and hiking sticks..that will help..we were not sure about the trail so was on regular sports shes but still made it through..it is little harder then expected going up the hill but it was so worth it!!!!!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Spectacular views, unfortunately the weather turned foggy before we could watch the sunset or stars. Very windy but beautiful.

Monday, October 17, 2016

camped the night last day of september in below 24F temperature. Fall colors started to show and the combination of sun, fog, some snow showers and freezing rain made it a complete experience.

Monday, July 04, 2016

More difficult than we expected, but the views and wildlife were spectacular.

recorded wow