Carkeek Park Salmon

Carkeek Park Salmon is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seattle, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

icy

Nice little trail. Quite muddy when we walked it today. Probably wise to have shoes with good traction just to be safe for the muddy inclines.

Saturday, October 26, 2019. Happy, sunny day for Fall edition of the very challenging Carkeek 12 hour Halloween Fun Run from 7am-7pm. Too October much o. the nippy side for summertime shoeless circuits but just right for my Marathon Monk zori from Mt. Hiei near Kyoto, Japan and, though mush less than half of the super-runners, these 76-yo legs couldn't be happier with 16.5 laps pf the 1.93 mile park perimeter trails up-and-down the South and North Bluffs.

Very boring trail through the woods with no views and frequent car and airplane noise. I’d say come if you want to hang at the beach or bring kids to an open area to run around, but the trail isn’t worth doing.

definitely my favorite for a seattle hike that's close to home! the park is so small that you can easily take all of the side trails and network your way back to the main loop. worth it to check out the north side of the park since you'll see some great seascapes and woodland.

Pretty, the beach is beautiful!

Nice trail . Easy hiking.

It’s a really nice area and would be a great area to hike. However there were at least 200 children running around when I came and it was so packed that we left almost immediately after arriving. Only hike this area on a day that isn’t sunny unless you are prepared for overwhelming crowds.

Shaded trails some roots mid trail. But, considering the traffic this park gets it’s very well maintained. Evidence of consistent trail maintenance is everywhere. Only problem is that there are some “unofficial” side trails that lead to some very steep cliffs on the west side of the park, above the railroad line. Children should be cautious and watched carefully on these trails especially.

Beautiful views! So green and fun to throw rocks in the sound after the hike!

Nice

Sun Oct 21 2018

when we went there was a sewer odor to the water which made the trail less attractive right away. we parked at a park where there were several homeless people sleeping? next to their home made pipes. I kept worrying that my dog would find something harmful. wouldn't go back.

Sun Sep 16 2018

good trail for beginners like littles. my kids do fine 5,4, and 22mo.

Mon Aug 13 2018

I’m visiting Washington so I decided to drive around Seattle in search of scenic views. I saw pictures of this place online and decided to check it out. Definitely a nice park and the view of Puget Sound is nice at sunset. Had the chance to see the train pass under the bridge so that was cool. Nice place to have a bonfire and relax.

Sun Jan 14 2018

Sat Dec 23 2017

Very fresh air

Mon Nov 13 2017

A quick and easy escape from the city. There is access to the beach and an overlook for seal watching, but I haven't seen any.

Thu Sep 14 2017

Lots to do at this park. Hike, jog, beachcomb, playground, watch sunset, watch salmon run etc. pretty forested for an in city park. Some of the side trails are like hiking in the woods with very few people.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Easy short hike within the city. A few uphills but barely broke a sweat. Start and end near the playground so the kids can run around after or take the bridge to the beach. Picnic tables in park seem to be reserved early.

Sun Jun 19 2016

I have been to this trail10+ times, and I really like it. I always change up the route so I don't get bored. There are a few uphill areas that are a good workout. My only complaint is that I've encountered a few sketchy people in the area hanging out on the trail. One time a younger homeless man started screaming at me. Luckily my husband was with me, but the man was scary enough that several walkers got involved in the dispute. Since then, I'm nervous going back. Otherwise a great trail.

Mon Jun 13 2016

Easy

Fri Jan 22 2016

The beach, especially, is lovely, and watching the train snake its way along the shore conjures a sense of adventure. Trails can be pretty steep.

Tue Dec 29 2015

This is a great little park that is only 2 bus rides away from me. There is a lot to do for such a small area - there are different trails, a wetland area, a picnic area, a water treatment building, and a beach that is accessible via parking lot. The beach is a hidden gem in Seattle, it is small but beautiful, especially on a sunny day. The trail I took was very easy and pretty short.

Wed Jul 30 2014

Nice little spot to go for a walk during the week! We enjoyed setting up on a picnic table and having a few drinks for my friends birthday

Sun Jun 08 2014

Considering this park is in the city, it is unusually wonderful for a Puget Sound waterfront location. I also agree that, considering its location, it's really not that crowded.

Sun Nov 03 2013

With a big windstorm on Saturday, and looking for a spot for a quick walk, we decided to try Carkeek Park. We actually had a lot of sun, moderate traffic on the trails, and an excellent time. From the parking at the east end of the Lower Meadow, we to the Hillside Trail, cut across to the Lower Ridge Trail, and took the South Bluff trail down to the mouth of Piper's Creek where we were treated to salmon coming into the creek. We dawdled a bit, trying to catch a photo of the effort over the first "ladder", but moved on up the creek. Took the Brick Road Trail to the Hillside Trail and back to parking. A quick and easy 1.5 mile jaunt. Nothing special, but nice since we thought the storm was going to wipe out our weekend. There are other options, on both sides of NW Carkeek Park Road, and the inbound salmon run promises entertainment.

Thu Dec 06 2012

Neighborhood park with a nice network of trails. The trails are rarely crowded even on the weekend. Salmon are reliable in the fall.