Carkeek Park Salmon

Carkeek Park Salmon is a 2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Seattle, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A quick and easy escape from the city. There is access to the beach and an overlook for seal watching, but I haven't seen any.

Lots to do at this park. Hike, jog, beachcomb, playground, watch sunset, watch salmon run etc. pretty forested for an in city park. Some of the side trails are like hiking in the woods with very few people.

Easy short hike within the city. A few uphills but barely broke a sweat. Start and end near the playground so the kids can run around after or take the bridge to the beach. Picnic tables in park seem to be reserved early.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

I have been to this trail10+ times, and I really like it. I always change up the route so I don't get bored. There are a few uphill areas that are a good workout.

My only complaint is that I've encountered a few sketchy people in the area hanging out on the trail. One time a younger homeless man started screaming at me. Luckily my husband was with me, but the man was scary enough that several walkers got involved in the dispute. Since then, I'm nervous going back. Otherwise a great trail.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Easy

Friday, January 22, 2016

The beach, especially, is lovely, and watching the train snake its way along the shore conjures a sense of adventure. Trails can be pretty steep.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

This is a great little park that is only 2 bus rides away from me. There is a lot to do for such a small area - there are different trails, a wetland area, a picnic area, a water treatment building, and a beach that is accessible via parking lot. The beach is a hidden gem in Seattle, it is small but beautiful, especially on a sunny day. The trail I took was very easy and pretty short.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nice little spot to go for a walk during the week! We enjoyed setting up on a picnic table and having a few drinks for my friends birthday

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Considering this park is in the city, it is unusually wonderful for a Puget Sound waterfront location. I also agree that, considering its location, it's really not that crowded.

Sunday, November 03, 2013

With a big windstorm on Saturday, and looking for a spot for a quick walk, we decided to try Carkeek Park. We actually had a lot of sun, moderate traffic on the trails, and an excellent time.

From the parking at the east end of the Lower Meadow, we to the Hillside Trail, cut across to the Lower Ridge Trail, and took the South Bluff trail down to the mouth of Piper's Creek where we were treated to salmon coming into the creek. We dawdled a bit, trying to catch a photo of the effort over the first "ladder", but moved on up the creek. Took the Brick Road Trail to the Hillside Trail and back to parking. A quick and easy 1.5 mile jaunt. Nothing special, but nice since we thought the storm was going to wipe out our weekend.

There are other options, on both sides of NW Carkeek Park Road, and the inbound salmon run promises entertainment.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Neighborhood park with a nice network of trails. The trails are rarely crowded even on the weekend. Salmon are reliable in the fall.